Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ethanol and gas mileage

Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Yeesh, Cleartec. Bad air out, good air in. Ranny lives in Portland which has pretty bad stop and go traffic. So I'm not sure why his question set you off but you don't have to apologize for an "angry" post if you just don't post it in the first place.
    I just needed to express my anger towards tailgaters and dangerous overtakers

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage Intense 1.2 manual: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cleartec For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-02-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleartec View Post
    ehmm thanks dude

but I have a button called Auto, which is the one I am using... is that okay then?
    Before I got mine, I learned somewhere here on the forum a little about the automatic air conditioning control, and that this can be disabled. With a view toward fuel economy, I made it a point to make this one of my first changes. I'm not sure if you disabled this yourself, but I thought I'd share it for the benefit of others. I also use my auto climate control, I just don't want the AC compressor running all the time.

And I agree with you about aggressive drivers. I got passed today on a residential side street - specifically marked NO PASSING - and I was going faster than the posted speed limit. I do sincerely hope that nobody gets hurt when impatient drivers want to make an illegal pass.

I get it. I think it is an ego thing - not always, but usually.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Before I got mine, I learned somewhere here on the forum a little about the automatic air conditioning control, and that this can be disabled. With a view toward fuel economy, I made it a point to make this one of my first changes. I'm not sure if you disabled this yourself, but I thought I'd share it so you (and others) might benefit.

And I agree with you about aggressive drivers. I got passed today on a residential side street - specifically marked NO PASSING - and I was going faster than the posted speed limit. I do sincerely hope that nobody gets hurt when impatient drivers want to make an illegal pass.

I get it. I think it is an ego thing - not always, but usually.
    Not sure If I got your point with auto climate, since I have the auto climate button(so I don't need to think). But I will save your description, so thanks

Exactly who gets these lunatic drivers. They are so affraid of police also. If you just enjoy your ride and drive safely, nobody gets hurt. But I feel ya sometimes it happens to me that I drive a little past legal speeds and the lunatic beasts behind me can't wait to overtake in a safe manner, without trowing ****, roks and dhips at my car. Again, some people only think about them selves. it is not normal to overtake illegal, since you will most likely **** the safe driver's car's paint up...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage Intense 1.2 manual: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Right - I should clarify. I get *your* frustration with aggressive drivers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Cleartec (05-02-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleartec View Post
    Not sure If I got your point with auto climate, since I have the auto climate button(so I don't need to think). But I will save your description, so thanks
    For further clarification, have a look at the description of the AUTO switch I copied from our manual. It says that it will control the air conditioning. What I have found, and others too, is that it turns on the AC compressor almost all the time - for passenger comfort I suppose. Instead of using fuel to drive that compressor, I wanted to disable that automatic control and only activate the compressor when I want it. I figure that will help the fuel economy numbers of my little car, and it might help you too.

But yeah - I like the auto climate control of my car. I think it's a pretty cool feature.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Cleartec (05-02-2016)

Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    For further clarification, have a look at the description of the AUTO switch I copied from our manual. It says that it will control the air conditioning. What I have found, and others too, is that it turns on the AC compressor almost all the time - for passenger comfort I suppose. Instead of using fuel to drive that compressor, I wanted to disable that automatic control and only activate the compressor when I want it. I figure that will help the fuel economy numbers of my little car, and it might help you too.

But yeah - I like the auto climate control of my car. I think it's a pretty cool feature.
    Ohhh thanks sir... So yeah you are just right. when my auto climate control is on the ac compressor also is switched on. but when I want to dissable ac compressor the auto function goes off, am I right. What you did is to do the opposite rigth, kind of? Is ac compressor for less humid air?, thanks

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I run the AC compressor not only to cool the passenger compartment but also to reduce the amount of humidity inside the car.

Let us know if you are able to change this on your EU market car.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Cleartec (05-03-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranny View Post
    I have noticed that many forum members manage to get in excess of 50MPG. While I am quite pleased with the mid-40's I've consistently gotten since purchase (2.5 tanks total), I'd like to improve that number. I use basic hypermiling techniques including tires inflated to 50psi, coasting with clutch in or in neutral or coasting in gear to shut off gas to the engine and occasionally shutting off the car at long lights.

I live in a state that uses ethanol and was wondering how much effect that would have on my mileage. Certainly, winter gas and/or driving in cold temperatures causes an increase in fuel consumption.

In addition to automatic or manual when listing fuel consumption figures, it would be interesting to know whether or not users burn gasoline with ethanol supplementation.

Oh, my car has a manual transmission. Any additional hypermiling techniques you high milage members are getting would be welcome. I'll consider anything that is safe and won't annoy other drivers too much.
    They opened a gas station in my area that sells ethanol free gasoline. I gave it a try just to see how much of a difference it makes. It turned out to be one of my worst tanks at that time!(about a year ago) It could've been a fluke but I realized the difference has to be immeasurable.

In regards to hypermiling it sounds like you are already doing pretty good techniques except the coasting in gear! Do that only if you NEED to slow down anyway! Otherwise coast in neutral even with engine idling.(also let that clutch pedal go to lift the load off the throw out bearing)

As it was mentioned your car will improve significantly on it's own as more miles accumulate and things free up,tires get harder etc.

In short the slower you can go (to a certain extent) and the more you can coast,the better MPG will be. In addition to this I try to have my mirrors folded when appropriate (not in city),I have a lower grille block, warm air intake, slightly lowered front suspension and I accelerate slowly despite the BSFC thing with the high engine load more efficient engine "rule". ( one still ends up burning a LOT more fuel accelerating harder vs.slower).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 3dplane For This Useful Post:

fc321 (07-15-2017)

Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 3dplane View Post
    They opened a gas station in my area that sells ethanol free gasoline. I gave it a try just to see how much of a difference it makes. It turned out to be one of my worst tanks at that time!(about a year ago) It could've been a fluke but I realized the difference has to be immeasurable.

In regards to hypermiling it sounds like you are already doing pretty good techniques except the coasting in gear! Do that only if you NEED to slow down anyway! Otherwise coast in neutral even with engine idling.(also let that clutch pedal go to lift the load off the throw out bearing)

As it was mentioned your car will improve significantly on it's own as more miles accumulate and things free up,tires get harder etc.

In short the slower you can go (to a certain extent) and the more you can coast,the better MPG will be. In addition to this I try to have my mirrors folded when appropriate (not in city),I have a lower grille block, warm air intake, slightly lowered front suspension and I accelerate slowly despite the BSFC thing with the high engine load more efficient engine "rule". ( one still ends up burning a LOT more fuel accelerating harder vs.slower).
    Well your numbers speek for them selves. But coasting costs fuel. gear coasts costs none fuel. maybe in neutral you can let the gas off sooner?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If things haven't changed in the last two years, Oregon should still sell Ethanol-free premium at a few stations scattered around. I lived in Lebanon for about 4 years myself. I know the Wilco in Tangent had E0 92, but I'm not sure what would be around Portland.

Might come back sometime, but still not sure when.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)