Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Enasave rotation pattern

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Unlike the email notification removal, the ignore list is working perfectly.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by anog View Post
    Just following the manual, I crossed them because I didn't see any directional markings on the tires. I don't know who's method is better in the long run, but if something is working for you then I see no reason to change it. I imagine the end results wouldn't be much different with either method. As inuvik said I wouldn't invest too many brain cycles into it, haha.
    Attachment 5957
    I was planning to just rotate same side front to rear because I am confused as to how I would be able to criss cross the tires when I have only one hydraulic jack and 2 jack stands.

If I was a mechanic or had access to a lift to raise the entire car into the air it would be another story. If there is actually a way to do the "standard rotation" or whatever you want to call it with the criss crossing with the equipment I have please advise me.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    I was planning to just rotate same side front to rear because I am confused as to how I would be able to criss cross the tires when I have only one hydraulic jack and 2 jack stands.

If I was a mechanic or had access to a lift to raise the entire car into the air it would be another story. If there is actually a way to do the "standard rotation" or whatever you want to call it with the criss crossing with the equipment I have please advise me.
    I have the same as you, if you put the spare tire on the first one you take off, then just follow the arrows you can do it. It's pretty annoying though, so I usually just leave my tires on until the seasonal swap.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 42.7 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by anog View Post
    I have the same as you, if you put the spare tire on the first one you take off, then just follow the arrows you can do it. It's pretty annoying though, so I usually just leave my tires on until the seasonal swap.
    Yeah. I suppose I could buy a 3rd jack stand. Thats the only way I can figure to accomplish the task. Although I like your idea to use the doughnut as one of the tires.

But the real question to me is whether it is really worth it to go that route rather than just switch front to back on the same side. Not trying to take sides as far as the ARGUMENT going on in the background. But this is a friendly forum and we really need to respect one another. At the end of the day we all own this car and are just trying to help each other out. No need for personal attacks. We are all family here.

EDIT: I figured out that all I need to do is jack up the car with a floor jack at the front jack point and then place it on the 2 front jack stands. Then use the floor jack to jack up the back of the car at the rear jack point (tow hook) and then I could just leave it on the rear floor jack (No danger since I am NOT going UNDERNEATH the car to rotate the tires)

See this thread for the picture and location of the jack pints I am referring to:

http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...ace-crushed-in!

So thats that. I guess i will go ahead and rotate the tires at 7500, May as well, Im bored
    Last edited by fc321; 10-10-2017 at 04:35 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Rotated my tires today using a floor jack and 2 jack stands. 2 front wheels on jack stands and then used the floor jack on the rear middle point (where the towing hook goes) to elevate the rear. The jack was not tall enough so I had to elevate it on 4 bricks

Here is the front:

I used the cardboard from an old pizza box in between the car and jack to cushion it. Same for the jack stands. Took about 20 minutes. Will be faster next time but this was my first time ever rotating tires by myself.

And the assClowns at the Dealership over-torqued the bolts with their impact wrenches. So that was the most time consuming thing was to loosen the bolts with a cross (4 point lug wrench). I had to use my entire body weight standing on the lug wrench to get it loose. Goofballs at the Dealership, how do they expect my wife to get those bolts loose when changing a tire on the Freeway in the pouring rain?

Center jack points (The rear tow hook itself is a jack point):

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by fc321; 05-31-2018 at 12:26 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to fc321 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-31-2018)

In no way would I recommend anyone put blocks under a floor jack like that. As the jack lifts it will want to roll forward, if it doesn't roll it will want to pull the car backwards and tip the jack stands over. It would be funny to see the aftermath but I wouldn't want to see anyone hurt.
    Maybe put the jack stands under the rear and put the jack under the suspension crossmember to lift the front? Or just jack up one front corner at a time, there's no need to have all 4 wheels off the ground at the same time, it'd take an extra 2 mins of jacking and you wouldn't risk having a car laying flat on the ground with no wheels.

For me I'd probably just use the factory tire iron to loosen the nuts rather than a 4way wrench. You can stand on the factory iron or use a snipe if you need to.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I used the bricks because I was at my Moms house and there was nothing else around that was available (would have preferred lumber).

You are correct that the wheels roll forward. Thats why i started it on the back half of the brick and as it elevated the car the wheels rolled forward more and more until reaching the final position that you see in the photo.

If this was an oil change or anything that involved me getting underneath the car than yes I agree and would not feel safe. But in this case I just wanted to get the job done and the car is only elevated with the tires less than 1 inch off the ground so if it came "crashing down" it would be anticlimactic.

We have been getting alot of rain this week. The mosquitos where eating me alive while I did the job so I just wanted to get it over with as quick as I could.

Im not sure why but I really like using the 4 point lug wrench. It feels nostalgic for me. It feels very old-fashioned and I find that comforting for some strange reason.

I did not jack up the front using the center cross-member I did it the traditional way with the pinch welds on the side. I decided to jack up the rear on the center jack-point after watching a YouTube video and though, Hmmm....thats a good idea since I only own 2 jack stands and now I can elevate all 4 tires at once.

I do not advise anyone else to follow my example, since I am not really a very handy sort of guy and just learn things from YouTube but I had no father figure in my life to give me any training or to throw a baseball with

9. The Following User Says Thank You to fc321 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-31-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

Just another suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    I do not advise anyone else to follow my example, since I am not really a very handy sort of guy and just learn things from YouTube but I had no father figure in my life to give me any training or to throw a baseball with
    No one should feel criticized for how they do things. I admire those who try to do things on their own. You have a nice floor jack, and that is all you need to rotate your tires. You don't need to have the entire car lifted to accomplish this task. If I oversimplify things, I apologize. You can start at any wheel.

1. Let’s start at the rear driver’s side, loosen your lug nuts slightly before lifting the wheel of the off the ground. If the supplied wrench seems to short, a short piece of pipe can extend the handle. This would give you the extra leverage to loosen them. Using the recommended lift point on the Mirage, lift the rear driver’s side wheel off the ground, & remove it. If you don’t have an extra wheel, put your spare on before letting it back down.

2. Go to the front passenger side next, loosen lug nuts slightly, lift car like recommended, remove that wheel, & add the wheel that came off the back driver’s side. When you let the car back down on the ground, tighten your lug nuts down tight. That wheel is done.

3. Go to the rear passenger side next, loosen lug nuts slightly, lift car, remove that wheel, & add the wheel that came off the front passenger side. Lower the car back down, tighten lugs nuts, & that wheel is done.

4. Go the front driver’s side. Loosen lug nuts slightly, lift car, remove that wheel, & add the wheel that came off the back passenger side. Lower the car back down, tighten lug nuts, & that wheel is done.

5. Go to the back driver’s side, lift the car, remove the spare tire, & add the wheel that came off the front driver’s side. Lower the car back down, tighten lug nuts & now all 4 tires should be done! It’s also a good opportunity to check tire pressure in your spare before returning it to its proper spot.

You have just rotated your tires. Front tires went straight back and rear tires crossed to the front, which is recommended for front wheel drive cars. It can be done with one jack. It could be done with the Mirage’s jack, but you have a nice floor jack. I would use it.

You don’t need to memorize all this. I just typed it out as an example. Just start anywhere & move tires where they belong. Since the first tire you take off will be the last spot you finish, a spare tire is used in that spot until the very end. As I am lifting/lowering the other corners of the car, I would rather have my car sitting on the spare tire than jack stands. You don’t have to lift the entire car off the ground to rotate your tires.

Obviously, a mechanic with a car lift and air impact wrench is going to get this job done much faster. Good mechanics would use a torque wrench to tighten the lug nuts, not their air impact wrench.

I hope this is helpful to you. I appreciate your honesty, and it's a good reminder to appreciate our dads. Sometimes, we take the simple things in life for granted.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

brightcell (04-09-2019),fc321 (06-01-2018),inuvik (06-01-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thank you for that write-up but I am a little confused as to why you guys dont like all 4 wheels to be in the air? My tires are literally half an inch from the ground, even if the car fell down (and I dont see how it would if 2 jack stands are supporting the front of the car at the 2 pinch welds).

I am on a completely flat surface, the parking brake is engaged, the car was left in gear. No human is ever going to be underneath the car to get crushed. Even worse case scenario that the car dropped off the rear jack point......the suspension would take a 1/2 inch drop. I think going over the train tracks at 15 mph would cause more impact to the suspension than this static half inch drop.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    I'm thankful and appreciate the fact the Mirage is a car that you can actually do the maintenance yourself and not have to pay someone $100 an hour to do change a headlight bulb. Simple & reliable is good in my book.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)