Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: warranty work: heater core replaced

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    I wouldn't pour any goo in that may cause problems elsewhere and will not repair the root cause.

In this forum there is a more recent thread about aftermarket cores that make replacement easier by not needing to take the dash out.
    See:
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...asier?p=134096

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

7milesout (03-31-2022),Persephone (03-31-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,543 Times in 1,475 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    I wouldn't pour any goo in that may cause problems elsewhere and will not repair the root cause.
    Yeah...only use something like that as an absolute last resort.

Like foama was saying, there's a replacement heater core available that has removable tubes on it. This means that you don't have to remove the entire dash to replace it. So instead of taking all day (or days) you might be able to knock it out in a few hours.

I couldn't find this heater core for sale in the US. So you may have to order it from Europe and have it shipped over here. Check out THIS post for info and pictures someone posted when they installed this heater core in their Mirage.

If you don't want to mess with any of this right now, you can always take 10 minutes and bypass your heater core until you have time to fix it. Check out THIS post.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

7milesout (03-31-2022),Persephone (03-31-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    foama & Top Fuel: That is some really good info you guys posted!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Persephone (03-31-2022)

What they said. I like to cut corners sometimes but I won't use that crap in anything unless it's to buy some time before driving it into a the scrap heap. Even then I wouldn't expect it to fix an external leak, especially in a heater core. If it did magically fix the leak it'd probably also plug up the rad and heater core as well.

I'd just bypass the heatercore if you're too cheap, lazy or unable to replace it yourself. I did this briefly in an old Dodge I had, then I ran into a spot where I needed heat cause it was cold and it would fog up. A tiny 12 volt palm sized heater put out just enough heat to keep the windshield cleared.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Persephone (03-31-2022)