Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine still running high when clutch disengaged

Country
    Denmark
    Thanks

Engine still running high when clutch disengaged

I mentioned something similar 2 months ago...

when I accelerate I normally want to shift fast, but the engine is not letting me do so as the engine still is running to high in enegine speed. Therefore I have to wait for the engine speed to drop before I can engage next gear. is this normal

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage Intense 1.2 manual: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This is my first car with manual transmission, so I'm not sure what's normal or not. I think I understand what you're saying, I feel like when I let off the gas, and push in the clutch, the engine revs ever so slightly. I think someone mentioned something about it being by design, burning off extra fuel or ???. I can't recall. I've just taken to letting off the gas slightly for a half-second or so before putting the clutch in. That seems to take care of it. That doesn't work for fast shifting though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Are you talking about when the engine is cold and idle RPMs are high, or once the engine has warmed up?
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    When I shift at higher rpms I keep hearing this whine/groan coming when the clutch engaged. I though it was a squeeking clutch pedal or cable, But I found that if I let off the gas sooner before pressing the clutch, the sound goes away. I suspected it was the groan of the clutch hitting at too high RPM and your experience lends itself to that thought.

Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Are you talking about when the engine is cold and idle RPMs are high, or once the engine has warmed up?
    No actually the engine dosn't do this when it is cold. It keeps doing this once it it at the right temperature...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage Intense 1.2 manual: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wellswebdesign View Post
    This is my first car with manual transmission, so I'm not sure what's normal or not. I think I understand what you're saying, I feel like when I let off the gas, and push in the clutch, the engine revs ever so slightly. I think someone mentioned something about it being by design, burning off extra fuel or ???. I can't recall. I've just taken to letting off the gas slightly for a half-second or so before putting the clutch in. That seems to take care of it. That doesn't work for fast shifting though.
    Well you see I drive a other car also, this car has fast engine speed drop, so the shift is literally done faster than fast and furious. But the mirage no, the rpm just continues to drop slowly. I have tried to do like you said to let off the gas just a second or two before releasing the clutch, but no didn't do anything. Maybe a little but I can't drive like that. If you know what I mean. And thanks for understanding also, I think you got my point. The fact that the car burns the excess fuel is just stupid in my opinion... they should reprogram the ECU...

Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    Maybe I should video tape it and post it on YT or here?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    That would definitely help clarify things.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Cleartec (04-27-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Yeah, video would help.

I seem to remember someone here mentioning something regarding DFCO that during coasting with the foot off the accelerator pedal the fuel is cut off from the engine until the engine RPMs reach about 1200 then fuel is turned back on. I know it doesn't make sense to me either... but this reminds me of carburetor engines that when the driver is accelerating hard then suddenly lets off the gas a lot of fuel winds up entering the engine - not all of it gets burnt and can generate a loud pop in the exhaust system.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Yeah, video would help.

I seem to remember someone here mentioning something regarding DFCO that during coasting with the foot off the accelerator pedal the fuel is cut off from the engine until the engine RPMs reach about 1200 then fuel is turned back on. I know it doesn't make sense to me either... but this reminds me of carburetor engines that when the driver is accelerating hard then suddenly lets off the gas a lot of fuel winds up entering the engine - not all of it gets burnt and can generate a loud pop in the exhaust system.
    hehe but Here my issue is fuel burnt while I wait for the engine to drop in rpm not good when people constantly ride your ass, because they are some foolish lunatic idiots not showing any respect for other people in traffic