Thread: Mirage being considered for assembly in Indonesia

Mirage being considered for assembly in Indonesia

Mitsubishi's decision to locate Mirage production in Thailand had a lot to do with big tax incentives offered by the Thai government for manufacturers that can produce affordable, efficient cars there. (To qualify for the incentives, the cars have to beat speficic fuel economy targets and engine displacement limits, and be mass produced -- 150k a year, I think.) Oh, and low labour costs help too, of course.

Now the government of Indonesia is apparently considering copying Thailand's successful plan, in order to spur manufacturing in that country.

The Indonesian government is working out a set of rules/incentives around the "Low-Cost Green Car" (LCGC) segment, and it appears the Mirage is ideally suited for it.

Mitsubishi said that they would be ready if the company had to develop a 1.0-liter (1,000cc) and 1.2-liter engine (1,200cc) specifically for low-cost green car regulation.
    The program would require that the powertrain be locally assembled. In return, it is implied that incentives/concessions would be made to the company which would make the car much more locally affordable and help expand Indonesian sales.

SOURCE: http://www.thecardriving.com/read/73...-lcgc-segment/

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Indonesia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    yup it's still hot issue in here...

the engine displacement limit is, 1200cc for petrol engine and 1500cc for diesel engine... and must be able to achieve at least 1:20km/l.
    i thought current mirage could easily achieve that fuel consumption.

by the way am i the only want who wish mitsubishi should built small turbo diesel engine <1.5ltr? for next or lcgc mirage hehe

thanks

Thanks for the input anginlumpur.

As for beating 20 km/L, I guess it depends on who is doing the measuring! Southeast Asian countries use the Euro/NEDC rating (at least the ones I've checked --- what about Indonesia?), and it's 21 km/L for the 1.2L 5-speed Mirage. So it already qualifies by that yard stick.

And a small diesel would definitely be interesting!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    They said it had to produce 150K a year. Do you guys think that there going to hit it?

150k/yr was for Thailand-based production (which is exported globally), and they've already announced they're increasing production capacity of the hatchback to 200k/yr.

See thread: Mitsu expanding Mirage production with Bt 1 billion investment in Thailand

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks
    hi
    currently i'm not sure, which regulation rating the government used to measuring fuel consumption.... as far as i know, they haven't make or choose any regulation for testing new car fuel consumption....
    let me tell you when they announce their fuel consumption measuring regulation.

as far as mitsubishi advertise this car in my country. they usually held an event of Eco Drive Challenge in several major cities which invite mirage user to compete each other, to get the best fuel consumption. on some variety route. at the end of event the winner usually around 1:22 to 1:27km/l AT and MT had comparable FC, on rural and hill route usually AT fell behind and on the opposite on the highway AT usually got better FC.

how about in your country? how your government measure a cars fuel consumption?

yes, i agreed.. i think small diesel could got even better fc, also able to produce more torque on lower rpm and on the enthusiast side very easy to push engine performance

sadly, even if mitsubishi decide to produce this diesel mirage... its likely small to be sold in my country

Thanks

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks
    i'm not sure about the production capacity.
    currently they assembly mitsubishi outlander sport in indonesia. maybe they need to invest more to increase their producing capacity and variant

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anginlumpur View Post
    how about in your country? how your government measure a cars fuel consumption?
    In Canada... the government has laid out rules for testing a car in the laboratory on a dynamometer. One test for highway, one for city. The automakers actually do the tests themselves, and then report the numbers back to the government (Natural Resources Canada). The government randomly repeats some of the tests to try to keep the automakers honest!

Our tests are similar to the tests the U.S. EPA used to use until 2008 (when the EPA made big changes to make the ratings more "realistic"). In Canada, we are just about to update our tests to mimic the newer EPA tests.

PS - I like the idea of the Eco Drive Challenges to demonstrate fuel economy. It shows regular people that if you drive attentively, you can get excellent numbers.