Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Only getting 20 MPG on new 2015 Mirage RF

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Inflate your tires to the max sidewall value to maximize coasting potential.

Once the engine is warmed up slightly, DFCO will kick in as long as you are driving faster than 19 mph.
    - That means that if you are travelling faster than 19 mph (30 kph) and you let go of the gas, the car will use momentum/wheel force to keep the engine running and cut fuel to the engine. MPG is infinite since you are using no gas to move. Try and maximize that. Ensure that you are going at least 19 mph before letting go of the gas to coast down hills or to a stop. DFCO turns off once you slow down to around 12 mph (20 kph) - you can feel the fuel cut back in.

If you don't have many hills, it's a bit tough to do much coasting with a CVT. Feel free to flip in and out of neutral to coast if letting go of the gas/engine braking/DFCO will slow you down too much.

If you have mapped out the lights and know which ones are long, you could turn off the engine when stopped (if you feel comfortable doing that).

With my CVT Lancer, I use DFCO to cut fuel on steep hills or when slowing down for a light. I coast in Neutral the rest of the time.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 53.4 mpg (US) ... 22.7 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 64.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerAbuser View Post
    DFCO turns off once you slow down to around 12 mph (20 kph) - you can feel the fuel cut back in.
    I'll have to do some testing, but I think that's the answer to the slight jolt I feel when slowing down. Thanks! It didn't concern me enough to even post about it. Almost feels like a "clutch" kicking in or releasing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Get a block heater if you have access to power in your garage. Air your tires up past 40 psi. I have done 50+ on short trips of 2.5 miles each way. 32 mpg at .3 mile from a start, but mine is a manual. I have neutral coasted (ENGINE ALWAYS ON) a CVT without issues. Learn to use the brakes as little as possible, coast as much as possible. Anticipate any forced stops and act as early as possible to minimize brake usage, OBVIOUSLY WITHOUT RISKING ANY COLLISION.

regards
    mech
    Last edited by deleted user; 04-15-2016 at 08:49 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Ya, I try to time it so that I'm coasting in DFCO as long as possible when approaching a red light.

Using the brakes in this scenario is not a bad thing. It's better to slow down a bit with the brakes and coast up to the light with DFCO engaged, than it is to coast to the light too quickly, stop and sit there and idle.

For example, you are driving and up ahead the light turns red. You could let go of the gas, engage DFCO, coast up to the light stop and idle. Most likely you were going to fast for DFCO to slow you down enough and have to stop and wait for the light.

On the other hand, you can gauge the distance, slow down a little bit (if necessary) and coast with DFCO engaged. If you time it right, you will hit the light just as it turns green while travelling above 12 mph with DFCO engaged.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 53.4 mpg (US) ... 22.7 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 64.1 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ComputerAbuser For This Useful Post:

deleted user (04-15-2016)

Member BillThompsonMirage-ES-CVT's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarhead View Post
    Thank you. Measuring based on some combination of A and B. I have reset B at some point, so my measurements are not 100% accurate at this point over the life of the tank. Will reassess after next fillup or after a decent period of time.

Your assumption that the Mirage still wastes a lot less fuel than other cars makes sense and sits well with me. Undoubtedly I've sat in some traffic in the Mirage, given that NYC tends to have some of that, even at off-peak times. That, coupled with some of my short drives, might explain the low MPG.

I guess I was hoping I could get into the 30s in-city. Will keep trying.
    I think your car has push button start; one of the tricks I use with my 2015 ES with CVT is to place CVT in Neutral, and hit push button to turn off engine at any traffic delay where I am not expected to move for 10 seconds or more. Just keep your foot on brake to instantly restart when you hit push button again.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.4 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarhead View Post
    Hi All,

I love my 2015 RF, but I've only been getting about 20 MPG on the first 150 or so miles. I suppose I do a lot of city driving (and I have a light foot) in NYC.

Just checking if this is a regular thing, or if there might be a problem, or I might be doing something wrong.

Thanks for any insight.

Jared
    Hey Yarhead - how's your Mirage these days? Hopefully the mpg thing is sorted out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I get the feeling perhaps Mitsubishi put smaller than normal injectors in these? Or maybe sludge impacts the timing chain?

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...v-then-normal?

Too bad we never heard back from Yarhead about how things changed (I expect) once he put some miles on the car and tracked MGP for a longer period.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)