Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Remote oil filter mounting kit

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Remote oil filter mounting kit

After a few episodes changing out my filter I decided to get a Hayden 291 remote filter kit.

First thing is they don't supply hose so a word of caution don't use heater core hose because it will probably fail miles from nowhere, in the winter, at night, blah blah blah.

I got 6 feet of MIL6000D oil/coolant hose from Spruce Aircraft Canada, pricey but worth it.3 feet for each run.Pressure specs are 300psi working pressure,500psi test,and 1000psi burst pressure.

Second thing is the hose clamps look a bit sketchy so I got 4- S/S 7/8" from Crappy Tire.
    The last is the straight pipe nipples supplied will be ok in a v6/v8 engine bay but the Mirage has no room to speak of, so I bought 4- 45° hose nipples 2- 3/8" and 2-!/2" npt. Mettleair stocks them....140-8d for the 1/2" and 140-8c for the 3/8".

After raising your car following all safety precautions remove the plastic gaurd that's held on with 8 or so plastic rivets.

Drain the oil and remove the oil filter,to get at the "driplip" that guides the used oil away to better places, this is held on with a 12mm hex bolt and for some reason has a wire clip on it too.
    If you don't remove this lip the adapter won't fit.

Here is the block adapter in place, you have to install a threaded adapter to match the OE pipe nipple coming out of the block, they supply those.The silver threads are to block off the unused holes, the hose nipples are installed to the right of those and down.The o-ring used here I held in place with grease while screwing it on.

Name:  oil filter block adapter2.jpg
Views: 3609
Size:  47.4 KB

Here is the location I chose for the new filter. This bracket came as shown with the car but some tabs had to be bent straight and a 1/4"x20 Riv-nut fits in the center.The bracket I installed below will take a small rivet to keep the plate from spinning on it's bolt.
    Name:  firewall mont location.jpg
Views: 4083
Size:  93.8 KB

Than I cut a 1/8" x3" aluminum sheet (6061 alloy) 8&5/8"long to mount on the firewall
    Name:  firewall mounting plate.jpg
Views: 3572
Size:  58.5 KB

here is the filter adapter mounted to the plate with the supplied srcews, I cut the points off at the back.
    Name:  filter adapter on plate fuzzy.jpg
Views: 3436
Size:  48.6 KB
    another angle...
    Name:  filter adapter on plate2.jpg
Views: 3605
Size:  46.8 KB

Feeding the hoses is a bit of a pain , so is clocking the fittings, but when all is done this is what it looks like
    Name:  firewall filter installed.jpg
Views: 3605
Size:  62.2 KB
    You will come up with your own twists on this too,the nice thing is the new filter is about 3 times bigger than stock and there is no time at start up where the engine is "waiting" for oil pressure, it's just like stock.The oil filter shown is a Quaker State QS8A

Last edited by strawboss; 07-02-2016 at 07:22 PM. Reason: added pressure specs, part # for filter

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to strawboss For This Useful Post:

ed100 (04-24-2016),Eggman (04-24-2016),Grumpy Bear (01-04-2024),Tyrelirwin (06-24-2016),wilbur (04-25-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Thanks for the writeup, strawboss - nice photos too.

I'm curious - do you find the filter more accessible in it's new location?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I sure do!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If I may be a bit of a critic here, the screw style clamps make me a bit nervous. If one is going to go through all the work to re-position an oil filter, I would recommend using actual steel reinforced hydraulic hose with a crimp on style weatherhead fitting or maybe aeroquip. Really nice job though!!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flatbroke View Post
    If I may be a bit of a critic here, the screw style clamps make me a bit nervous. If one is going to go through all the work to re-position an oil filter, I would recommend using actual steel reinforced hydraulic hose with a crimp on style weatherhead fitting or maybe aeroquip. Really nice job though!!
    Me too! but Ottawa really sucks when it comes to speed shop supplies, I was at Princess Auto since they deal in hydraulic fittings but the 1/2" ID hose they had was maybe 2" OD.Good to 5000psi working pressure! I thought about the AN fittings route too, but you're right the absolute best deal is crimp on fittings. I felt that the online ordering method had too many variables to ensure a proper product at the end of all that, so I just made Darn Sure the hoses and clamps were as good as I could get,and installed Very Carefully.....

7. The Following User Says Thank You to strawboss For This Useful Post:

flatbroke (04-25-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I picked up my Mirage yesterday drove it home and changed the oil. The stock filter location is a pain in the you know what to get to!

Have you thought about turning that remote oil filter assembly upside down? I am just wondering if it would make oil changes cleaner. Like I wonder if the oil would drain back out of the filter on the front side on the check valve so when you remove the oil filter nothing would pour out all over the place?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flotownj View Post
    I picked up my Mirage yesterday drove it home and changed the oil. The stock filter location is a pain in the you know what to get to!

Have you thought about turning that remote oil filter assembly upside down? I am just wondering if it would make oil changes cleaner. Like I wonder if the oil would drain back out of the filter on the front side on the check valve so when you remove the oil filter nothing would pour out all over the place?
    Yes, I tested it upside down before settling on the pendulum style....the oil, about 800cc worth gushed out into a margarine tub....most of it...then inverting the new filter 2/3 full of new oil was another gusher before engaging the thread, a good way to cross thread the filter in the rush to get it on....of course a smaller filter would reduce the spills, but I like a big ass filter!
    Last edited by strawboss; 07-03-2016 at 08:15 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to strawboss For This Useful Post:

flotownj (04-28-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Wow, somehow I missed this thread. I've added this to the mods list. Nice job!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Wow, somehow I missed this thread. I've added this to the mods list. Nice job!
    Thanks, It's been 2 months now with no problems.
    Edited to add: I was a little hesitant to do this to a car still under warranty but the dealer just noted that I had added an aftermarket "oil cooler" on the work order when it was brought in to have a TSB addressed.
    Last edited by strawboss; 06-24-2016 at 04:35 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am really thinking about doing this my self. Bigger filter and maybe even a small oil cooler. Then I think I would be good to push my oil change intervals to 10,000 miles.