Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tire pressure

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by strawboss View Post
    Are you referring to the Firestone fiasco where the Ford door placard recommended a low tire pressure to (hopefully) prevent their Explorers from rolling at low speed in an abrupt maneuver?
    Firestone/Ford Explorer debucle.. Exactly!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    Firestone/Ford Explorer debucle.. Exactly!
    Yah, that was sad....over 300 people killed and over 3000 seriously injured in NA.....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    People might want to do a little reading, that problem was due to a tire defect.....http://www.nhtsa.gov/About+NHTSA/Pre...+Investigation

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flatbroke View Post
    People might want to do a little reading, that problem was due to a tire defect.....http://www.nhtsa.gov/About+NHTSA/Pre...+Investigation
    Read some more. You cannot in any way say that the problem was solely due to a tire defect.
    https://www.citizen.org/documents/rootcause.pdf
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    Read some more. You cannot in any way say that the problem was solely due to a tire defect.
    https://www.citizen.org/documents/rootcause.pdf
    It was a crap tire that failed due to the owner\operator running the tire LOWER than the recommended tire pressure. Any other tire at lower psi was fine. The Firestone brand during that period of time was absolute garbage. Firestone tried to get NHTSA to go after Ford saying the problem was with the Explorer but NHTSA said it was no worse than any other small SUV.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Interesting. I read the article and I must have missed the part where the NHTSA claims the problem was due to a tire defect.

If I understand the basis of the article, Bridgestone/Firestone asked the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration "to open a safety defect investigation into the handling and control characteristics of the Ford Explorer sport utility vehicle (SUV) following a tread separation of a rear tire." The article states the NHTSA simply denied the request, without claiming a defect in the tires.

Perhaps that conclusion was drawn and delineated in another document? If possible, please provide another source.
    Last edited by Eggman; 05-11-2016 at 09:58 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    The very same thing was happening in SA where Explorers were fitted with Good Years. And 26psi Ford recommended is very low by any means.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Interesting. I read the article and I must have missed the part where the NHTSA claims the problem was due to a tire defect.

If I understand the basis of the article, Bridgestone/Firestone asked the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration "to open a safety defect investigation into the handling and control characteristics of the Ford Explorer sport utility vehicle (SUV) following a tread separation of a rear tire." The article states the NHTSA simply denied the request, without claiming a defect in the tires.

Perhaps that conclusion was drawn and delineated in another document? If possible, please provide another source.
    http://www.nhtsa.gov/nhtsa/announce/...one/Index.html

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    The very same thing was happening in SA where Explorers were fitted with Good Years. And 26psi Ford recommended is very low by any means.
    The 26 psi was fine, the problem was that people are lazy and wouldn't check them often enough, so when they went low, it was too late. So due to this we now have TPMS to remind us to fill our tires.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    flatbroke, Do you have any examples of widespread, documented problems with overinflated tires? So far, you have used an example of a underinflated, defective tire to argue against overinflating for fuel economy.

Also, I would still like to know if your post is original work.

From hybrid cars.com forum. Posted by vtr5955 Please delete and accept my apology if not appropriate...There have been many postings offering recommendations regarding increasing tire inflation to increase fuel economy...
    If this is the work of someone else, please quote your source. I'd like to learn more about it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)