Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Programming TPMS Sensors

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Any updates?
    I'm still stuck right now. All I know is that there's a problem with one ore more of the sensors...but I don't know which one(s). If the TPMS light flashes for the first minute, then there's supposed to be a related trouble code stored. I'm guessing whatever codes the dealer finds will tell them which sensors aren't working.

Here's where the real problem comes in. I talked to ATEQ customer support last week, and they said I might not be able to reset the system with their tool if there are exiting TPMS trouble codes?!? Uhhh....what?!?!

By the way...there are almost no instructions with that Mitsubishi TPMS Reset tool. It comes with a single 5x8" instruction card with pictures showing how to use it. There's no instruction manual and there's no info on their website.

So even if the dealer can tell me which sensor is bad, I can't just have Discount Tire install a new one and use the ATEQ tool to re-set everything...because I'm guessing I will still have a code that will keep the ATEQ Reset Tool from entering "learn" mode.

At this point it looks like I'll be relying on the dealer to fix AND re-set everything. So whatever happens, it doesn't look like this is going to be resolved without me dropping another $200+.

The car goes to the dealer on Tuesday...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yesterday I went to a local independent shop that has a professional scan tool with up-to-date software. I told them about my problem and they were fairly confident they could help me. These guys could clear the TPMS code, but they said it would immediately come back. After trying various things, they gave up after about 10 minutes. They were as bummed as I was, and they were nice enough not to charge me even when I offered to pay for their time.

So the car went to the Mitsubishi dealer this morning...and my TPMS light is finally OFF!!!

I left the car this morning and gave the service advisor a brief rundown of my issue.

I believe the error code in my TPMS system was for an unregistered sensor. The tech hooked up the Mitsubishi scan tool and checked all 4 TPMS sensor IDs stored in the car's computer. Then he walked around and checked the IDs of each of the 4 TPMS sensors in the wheels...and they didn't match! All the tech had to do was to clear the TPMS trouble code and register the existing sensors...and BOOM...no more TPMS problems!

As crazy as this sounds, supposedly the TPMS sensors in my new wheels were not the original sensors from my OEM alloy wheels! Or at least that's what the dealer said. What the #@$! How is that possible? I don't know what happened at Discount Tire...maybe they broke one of my original sensors and they just replaced them all without telling me? I don't know, and at this point I don't really care. It cost me $100, but I'm just happy that it's fixed. Unless I was the one working the scan tool and looking at the TPMS sensor IDs myself, I'm not sure who I believe at this point.

So you may be thinking... If this guy has the ATEQ Mitsureset tool, why didn't he just use that to register his existing sensors? I think the ATEQ tool would have worked IF my TPMS light wasn't flashing.

The issue for me was that once I drove the car with unregistered sensors in the wheels, it set a TPMS trouble code. If there are trouble codes in the TPMS system, then you can't use this (or any) tool to register the sensors until the codes have been erased. You have to clear the TPMS codes first and THEN you can register sensors. That's right out of the 2015 Mirage service manual.

The real killer is that as best as I can determine, nothing short of a full-blown Mitsubishi scan tool will clear TPMS codes in our cars. So if your TPMS light is flashing, you are pretty much heading to the dealer to find out what the problem is and have the code cleared from the system before doing anything else. I guess that's the lesson learned from this experience.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 05-19-2016 at 12:16 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Daox (05-18-2016),Eggman (05-18-2016),flatbroke (05-18-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My question is if I can have two sets of sensors registered at the same time.

If I swap my OEM wheels back on, my light turns off. When I put my VX wheels on with the sensors from the silver one, it takes a little bit for the light to kick on.
    Last edited by Cani Lupine; 05-18-2016 at 01:44 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cani Lupine View Post
    ...if I can have two sets of sensors registered at the same time.
    The Mirage TPMS system can store 2 complete sets of TPMS Sensor IDs...but only one of them can be active an any time.

EDIT...
    You cannot have 2 sets of sensors registered at the same time in a Mirage built for the US market.
    This feature is only available in European Mirages.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 10-26-2016 at 01:10 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

inuvik (05-18-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    The Mirage TPMS system can store 2 complete sets of TPMS Sensor IDs...but only one of them can be active an any time. THIS tool can let you switch between 2 sets of sensor IDs without a Mitsubishi scan tool.
    European Mirages can have this function activated so you can toggle between tire sets with the MID. There is a thread here with the info on this feature from the owner's manual. Wonder if we can, too?