Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: I don't know what to do here! (UR sway bar broke)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Looking at the pic again: so the mounting bracket snapped? I think I should cut and installed a rubber spacer under it..

Last edited by cyclopathic; 05-27-2016 at 12:40 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    I genuinely thought you meant a sway bar. The braces are a joke, if you look where they brace, it's clear they do nothing but add weight. The only braces worth adding would be true subframe connectors, but they may be there hiding. I've never had my carpet or under tray off. In my opinion the unibody on this car is quite stout, and does not seem to flex much, definitely not enough too warrant braces when there's not even quality suspension bushings available lol. You will definitely see my fabrication skill in the future. For now I'll leave my bluff called. If you would like too see pictures of my other project cars, which I did brace e suspension and add a rollbar ide happily oblidge
    I found huge results with the rear lower brace connecting the bottom spring mounts. The car used to See-Saw about, from any dips along the highway, and made high speed maneuvers less that confident. I'm sure a OEM sized, but stiffer rear spring set would have solved that issue though.

Please do show off your other projects! I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one that would like to see them. I like seeing how people go about solving problems. Make a thread and drop the link here

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HitShane View Post
    I found huge results with the rear lower brace connecting the bottom spring mounts. The car used to See-Saw about, from any dips along the highway, and made high speed maneuvers less that confident. I'm sure a OEM sized, but stiffer rear spring set would have solved that issue though.

Please do show off your other projects! I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one that would like to see them. I like seeing how people go about solving problems. Make a thread and drop the link here
    Not to thread jack even further... But which brace did you say you have? The one that connects to the spring mounts, like OPs? If so, keep in mind that's a functional suspension component and not a ridgid brace.

I will post pictures up next time I'm near my laptop.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I genuinely thought you meant a sway bar. The braces are a joke, if you look where they brace, it's clear they do nothing but add weight.
    The front strut tower brace does make a difference, and many cars come with them standard.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cani Lupine View Post
    The front strut tower brace does make a difference, and many cars come with them standard.
    OK I give. Please buy and install they're products. Obviously the 50 low durometer suspension bushings, tire sidewall and massive body roll wasn't the root cause of poor handling, or overall stiffness of the car. It was indeed that 1/4" the strut mount wiggled. Come on now people.... Back on topic..

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    OK I give. Please buy and install they're products.
    *their

But yes, it did add rigidity to the front end and , giving it a more refined feel similar to a larger, heavier car. As stated before, many manufacturers included front strut tower braces as OE equipment. Some vehicles with OE strut tower braces include the Acura CL Type-S, Acura TSX, BMW M3, BMW 3-Series, Buick Regal, Ford Mustang Bullitt, Holden VY II Commodore, Honda Crosstour, Honda Integra Type R, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mazda Protege 5, Mazda RX-8, Mitsubishi Colt Ralliart, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, Mitsubishi Outlander, Mitsubishi Eclipse, Nissan Altima, Nissan Skyline, Nissan 350Z, Pontiac GTO, Pontiac Bonneville GXP, Saab 900 NG, Toyota MR2, Toyota Solara, Toyota Camry SE, Volvo S60 and the Subaru Legacy, as well as most 1990s GM FWD vehicles.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Nearly every factory brace that I've seen on cars, are actually useful. They triangulate the firewall and both or each cup individually, usually at an upward angle. This can also be seen on the front core supports, every bridge, and rollercoaster. This is logical engineering. The only direction your strut brace adds streagth would be directly sideways. When you corner, almost all the force is applied upward, and backward. What you have is a great if you plan too be t-boned.

I have my opinion and a list of cars that came with something isn't going too change it. You've paid too add an unnecessary part to your car, that was engineered strictly too line the pockets of its designer.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Actually, many of the OEM strut braces I've seen on cars I've worked on were two point. Yes, a three point brace is more effective, but a properly designed two-point brace does have a positive and noticeable effect. The Ultra Racing two-point front strut tower brace is properly designed to provide tangible benefits.

I've run my vehicle with the brace removed and reinstalled multiple times, and I did notice an improvement with it installed.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cani Lupine For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (05-29-2016)

resolution?

ednevell, did you ever get this sorted out?

Replaced? Repaired? Removed?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    ednevell, did you ever get this sorted out?

Replaced? Repaired? Removed?
    Didn't get a damn thing done, no response, none here, none by email, none by phone.

Really disappointed.

The bar just sits rusty and broken on my shelf in my kitchen, to remind me not to buy from next gen tuning.

I should not have to contact someone more than once for answers.

That being said, the bar worked very well until it failed.

Going to buy a new car in February. Something that doesn't have a crooked rear-end, a weak motor, or a manual trans that has a wonky clutch and a pain in the ass 2nd gear.

If anybody else wants a UR rear swaybar for their mirage I have one for sale. HALF price! LOL

Ednevel

P.S. if anybody can enlighten me as to how to get results when trying to get this thing replaced, let me know!