Thread: What battery terminal? (stainless? copper? lead?)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks

Question What battery terminal? (stainless? copper? lead?)

Hi im wondering if what type of battery terminal to use? I see several types but i cant choose what. A friend of mine said that when using a batt terminal that is stainless cant be good for batteries just like the terminals that is used by those who setup audio in their cars that has different guage slots. Unlike the original he said which i think is lead type terminal.

like this
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  9.8 KB

Or he said to buy a copper type like this is way better
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  14.9 KB

Hoping to get some of your comments.

What i want is to arrange my wires instead of putting them on top of each other when attaching to the negative terminal but i also dont want to risk something that could harm in the long run.

Last edited by mitsumi; 05-11-2016 at 10:48 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    ??? anyone?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    A terminal is a terminal.
    Longevity and soundness of connection are dependant on maintenance of the connection/terminal.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Any material conductor is fine but if your worried about long term stay away from anything that isnt crimped together, or soldered together. The "screw type" you have is junk and only conducts on a small portion of the conductor, and they generally last about 5-6 years vs almost indefinitely. The screw type will fail at the cable connection, gauranteed.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MightyMirageMpg For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-12-2016),poorman1 (05-14-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Top one. It has more options for cables. The bottom has 2, top has 4. On that note, ive been doing car audio for years and ive never had an issue with corrosion from "wrong material terminals". Average people just dont take care of their vehicles.... I wish I could find the old 80's volkwagon battery terminals new, they are like the top ones you got but slightly different, black, and awesome looking. A friend had his oe on his 80's jetta and i was like "whaaaaaaaat".... screw terminals are no issue either, both of those have screws, when you tighten well enough with the proper gauge wire it makes contact with the inner wall by about 180 degrees if not slightly more so there is plenty of contact..... anyone who has issues with screw terminals either over tighten it or not enough. However, if you feel it an issue, get a can blow torch and a thick spool of solder or lead (if you can find it). Heat the terminal up red hot and fill the sucker with solder/lead (while the wire is in it, and tighened down.) It will end up a permanent connection and 100% contact.....

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Screw terminals should be fine - if the connections never move or vibrate. If there is any movement, the soft metals (copper wire) will deform and work loose to an intermittent connection.

Is all this really necessary? What's wrong with the original battery terminals again?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)