Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Mirage CVT acting up....... (hard shift)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Question 2015 Mirage CVT acting up....... (hard shift)

Hi guys,

I bought my 2015 Mirage about a week ago and this is the first time that I drive a CVT.
    Is it normal for these transmissions to hard down shift when slowing down / approaching a red light? I also noticed that sometimes it give me a hard shift when going into reverse... this only happening when the car is been running for awhile.

Any comments will be helpful before I take it to the dealer for a checkup.. thanx

I'm sure some CVT owners will chime in with their experience. I didn't notice any unexpected shifting, but I have only driven a CVT Mirage about 20 km.

PS - welcome to the forum.

PPS: feel free to make a garage page ... Garage empty: add car

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

CESARG (04-29-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CESARG View Post
    Hi guys,

I bought my 2015 Mirage about a week ago and this is the first time that I drive a CVT.
    Is it normal for these transmissions to hard down shift when slowing down / approaching a red light? I also noticed that sometimes it give me a hard shift when going into reverse... this only happening when the car is been running for awhile.

Any comments will be helpful before I take it to the dealer for a checkup.. thanx
    I have a 2015 CVT and it sounds pretty normal to me. I thought the same thing when I first got the car. It may be because it was my first CVT or because of it just not being a smooth CVT. Now that I have had it for a year and 16,000 miles later I can say that it has either gotten better or I just don't notice it as much. I like having an automatic in rush hour traffic every morning but a part of me wishes that I went for a manual because the CVT can be annoying at times. I have test driven a Nissan Altima CVT in the past and it was very smooth. The one on this car can be annoying when it switches from high to low and then from low to high.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.1 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Gnarles2 For This Useful Post:

CESARG (04-29-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnarles2 View Post
    I have a 2015 CVT and it sounds pretty normal to me. I thought the same thing when I first got the car. It may be because it was my first CVT or because of it just not being a smooth CVT. Now that I have had it for a year and 16,000 miles later I can say that it has either gotten better or I just don't notice it as much. I like having an automatic in rush hour traffic every morning but a part of me wishes that I went for a manual because the CVT can be annoying at times. I have test driven a Nissan Altima CVT in the past and it was very smooth. The one on this car can be annoying when it switches from high to low and then from low to high.
    I put mine in neutral just before coming to full stop and put it back in gear to start. I also will downshift in "B" manually too sometimes for engine braking or if I'm barely moving in stop and go traffic, leave it in "B". It can be a little harsh at first but it does get better after a few thousand miles.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    I put mine in neutral just before coming to full stop and put it back in gear to start. I also will downshift in "B" manually too sometimes for engine braking or if I'm barely moving in stop and go traffic, leave it in "B". It can be a little harsh at first but it does get better after a few thousand miles.
    Thank you for all your feedback guys. I just notice that the upper hose clamp from the radiator was not tight enough and small drops of coolant were coming out very slowly (perhaps Mitsubishi quality control isn't that good). Maybe this was causing the transmission to run at higher than usual temperatures and overheating somehow.... I'll tight it and reset the car to see if this was the issue....

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I also have the CVT. The hard shift when stopping sounds normal to me. Took some getting use to at first. Haven't really noticed it in reverse. I usually back into to my parking space when I go to work, so I will pay more attention the next few days to see if it there, but I have yet to notice it or if it is there but not as noticeable as when stopping.

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah shifting down to be B is harder than I expected at first.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I drove a CVT for a week and experienced this exact thing. Not sure if it's detrimental, but it was present. I think there was a tsb to reprogram the shift logic.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    In the week I had my 2015 CVT, I had absolutely zero harsh shifts. I do know the logic was reprogrammed for the 2015 model year. Others that have driven both the 2014 and 2015 say the 2015 is smoother.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    In the week I had my 2015 CVT, I had absolutely zero harsh shifts. I do know the logic was reprogrammed for the 2015 model year. Others that have driven both the 2014 and 2015 say the 2015 is smoother.
    I just created my profile in the Mitsubishi website and the system provided me with everything: service history, maintenance schedule, how-to videos and owner/maintenance's manual. Under the service history it shows REFLASH ECU. Could that be the logic reprogramming?