Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: warranty work: heater core replaced

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Are you having problems with yours?

Looks like all three were located in the US South.
    No problems with mine yet at 47K miles (except the rear axle but that's a different story)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I know this is a bit old, but I wanted to pass on that I too now have a heater core that is leaking. I am waiting to see if Mitsubishi will cover the work under warranty, I currently have 65k miles.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clw1976 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (08-10-2016),inuvik (08-10-2016)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Update: I just had the heater core replaced for the 3rd! Time, and neither the dealer nor Mitsubishi has a clue why it keeps failing. This last time, they even had a video conference with the tech guys in California, and everyone is just dumbfounded. Off the record, the service manager said it was a bad design; crimp on vs ring clamps. I was also told to trade it before the warranty expired, because based on the service record of the car, the heater core will fail again in 10 to 12k miles. I guess I'll take their advice, but I won't be buying another Mitsubishi Mirage.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunsetjim View Post
    Update: I just had the heater core replaced for the 3rd! Time, and neither the dealer nor Mitsubishi has a clue why it keeps failing. This last time, they even had a video conference with the tech guys in California, and everyone is just dumbfounded. Off the record, the service manager said it was a bad design; crimp on vs ring clamps. I was also told to trade it before the warranty expired, because based on the service record of the car, the heater core will fail again in 10 to 12k miles. I guess I'll take their advice, but I won't be buying another Mitsubishi Mirage.
    Are they using the correct anti-freeze? Regular old school Anti-freeze will cause failure and if they are using regular water for the mix them that is an issue. Distilled water only

Engine coolant based non-silicate, non-amine, non- nitrate and non-borate coolant with long life hybrid organic acid technology
    Last edited by inuvik; 10-29-2017 at 03:46 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I would assume that the dealership is using the correct antifreeze, right?

What about your radiator cap? If it isn't operating properly, maybe it could cause an over-pressure condition in the cooling system (with the heater core being the weakest point)? Or maybe a head gasket leak is introducing excess pressure into the system?

Does your car spend a lot of time idling in traffic? Put another way, does it often operate in the upper levels of the cooling system's acceptable temperature range?

Just thinking out loud...

I find it very hard to believe that there isn't something else going on with your particular car, as this seems to be a very rare problem for everyone...except you, unfortunately! Mine has nearly 80k on it and I haven't had any heater core trouble, nor have I had to add a drop of coolant since I bought it.

What year is your car? I haven't had any problems with any 15's or 17's. Maybe its a 14' thing? I can't see it needing to be changed every 10k... Somethings not right with that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (10-30-2017),poorman1 (10-30-2017)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Heater core

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I would assume that the dealership is using the correct antifreeze, right?

What about your radiator cap? If it isn't operating properly, maybe it could cause an over-pressure condition in the cooling system (with the heater core being the weakest point)? Or maybe a head gasket leak is introducing excess pressure into the system?

Does your car spend a lot of time idling in traffic? Put another way, does it often operate in the upper levels of the cooling system's acceptable temperature range?

Just thinking out loud...

I find it very hard to believe that there isn't something else going on with your particular car, as this seems to be a very rare problem for everyone...except you, unfortunately! Mine has nearly 80k on it and I haven't had any heater core trouble, nor have I had to add a drop of coolant since I bought it.
    Who knows? The dealer AND Mitsu both are completely stumped!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Who knows? The dealer AND Mitsu both are completely stumped!
    When the heater core leaks, the AC stop working?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sorry for resurrecting this nearly 5 year old thread, but my Mirage (2014, 92k miles) now seems to have the symptoms of a leaking heater core from everything I'm experiencing and reading.

Does anyone know if "K-Seal: Pour-&-Go*" is any good? I saw it crop up in my research and wasn't sure if it was worth trying, or if it could cause more issues and it's just better to avoid it and take it to get fixed. While I'm pretty good at basic maintenance and repairs myself, I think taking the whole dashboard apart is a bit beyond my abilities and comfort-zone.

(*This stuff: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...501/10542084-P)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I would avoid it and fix it the right way. If its leaking from the core itself, you might just be able to tighten down on the crimps around the tubes coming out of the core. You don't have to take the dash out for that.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Persephone (03-31-2022)