Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trying to make sense of Mitsubishi oil filter types

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Trying to make sense of Mitsubishi oil filter types

This is an old subject, but it still confuses me regarding the three or so Mitsubishi oil filter part numbers. The car comes with a 1230A105, they small one with no ADBV. Mitsubishi website shows MZ690072 as a replacement (with ADBV). Some Mitsubishi parts places show 1230A152 for the '15 Mirage, but I understand that the MZ690072 is likely the 'replacement' part number for a 'factory' part numbered 1230A152.
    Here's what I don't understand: If Mitsubishi already was manufacturing the 1230A152 and/or MZ690072, why would they spend the money to spec a smaller filter that fits Mirage only, then recommend the older, existing filter number as a replacement.
    Even more confusing, a dealer checked with Mitsubishi for me and was told that the only filter recommended by Mitsubishi for the 1.2L Mirage is the original 1230A105, which was still available (last fall).
    Just seems strange to me, doesn't make sense.
    I'm wondering what filter the 2017 Mirage comes with? Anyone know?

Last edited by tomrad; 05-08-2016 at 12:04 AM. Reason: additional information

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Wow - that's a lot of questions.

I'm not sure what end goal you are after. Many folks abandon the Mitsubishi filters for other aftermarket brands. Do you want to use only genuine Mitsubishi parts?

I wouldn't seek out one of the Mitsubishi filters, for a couple reasons. Not having a anti-drainback valve is unusual (these days) and I'm pretty sure one can get improved filtration specs with a similarly priced aftermarket replacement.

That being said - why worry about the confusing Mitsubishi oil filters?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Wow - that's a lot of questions.

I'm not sure what end goal you are after. Many folks abandon the Mitsubishi filters for other aftermarket brands. Do you want to use only genuine Mitsubishi parts?

I wouldn't seek out one of the Mitsubishi filters, for a couple reasons. Not having a anti-drainback valve is unusual (these days) and I'm pretty sure one can get improved filtration specs with a similarly priced aftermarket replacement.

That being said - why worry about the confusing Mitsubishi oil filters?
    Thanks. Actually, the Mitsubishi (Denso) MZ690072 does have the ADBV. It just seems strange to me that they would go to the trouble to have a filter specifically made for this one vehicle, when they could have used the one that they already had.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    For some reason, the filter that comes on these cars can't be purchased at the Mitsu parts counter. They hand you a different one, which seems to fit multiple Mitsubishi models sold in the US.

I wouldn't sweat it too much. Personally, I use Fram Ultras. But if you want to go OEM just head to the dealership parts counter, tell them what you drive, and see what they hand you.

Then go on the internet and buy a CASE of them for 1/3 the price!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

tomrad (05-08-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    For some reason, the filter that comes on these cars can't be purchased at the Mitsu parts counter. They hand you a different one, which seems to fit multiple Mitsubishi models sold in the US.

I wouldn't sweat it too much. Personally, I use Fram Ultras. But if you want to go OEM just head to the dealership parts counter, tell them what you drive, and see what they hand you.

Then go on the internet and buy a CASE of them for 1/3 the price!
    Thanks. What got me to wondering was the dealer parts dept., when they checked with Mitsubishi they were told that there was only one filter specified for Mirage and that's the 1230A105 (which they also had in stock). I have one but kind of like the anti drainback valve, so will probably use one of those instead.
    But, as I mentioned, it just seems strange to go to all of the trouble and cost to make this specific filter, then not use it (except from the factory). If it were me building the cars, I would have used the one already had on hand, MZ690072 with ADBV.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    MIRAGE
    Model/Year Engine Oil Filter MSRP
    2014-2015 1.2L 3cyl. MZ690072 $6.55

Straight from Mitsubishi MZ690072 is the replacement
    https://www.mitsubishicars.com/owner...vsp-oil-filter
    5.57 includes shipping
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/MITSUBISHI-O...xWXhEg&vxp=mtr
    Last edited by poorman1; 05-08-2016 at 07:15 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    It is odd, especially since all three filters are made in Thailand. If only the one that came on the Mirage was made in Thailand, it would make sense.

It's somewhat unheard of, but it doesn't really matter. Get a good aftermarket one and be done with it, ha.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    According to the ebay chart, that filter doesn't fit the Mirage. I'm a big fan of Mitsu oil filters. There is a lot of garbage in the aftermarket area.
    Last edited by flatbroke; 05-09-2016 at 02:25 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flatbroke View Post
    According to the ebay chart, that filter doesn't fit the Mirage. I'm a big fan of Mitsu oil filters. There is a lot of garbage in the aftermarket area.
    Agreed on the garbage. But Ultras are supposed to be pretty good, and are not too spendy at about $8 at Wally World.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flatbroke View Post
    I'm a big fan of Mitsu oil filters.
    Do you have any data on their filters? I'd like to see their filtration specifications.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)