Thread: Hubcentric rings? Front/back ID are different?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Hubcentric rings? Front/back ID are different?

So I heard that the front and rear wheel hub inner diameter are different compaired to front and back? Can someone list the sizes? And does anyone know a place that makes custom hubcentric rings?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    First I've heard of it. Wouldn't that interfere with tire rotations?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I read it somewhere on here. But I don't think it would because you could leave the rings on the hubs during rotation

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Nope. 56. 1mm all around.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Okay, so the rings could be left on the hubs for rotations. However, I don't understand a couple of things. Why would a manufacturer make different size inner hub diameters front v. back? And *if* the inner hub diameters are different front to back, why worry about a hubcentric ring? Wouldn't the rim be centered by the lug nuts - so long as the lug nuts are properly tightened?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    As AngryBeaver said, the hubs are 56.1mm on the front and rear, same as 90s Honda Civics.

For oddball size rings for aftermarket wheels, I suggest these guys: http://us.hubcentric-rings.com/

I've ordered from them twice to get 54-56mm rings for my old Aspire back before they set up a US store.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    I think it's my fault about the report of different size hubs. I had my car up on a lift when I test-fit 56.1 inner diameter hub rings on my car last week. They seemed to fit on the rear with zero play, while the fronts seemed to have something like 1/2mm of play. That's what I posted about a week ago....and it's not correct!

After I got all the grease and crud cleaned from the front and rear bubs, the 56.1 rings fit the same way on both front and rear.

The 56.1 rings are still about .010" (.25mm) too large for the hub, but that's well within tolerances for what their purpose is. But being anal, I had a set of custom aluminum hub rings modified by a local machine shop. The perfect inside diameter is really 55.85mm...but again...it's totally unnecessary to do it this way. Just buy a set of 56.1mm inner diameter rings. If you put a factory aluminum wheel on one of the hubs, the bore of the wheel is not close to a zero tolerance fit. There's plenty of play in the original wheel as it sits on the hub. The studs are centering the wheel and bearing the load...the hubs are not. But I would still recommend a good set of aluminum hubcentric rings. Check eBay...you can find lots of 56.1mm inner diameter rings there for cheap.

Here's a pic of the brake drum hub...

Notice how there's a couple of ridges on the hub...it's not flat. So if you are trying the measure the hub diameter in the dark with a bunch of dirt and grease on the hubs, you might get different readings. Ask me how I know!

Here's a pic of the front hub with a hub ring in place...

Last edited by Top_Fuel; 05-05-2016 at 01:27 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-05-2016)