Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: lowering the final drive, aka "nerd gear" for better fuel economy/MPG

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    I thought it is possible with ETAC twicks.
    i have no idea what etac even is, but its all electronic, so there's got to be a way?

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Thanks so much for the link. Mind if I ask where you got it?
    no problem and i was googling bellhousing pictures.

im kind of convinced the 3a92 shares the "world" engine design platform. if it does this is absolute ground breaking in terms of "swappability", and not only could we swap in limited slip filled 5@6 speeds, but the engine list that would bolt up to our drivetrain is crazy huge, and filled with anything from economy, too input shaft snapping, axle twisting high hp engines, and potential for awd and rwd conversions.

(wiki is wrong about the world engine/trans the list is mammouth and spans many manufacturers)

but looking at pictures on Google and bolting crap together is two different things. later this year i will hit the yard and pull an engine and confirm my theory

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MightyMirageMpg For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-17-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Here's a picture of my spare, oriented "as mounted" in the car. The other pictures a tag, with numbers that may mean something to others.

Ide estimate the weight at about 75-85lbs, including a small pallet. There's about 3lbs of extra removable stuff i seen for you weight watchers.

If you look at pictures of the Dodge caliber transmission, which is a world block design, (the 1.8, 2.4 and 2.4t) the Bellhousing looks very similar.

I went to my local yard today looking for a caliber, (I own one of these too, an 08 srt4) but they didn't have any. I was hoping to find an engine or transmission I could compare.

If anyone has an extra engine or transmission that bolts up too anything with the "world block" design, please post up. I will make a paper gasket and mail it you in an envelope.

Dodge, Mitsubishi, Hyundai, and multiple other manufacturers developed this design.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MightyMirageMpg For This Useful Post:

Daox (05-21-2016),foama (05-22-2016),gone.a (06-17-2016),inuvik (05-21-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    bump too the top for what i suspect will be the most effective mpg mod!

i can take some general measurements of the bell if anyone has anything they think may work,...
    Last edited by MightyMirageMpg; 06-14-2016 at 04:17 PM.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    bump too the top for what i suspect will be the most effective mpg mod!

i can take some general measurements of the bell if anyone has anything they think may work,...
    That quite could be. I have modified gearing on motorcycles in the past, and 10% reduction in gearing combined with reduced restrictions in intake/exhaust give noticeable improvement in MPG.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cyclopathic For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (06-17-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    any updates to this? i was curious if a just a regular lancer's 4b11 engine would bolt up to the trans, if so i could handle the the rest. talk about a dirt cheap way to double your power!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage es 1.2 manual: 43.7 mpg (US) ... 18.6 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    No updates but everything I've read leads me to believe the 3a92 is the lancer motor sans 1 cylinder. I believe it will bolt up, but not in.

If your serious about doing a swap, i gladly assist you measuring or whatever preliminary questions that require the trans out of the car.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MightyMirageMpg For This Useful Post:

btavish (10-03-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    No updates but everything I've read leads me to believe the 3a92 is the lancer motor sans 1 cylinder. I believe it will bolt up, but not in.

If your serious about doing a swap, i gladly assist you measuring or whatever preliminary questions that require the trans out of the car.
    the measurment i am interested in that seems to be hard to attain is the block length difference between the 3a92 and the 4b11. just looking down on the pulley side of my engine i see maybe an inch and a half of clearance. i know it will need clearancing but it would be good to know just so i can see how viable of a swap it really is.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage es 1.2 manual: 43.7 mpg (US) ... 18.6 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

thanks for that post though, it does shed a ray of hope on this swap!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    https://www.slideshare.net/mobile/Ll...structor-guide

here's the guide, "f5mbd" is our transmission code. there's a complete rebuild guide in there.
    I've saved the pictures of our F5MBD Overhaul Guide to a photo album in case this document ever goes away. I'll include that section here (each image is a clickable link):

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-07-2020),Fummins (12-05-2020),inuvik (12-05-2020),MirageRally (12-05-2020),Top_Fuel (12-06-2020)

Fantastic. Thanks!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)