Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are drums extremely close tolerance (tight, can't get drum over new OEM brake shoes)?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Are drums extremely close tolerance (tight, can't get drum over new OEM brake shoes)?

I've never seen anything like this, the adjusters are reset, e brake off, but drum won't quite go over shoes. Any ideas? It looks perfect, but maybe the slight rust ridge on the drum is the issue? I've never had drums that couldn't be adjusted loose enough to not even touch the shoes. Tks!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    You didn't mention what year Mirage you are working on. You can check THIS post for a few ideas.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    You may find that some aftermarket shoes do not fit correctly. It seems that the Mirage likes OEM shoes.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    2015, OEM Akebono shoes from Mitsu, correct shoes
    I have never touched the adjuster nut in the console, does that always need to be backed off?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Also, the axle stub has oil on it. Now contaminated with rust crumbs. Necessary to re oil? What oil? Thanks all, I'm working in the wet weather

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I just pulled my drums off a few days ago to check the shoes. Without moving the shoes or touching anything, I still needed to "persuade" one of the drums back on. I set the drum on the stub axle as far as it would go, and then used my hands to clamp/squeeze the drum into position. If that didn't work, I was ready to go for a hammer.

Make sure the stub axle is clean. A little bit of oil on it may help. Nothing is rotating on the stub axle surface. The stub axle is just holding the inner rear wheel bearing race. But some oil on the stub axle will help seat the bearing race as you slide the drum on. A bunch of rust and junk on the stub axle isn't going to help. So make sure that surface is clean. Put any kind of oil on it you have handy.

I disassembled the rear brakes on my 2015 and then put everything back together. I did not install new brake shoes. I just put the same shoes back on. Guess what...my drums didn't fit back on! Here's how I got them back on...

Once the new brake shoes are installed, both shoes can still move right/left and up/down a slight amount on the backing plate. Your problem may just be that the shoes aren’t perfectly positioned right now. This is usually easy to see by sticking your head into the rear fender-well and looking behind the drum as you slide it on. You may have to nudge the shoes right/left or up/down to center them in the drum. Once you do that, the drums should slip on.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

inuvik (12-02-2023),tomrad (12-02-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by tomrad View Post
    2015, OEM Akebono shoes from Mitsu, correct shoes
    I have never touched the adjuster nut in the console, does that always need to be backed off?
    It doesn’t always have to be backed off but it sometimes helps. I’ve had some with sticky e-brake cables.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (12-02-2023),tomrad (12-03-2023),Top_Fuel (12-03-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

got it!

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    It doesn’t always have to be backed off but it sometimes helps. I’ve had some with sticky e-brake cables.
    I wiggled, forced, etc. till it went on. Felt tight to turn drum by hand, so I pulled e brake handle and that aligned everything, smooth as new.
    Thanks all. I got one side done.
    I didn't oil the axle stub, I just wiped off the residue. Should be ok I guess? Stub was clean, like new.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tomrad For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-03-2023),inuvik (12-02-2023),Top_Fuel (12-03-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  IMG_1629.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  96.3 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  IMG_1614.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  98.3 KB

Notice the parking brake lever in the top (after) photo, compared to the (before) lower photo.