Thread: Transmission cooler

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Transmission cooler

My apologies if this topic has already been covered elsewhere, but has anyone installed a transmission cooler in their Mirage? I purchased an ES today and paid the labor on a cooler, and now have to purchase one. There seem to be several in the 50-60 dollar range. Can anyone recommend one over another?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 35.4 mpg (US) ... 15.1 km/L ... 6.6 L/100 km ... 42.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    @RapidRick - I'm confused. How can you pay labor for installing an cooler, and now you have to purchase a cooler??

I'm assuming you have an ES w/ CVT transmission. The CVT transmission cooler lines go into and out of the same radiator for the engine coolant.

Are you planning on very aggressive driving with the Mirage??

-Charlie-
    Last edited by Charlie; 04-18-2016 at 11:38 PM. Reason: specifying

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Perhaps just as importantly, is it a 3/8 fitting or a 6AN fitting?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 35.4 mpg (US) ... 15.1 km/L ... 6.6 L/100 km ... 42.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    @RapidRick - I'm confused. How can you pay labor for installing an cooler, and now you have to purchase a cooler??

I'm assuming you have an ES w/ CVT transmission. The CVT transmission lines go into and out of the same radiator for the engine coolant.

Are you planning on very aggressive driving with the Mirage??

-Charlie-
    Fair question. I included some labor in the price of the car to have a cooler installed, have a hitch installed, have a rear bumper guard installed. I told them I'd bring the hardware later in the week when it arrives, upon which I will take delivery of the car.

I drive like a ninny, but I do plan on doing some very light towing (200 pounds), a topic that I understand has been exhaustively discussed around here. I own and operate a small hot dog cart business and will be towing the cart with the Mirage. I'd rather spend a few extra bucks upfront to know I've done what I can to be good to my new car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I wouldn't worry too much about it considering the car has a stock trans cooler.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

inuvik (04-18-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    I wouldn't worry too much about it considering the car has a stock trans cooler.
    I know there are a few members that are running scanguage or something similar. I'm curious if anyone has seen high CVT temps with the stock cooler.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hmmm.... Can you even add a cooler to one that's already there? 200 lbs shouldn't hurt the car at all. That's light.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think you will discover that the Mirage OEM CVT transmission cooler circulates water from the radiator to a cooler built inside the transmission and back to the radiator. It has an internal cooler. There are no external hydraulic lines to patch an external transmission cooler in to. Transmission fluid does not leave the transmission.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daleWV View Post
    I think you will discover that the Mirage OEM CVT transmission cooler circulates water from the radiator to a cooler built inside the transmission and back to the radiator. It has an internal cooler. There are no external hydraulic lines to patch an external transmission cooler in to. Transmission fluid does not leave the transmission.
    That certainly would make adding a transmission cooler difficult. Hmmm....

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RapidRick View Post
    That certainly would make adding a transmission cooler difficult. Hmmm....
    Yes, this is why the CVT transmission cooler lines go into and out of the same radiator as the engine coolant.

If you look, that square/cubish projection from the transmission is the actual transmission fluid cooler, and from there you see the 2 lines going to and from the engine coolant radiator.

I was disappointed to learn this since I had been planning on installing an inline transmission filter (magnefine) at some point on the vehicle only to find out there are no lines to splice into. I will just have to be very diligent w/ drain and fills. :-(

-Charlie-