Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mitsubishi says employees cheated on fuel economy/emissions tests

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Mitsubishi hasn't been all that helpful or open with the rear axle being out of whack . Should have sent out notices to owners and made it mandatory to have alignments performed and fix if not of spec . Their poor reaction hasn't exactly persuaded us to buy a new '17 or G4 . Caution is not good for sales . A shame so many vehicle makers are thinking more of the $ than reliability and safety of the consumers . Usually comes back with more costs .

Last edited by cinder; 04-20-2016 at 05:32 PM.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    In Europe, the NEDC figures for the Space Star are only average. Nearly every car in this size has a fuel consumption of about 4 l/100 km in the NEDC. But on the street, the Space Star is by far the most fuel efficient car. So I know, who is really cheating. In Europe, such tricks are nothing special I think but rather normal.
    Mitsubishi Space Star 1.2:
    Daihatsu Cuore L251:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Space Star Klassik Kollektion+ 1.2 manual: 67.5 mpg (US) ... 28.7 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 81.0 mpg (Imp)

This story was picked up all the major news outlets today.

Reading comments on multiple sites, it's clear that many people don't understand that the affected vehicles are only Japan market Kei cars (for now).

This is going to be a big P.R. problem for the company, even if the problem remains limited just to those cars.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Honesty can be a b*tch to those that don't honor it .

Thanks
    We still have the window sticker that came on the wife's Sorento claiming 32 mpg highway. It was more than over inflating the tires. That was the first thing I did when we got it home. Shortly after that I carried a vw axle to the machine shop in Hopewell that was building the frame for my 3 wheeler. I drove on route 5 a 55 mph road with almost no traffic. I figured just maintaining 55 mph the Sorento would get me close to 40 mpg with the first year GDI 4 cylinder engine and 6 speed auto. Not even close. I barely made it to 32 mpg.

Same road my Mirage would do 55 mpg today.

A billion bucks for a lie, not including any settlement with Nissan for the falsehood. KIA is paying her for the mileage difference. AS far as I am concerned they have paid her nothing for the reduced resale value, which as far as I am concerned should be another $2k. I doubt we will ever buy another KIA-Hyundai product after being defrauded.

I'm at 51% over EPA combined in my Mirage, but the distaste with their handling of the rear axle issue while not as egregious as the Sorento is enough to convince me that my customer loyalty to both manufacturers is just not there.

I'm still considering legal action in both cases.

Fool me once, goodbye.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to deleted user For This Useful Post:

cyclopathic (04-21-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Honda with Takata . They were investors and consumer . The beat goes on and on and ........
    Last edited by cinder; 04-21-2016 at 03:02 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    The problem is that manufacturers have begun to reach the limits of what an internal combustion engine can do in terms of emissions and fuel efficiency, but government demands cleaner and ever more efficient vehicles each and every year. Just because the government demands that every car get 50 mpg by 2025 (or whatever the latest fantasy number is) doesn't mean it is going to happen...or that it is even POSSIBLE.

It's no surprise that manufacturers are being forced to fudge numbers and find work-arounds. And they should be held accountable. What pisses me off is the piousness coming from the government about it...fudging numbers is standard operating procedure for the government!

I knew VW wasn't going to be alone. And when the dust settles, I think every manufacturer in the industry with be at least a little guilty of doing the same thing.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Just because the government demands that every car get 50 mpg by 2025 (or whatever the latest fantasy number is) doesn't mean it is going to happen...or that it is even POSSIBLE.
    Price will ultimately drive the industry toward efficiency. Right now, at least in the US market, fuel is widely cheap & affordable. If gas prices go back up, then folks will have to pay closer attention to the cost of operation.

I remember calculating gasoline costs in Europe. At first glance, I thought the prices were comparable. Then I realized they were pricing by liters, not gallons. That's four times as much - surprise! Not being real familiar with the European approach, I supposed the price difference was due to a tax used for roads. Imagine if that were in place in the US - roads would be paid for by a gas tax, not a general tax.

In my view, the rear axle alignment problems are part of buying a cheap, if not the cheapest, little car on the market. That is to say, you get what you pay for. If I was after a more precise car, then I would have had to save up a few more coins. While I'm not pleased with the alignment, I find lots more to appreciate about my Mirage, and so far still like my purchase.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Price will ultimately drive the industry toward efficiency.
    True. But eventually the industry runs into PHYSICS. People bought a larger number of fuel-efficient cars when gas was expensive, but high gas prices don't create endlessly more efficient and ever cleaner cars.

And I certainly don't lust after a European-style fuel taxing scheme. The government has enough money to waste...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    True. But eventually the industry runs into PHYSICS. People bought a larger number of fuel-efficient cars when gas was expensive, but high gas prices don't create endlessly more efficient and ever cleaner cars.

And I certainly don't lust after a European-style fuel taxing scheme. The government has enough money to waste...
    Yes they don't but they (higher gas prices) make available technologies more affordable. Be it hybrid, stop-go, DI, turbo or HCCI. Look how much better aerodynamically cars are now comparing to past.

We will see engine thermal efficiency break 50% barier by 2025, and 54 CAFE MPG translates roughly to 40mpg on sticker, there are many cars which pass this mark now.

BTW many analyst think 2025 goal is achievable with current technology but it may require upping national minimal octane rating to 100RON.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cyclopathic For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-21-2016)