Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ethanol and gas mileage

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Ethanol and gas mileage

I have noticed that many forum members manage to get in excess of 50MPG. While I am quite pleased with the mid-40's I've consistently gotten since purchase (2.5 tanks total), I'd like to improve that number. I use basic hypermiling techniques including tires inflated to 50psi, coasting with clutch in or in neutral or coasting in gear to shut off gas to the engine and occasionally shutting off the car at long lights.

I live in a state that uses ethanol and was wondering how much effect that would have on my mileage. Certainly, winter gas and/or driving in cold temperatures causes an increase in fuel consumption.

In addition to automatic or manual when listing fuel consumption figures, it would be interesting to know whether or not users burn gasoline with ethanol supplementation.

Oh, my car has a manual transmission. Any additional hypermiling techniques you high milage members are getting would be welcome. I'll consider anything that is safe and won't annoy other drivers too much.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Your mileage will improve a little after the engine "breaks in". If much of your commuting is short duration you might consider adding a Kat's cartridge block heater. No mechanical know how really needed, you just insert it into an available spot on the engine block. Members that have done it report significantly higher mpg's due to the engine reaching optimal temps almost immediately. BTW, good to see a fellow Oregonian here!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Ranny (05-02-2016),RedRage (05-02-2016)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    10% ethanol reduces MPG by ~3%. Anything more (typical for mid-west) could see a substantial drop even 20% is possible

As inuvik says the MPG will improve after a few thousands due to tire/engine/transmission break-in. The guys who are getting 50MPG+ are on 10% gas too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cyclopathic For This Useful Post:

fc321 (07-15-2017),MetroMPG (06-08-2016)

Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    Dude Really wtf, not trying to be rude. You said 50psi still getting 40 mpg. Dude I use only 39 psi. I don't want to risk a flat out. I'm in the upper 40 close to 50. Trip computer tells me 50+ sometimes though. I have Climate control on all the time. I always coast to lights in gear, so that I can keep momentum. I Also accelerate slowly. I don't ****ing care what people behind me think. It's my ****ing wallet, my ****ing driving. I still accelerating to legal speed. So people can just **** of really. Sorry for angry post...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage Intense 1.2 manual: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleartec View Post
    Dude Really wtf, not trying to be rude. You said 50psi still getting 40 mpg. Dude I use only 39 psi. I don't want to risk a flat out. I'm in the upper 40 close to 50. Trip computer tells me 50+ sometimes though. I have Climate control on all the time. I always coast to lights in gear, so that I can keep momentum. I Also accelerate slowly. I don't ****ing care what people behind me think. It's my ****ing wallet, my ****ing driving. I still accelerating to legal speed. So people can just **** of really. Sorry for angry post...
    Yeesh, Cleartec. Bad air out, good air in. Ranny lives in Portland which has pretty bad stop and go traffic. So I'm not sure why his question set you off but you don't have to apologize for an "angry" post if you just don't post it in the first place.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleartec View Post
    I have Climate control on all the time.
    Try not doing this.

Dude.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    @Cleartec - I can't speak to drivers in Denmark, but the ones US do not behave well when they encounter the deliberate, slow driving style hypermiling sometimes entails. I don't like getting stuck behind an inconsiderate driver, nor do I wish to behave like one. Can't say I always succeed in being considerate, but I try to be.

I do realize inflating to 50PSI is pushing it a bit, but the Ensave tires used in our market are rated at a max pressure of 51PSI.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ranny For This Useful Post:

Cleartec (05-02-2016),fc321 (07-15-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Fret Not! Try this - it's one of the first things I did as I didn't want the compressor running all the time. You can do it too†.

Quote Originally Posted by 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage Owner's Manual

Personalizing the air conditioning switch (Changing the function setting)

You can change the following functions to match your preference.
    • Enable automatic air conditioning control:
      When the AUTO switch is pressed, or when the temperature control switch has been set to the minimum temperature, the air conditioning switch is automatically controlled.

• Disable automatic air conditioning control:
      The air conditioning switch is not automatically controlled, unless the air conditioning switch is used.

• Changing the settings
      Press the air conditioning switch for about 10 seconds or longer. When the setting has changed, the system will beep and the “❄” indicator will flash.
      • When the setting has changed from enabled to disabled, the system will beep three times and the indicator will flash three times.
      • When the setting has changed from disabled to enabled, the system will beep two times and the indicator will flash three times.

Note
    • The factory setting is “Enable automatic air conditioning control”.
    • When the defogger switch is pressed, the air conditioning will run automatically, even if the system is set to “Disable automatic air conditioning control”, in order to prevent windows from fogging up.

AUTO switch

When the AUTO switch is pressed, the mode selection, blower speed adjustment, recirculated/ outside air selection, temperature adjustment, and air conditioner ON/OFF status are all controlled automatically.
    The “AUTO” indicator will be shown in the display (A).
    Notes:
    †This feature might not be available to EU markets, just like we don't get Auto Stop & Go or more Eco Leaves on the dash.
    Last edited by Eggman; 05-02-2016 at 08:48 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

anog (05-03-2016),BigMW (02-07-2024),Daox (12-19-2017),poorman1 (11-17-2016)

Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranny View Post
    @Cleartec - I can't speak to drivers in Denmark, but the ones US do not behave well when they encounter the deliberate, slow driving style hypermiling sometimes entails. I don't like getting stuck behind an inconsiderate driver, nor do I wish to behave like one. Can't say I always succeed in being considerate, but I try to be.

I do realize inflating to 50PSI is pushing it a bit, but the Ensave tires used in our market are rated at a max pressure of 51PSI.
    hmm, I don't know about traffic where you live at, but slow acceleration times and legal speeds are key things here. I know they are rated 51 the tires, I have them myself. But I already feel like loss in traction and braking with the tires at 39 psi. Also I don't like it if the road is to wibly wobly, because the whole car begins to shake(a little). at 50 psi you can easely get a blowout/flat tire, I don't hope so for you, just saying...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage Intense 1.2 manual: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Fret Not! Try this - it's one of the first things I did as I didn't want the compressor running all the time. You can do it too†.

Notes:
    †This feature might not be available to EU markets, just like we don't get Auto Stop & Go or more Eco Leaves on the dash.
    ehmm thanks dude

but I have a button called Auto, which is the one I am using... is that okay then?