Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making copies of keys with chips?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossy1 View Post
    Girlfriend has an ES with regular keys (Transponder Key), not FAST key. This is even confirmed with her VIN ML32A4, A4= ES in the US or SE in Canada. I know it's rare but there are a few out there. Has factory Cruise, Bluetooth, Aluminum Wheels. Etc. Even came with the Rockford Fosgate upgrade, which is very nice. I have noticed people actually calling this an RF. Anyhow I don't mean this to sound snarky or anything, just sharing what I have seen and what I know is possible.
    Cool! I didn't know you were talking about a Rockford Fosgate edition.

We looked into this a couple months ago here in another thread. Here is a link to that thread: Rockford Fosgate Edition Mirage (U.S.)

Mitsubishi started with a DE model, put some ES gear on, included some Rockford Fosgate equipment and badging, and called it the Rockford Fosgate edition giving Mitsubishi one more trim level to their lineup: DE, RF, & ES.

Here is a snippet from the Mitsubishi press release: Mitsubishi Motors Announces 2015 Mirage Rockford Fosgate Edition
    The Rockford Fosgate Edition starts with the Mirage DE and adds a 300-Watt, Rockford Fosgate ecoPUNCH™ sound system, steering audio control, Bluetooth® hands free phone system and audio, cruise control, leather wrapped steering wheel, alloy wheels and special badging.
    Not sure why Mitsubishi did not include pushbutton start and FAST key with this, except to perhaps keep costs down? Other items left off include fog lamps, leather shift knob (all RFs got a CVT), driver's seat height adjustment, and side mirror turn signals.

More details on trim levels, pricing, and port options can be found at Mitsubishi's website: 2015 Mirage Pricing.

As you can see, all ESes (and only the ESes) got the pushbutton start and FAST key. I got one, and though it was not an option I had sought out, I like it's convenience. The more I learn how to work with this FAST key, the more I like it. The only problem I have is the FAST keys are crazy expensive. That is what caught my interest in your one post - a cheap replacement FAST key. If you ever find one, please share it here.

That's a pretty rare model Mirage! It would be good to get some detailed photos posted of the car's exterior and interior. Other RF members have shared info about the Rockford Fosgate equipment installed. Good to know there are others here too!

Thanks.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Mossy1 (04-13-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts
    Girlfriend has an ES with regular keys (Transponder Key), not FAST key. This is even confirmed with her VIN ML32A4, A4= ES in the US or SE in Canada.
    Regarding VIN info, I'm not sure why Mitsubishi contradicts themselves here.

Mitsubishi has details on interpreting their VINs online. Mitsubishicars.com: What is a VIN?

Clicking on the link for 2015 Model Vehicle Identification Number Codes takes you to a .pdf that describes exactly what you are saying - that VIN describes an ES. Maybe their VIN coding format wasn't structured to include the RF - who knows?

Also, someone here shared this neat little feature of their website. Check out this page on Mitsubishicars.com:

Monroney Sticker: 2015MG44CCVT5-A83--P1987P

In the URL/address bar of your browser, replace that VIN with yours, and it will give you the Monroney (window) sticker for your VIN. I saved the .pdf for mine.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Eggman; 04-13-2016 at 08:52 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Mossy1 (04-13-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 48.2 mpg (US) ... 20.5 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.8 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ThunderG For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-13-2016)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Cool! I didn't know you were talking about a Rockford Fosgate edition.

That's a pretty rare model Mirage! It would be good to get some detailed photos posted of the car's exterior and interior. Other RF members have shared info about the Rockford Fosgate equipment installed. Good to know there are others here too!

Thanks.
    I will post up some pics of hers maybe this weekend. We are already planning some upgrades, like fog lights and I ordered her a Fortin EVO-One, remote starter/Alarm/Bypass which I will be putting in soon. They look fairly easy for this model, most of the connections are right by the fuse block. Still have to look into the best place to get into the ignition wiring. Might have to open the steering column. I'll take some pics as I go. Thanks for the info and links. I didn't know they was it's own trim level! Sound is great so far and she is happy.
    Last edited by Mossy1; 04-13-2016 at 05:30 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    I will post up some pics of hers maybe this weekend. We are already planning some upgrades, like fog lights and I ordered her a Fortin EVO-One, remote starter/Alarm/Bypass which I will be putting in soon. They look fairly easy for this model, most of the connections are right by the fuse block. Still have to look into the best place to get into the ignition wiring. Might have to open the steering column. I'll take some pics as I go. Thanks for the info and links. I didn't know they was it's own trim level! Sound is great so far and she is happy.
    Oddly enough, it's only a separate model for the very tail end of 2015. The '17 offers the Rockford stereo under accessories, not as a separate trim.

Hmm...an ACCESSORY. Maybe the Rockford gear can be purchased at the parts counter and swapped into other years and models?

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Daox (04-14-2016),Eggman (04-14-2016),inuvik (04-14-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,569 Times in 1,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Oddly enough, it's only a separate model for the very tail end of 2015. The '17 offers the Rockford stereo under accessories, not as a separate trim.

Hmm...an ACCESSORY. Maybe the Rockford gear can be purchased at the parts counter and swapped into other years and models?
    Should be able to, it looks like a plug and play with the OEM head unit with a direct plug in from the standard wiring. No splicing required. The biggest pain (at least to me) would be to feed the wiring for the sub unit under the pseudo faux carpet. Won't really know until somebody plunks down the $$ and does it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well, I finally got around to doing this and it WORKED! I almost lost one of my two factory keys so bought some Iilco ones off eBay, had them cut at Lowes for like $3, and programmed it myself. All went off without a hitch.

Thanks,

Conor

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cwatkin For This Useful Post:

Mark (06-30-2022)

We bought a used 2017 a little while ago, it is not came with one key. I’m to chicken to try and program a second one, my scan tool says it’ll wipe all keys and I didn’t want to brick a car…so the car isn’t being put into service until we either get a second from
    A dealer or locksmith.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    for the push button start the battery on the key is only for the keyless entry and for the wireless transmit even when the battery is dead it can start as long as its on the keyslot so technically you can still use it without a battery so there it is, it can be use without a battery but you will need to open the door manually.. old thread though.