Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Programming TPMS Sensors

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,474 Posts

Programming TPMS Sensors

Here's the deal...

I just had my original TPMS sensors swapped over to a set of new wheels/tires I just bought at Discount Tire. After 20 minutes of driving, the frigging TPMS light starts flashing and now stays on solid. Son of a #@%!

So I grab 2 different TPMS testing tools that I have and check all 4 sensors. I have an OTC 3833 and a TIPS tool. Unbelievably, it appears that only 1 of my 4 sensors is broadcasting. Both of my tools can only detect one of the sensors. WTF...I think those morons at Discount Tire may have jacked up the other 3 sensors?!? I'm not sure I'm ready to run to the dealer. I think they will see the new wheels and want me to pay $150 each for 3 new installed sensors. It looks like I can buy new sensors on Amazon for about $35. I've done this before with GM cars and it worked out fine.

So here's my question... I can activate the new sensors with my own tools...but I don't know how to get the Mitsubishi TPMS system into "learn" mode to register the new sensors. I have a feeling that I will need a Mitsubishi scan tool to do it. Does anyone know for sure?

EDIT... Problem solved. See Post #12

Last edited by Top_Fuel; 05-21-2016 at 06:07 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

18slcmirage (11-17-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    You have to use a Mitsibishi MUT (dealership) or an aftermarket tool like this one...

http://iapdirect.com/mitsubishi-lanc...n8XRoC2cbw_wcB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I think those morons at Discount Tire may have jacked up the other 3 sensors?!?
    Have you talked to Discount Tire? You might want to get them to correct this before spending any more on this.

TPMS worked before they worked on your car. TPMS is broken after they worked on your car.

Sorry you have to face this. Let us know what Discount Tire says.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

18slcmirage (11-17-2020),flatbroke (05-10-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Lift up the car and see if they're rattling around loose, they may not have properly secured them in the clips.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What eggman said, they worked before you brought them in. They should have to fix them.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to flatbroke For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (05-11-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    UPDATE: I'm a moron... Well...not completely.

The guys at Discount Tire were helpful (I've always had good luck there). I told them that it looked like 3 of my sensors were toast...and I even had one of my TPMS tools with me. They bring their latest tool out and walk around all 4 wheels and immediately see life from all of my sensors. What the ?!?!? I'm pleasantly surprised, but not sure why my tools don't get the same result. Unfortunately these guys don't have the necessary tool to re-learn late model Mitsubishis.

It appears my TPMS tools from 2010 are no longer on the cutting edge. They both need a software update. But it turned out that if I held them up to each sensor long enough, that eventually they did detect each sensor. I just wasn't giving them enough time. It's weird that the sensor on the left rear is detected in 3 seconds, but the remaining 3 require a little over 1 minute.

So here's what I don't understand... These sensors were registered to this car at the factory and just swapped to new wheels. Why is the TPMS light on? It looks like I need to go through a re-learn procedure, but I'm not sure why?

Thanks for the tip on the ATEQ tool. Looks like I will be adding yet another TPMS tool to my collection.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 05-11-2016 at 02:11 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Unfortunately these guys don't have the necessary tool to re-learn late model Mitsubishis.
    Did they fix this for you? If not, will they pay to get it fixed?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Did they fix this for you?
    The only thing they can't do is re-set my TPMS system. They have a decent tool, but it doesn't connect to the OBDII port. What is confusing to me is why would my system need to be re-set anyway? The same sensors are back on the car and they are functioning, but for some reason my car no longer recognizes them? I don't mind having to get the system reset, I'm just not understanding why the TPMS light is on right now.

If it matters, I removed the original wheels from the car and took them in by themselves when Discount Tire was assembling my new wheels/tires. My Mirage was on a lift in my garage without any wheels on it for a couple of weeks. And there's no doubt the sensors didn't go back to their original positions, but I'm not sure if either of those things have anything to do with the problem.

At this point I will probably get my own re-set tool and do it myself. Just another reason to buy another tool I suppose.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My TPMS saga continues...

I picked up a ATEQ Mitsureset tool in an attempt to reset my system. Unfortunately, this tool only comes with a generic set of picture instructions without any explanation detail. I can't seem to get it to work the way the pictures show. So I'll have to wait until tomorrow to talk to their tech support to figure out what I may be doing wrong. I'm getting close to throwing in the towel and heading to the dealer.

EDIT...

I should have stopped and paid closer attention to what the TPMS light is trying to tell me. Every time I drive my car, the TPMS light flashes for 1 minute and then stays on solid. I never noticed this. When the light flashes like this right after the car is started, this means there is a definite problem with one or more TPMS components. Either the sensors aren't registered to the car, or the signals from all 4 sensors are not being detected by the computer for some reason. My own tools tell me that the sensors are alive, but clearly the computer isn't reading all of them. Unfortunately, there's only one way to know exactly why the TPMS light is flashing, and that is to head to the dealer. So I'll find out on Tuesday what's going on for sure.

The ATEQ Mitsureset tool isn't helping me in this case, because you can't register sensors that the computer doesn't see.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 05-14-2016 at 01:13 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Any updates?