Thread: Idle neutral control

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Idle neutral control

Stuck in traffic today for 20 minutes. Stopped for 2-3 minutes or more at a time, creep, stop, etc. Didn't think to put trans in neutral, and it wasn't practical anyway because I was never sure when traffic would move (winding back road with accident up ahead). I turned around finally and took another route.
    Go me to wondering about idle neutral control in the cvt. So I looked on a website about CVT7's and, according to Jatco, idle neutral control is the same as neutral, and trans switches to this mode as long as you are on a flat surface or minimal grade, and a few other qualifications. Mitsubishi advises to switch to neutral for extended stops. Not really sure if leaving trans in D is an issue under long stop from traffic jams, stop and go, etc. Anyone know more about idle neutral control? Thanks.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Jatco trannys have been around a long time. I had limited exposure to them back in my dealership days. But I don't recall any of our heavyline techs doing a whole lot of work to them. I live in Minneapolis where the traffic jams are just about as bad as anywhere else and I'm sure our drivers here are too lazy to worry about it one way or the other, so I'm guessing just leaving it in drive is ok.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to flatbroke For This Useful Post:

tomrad (05-12-2016)