Thread: Lyft refuses to re-interview if you don't pass the first time

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Lyft refuses to re-interview if you don't pass the first time

I thought about doing rideshare and applied to be a Lyft driver. The "mentor" who interviewed me seemed extremely disinterested and made a comment about my car being small and a manual transmission. I got an email stating I was passed over. I waited and emailed them back to reapply and they said once you apply and fail you are blacklisted for life and can never ever reapply. This seems like a really stupid (borderline illegal) business practice. Has anyone else applied to be a driver for Lyft or does anyone work for them?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by burghbeagle View Post
    I thought about doing rideshare and applied to be a Lyft driver. The "mentor" who interviewed me seemed extremely disinterested and made a comment about my car being small and a manual transmission. I got an email stating I was passed over. I waited and emailed them back to reapply and they said once you apply and fail you are blacklisted for life and can never ever reapply. This seems like a really stupid (borderline illegal) business practice. Has anyone else applied to be a driver for Lyft or does anyone work for them?
    That's interesting. I wonder if any Federal hiring laws apply in this instance? I'm not sure if any anti-discrimination laws apply here.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    That's interesting. I wonder if any Federal hiring laws apply in this instance? I'm not sure if any anti-discrimination laws apply here.
    Unlikely.

You are a "contractor", not "employee". Uber just won a lawsuit on that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've just never heard of any company who will not permit you to fill out another application and interview a second time if you don't succeed the first time. Seems like a real poopy way to conduct business...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    You are a "contractor", not "employee". Uber just won a lawsuit on that.
    Not me, brother man! I can't see myself driving for them.

Why the application & interview process?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'd like to see that actual Email Saying your blacklisted for life
    \
    Quote Originally Posted by burghbeagle View Post

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The message stated "Unfortunately when you fail a mentor session, you will not be able to re-apply to become a driver." They also added "You are still welcome to use Lyft as a passenger. We're sorry for this inconvenience!" I will use Uber, a taxi, even walk 50 miles before I use those jerks. What a horrible way to run a business!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to burghbeagle For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (05-12-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am a full time uber driver and I will confirm that is true. A lyft mentor gets paid for evaluating you and your vehicle regardless if you pass or not. I didn't know you become black listed but think about things from the drivers point of view. Your just one more person to compete with, I wish you would have contacted me I would have seen if I had any lyft mentors in your area that would have passed you. My mirage is going to pass for lyft with a dented fender which lyft doesn't allow any body damage regardless of the vehicle. If you need a promo code to drive for uber use my referral and I'll give you 50% of what I get for a while in Pittsburg that was $500 bonus to sign up. Once you've clicked ubers website and entered your name and e
    Email you cannot get the sign up bonus, same for lyft.
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Correction, I only think it's fair if I take the sign on bonus that I get (drivers usually get $100 after 10-100 trips) -20% taxes -$20 donation to the forums and then split 50/50, since after all The message boards connected things

2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)