Thread: FWD only actuates one wheel?

Country
    Switzerland
    Thanks

Question FWD only actuates one wheel?

Hello guys and gals,

just came back from an oil change at the dealership and was told that my tires soon need replacement. In particular, it was pointed out that one tire had serious wear (rear right tire, which was at the front a tire rotation before).
    My question as to whether this could be caused by a real wheel misalignment was shrug off by commenting on how the Mirage actually actuates the front wheel drive.
    I must confess that I am confused, because I was told that the FWD only applies torque on the right front wheel and this would be the reason for the increased wear on that single tire.

Can you please help me to better understand this? Is this correct, only one tire is propelling the whole car?

thx a lot for your insights

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.8 mpg (US) ... 20.3 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    I'm pretty sure our manual transaxles have a differential.

I don't think that is how differential gearing works.

I think it works as depicted in this video:
    YouTube: Around The Corner (1937) How Differential Steering Works (A Jam Handy Picture)
    Last edited by Eggman; 05-15-2016 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Added a bit more to the post.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    If one tire would move the entire car, the whole car would not drive straight

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage Intense 1.2 manual: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Both front wheels drive the car, but it doesn't have posi-traction, so in slippery conditions, the wheel with the least amount of traction will spin first, taking all the driving forward force, so you get stuck. I would say check alignment and go from there.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    Of course both front wheels pull the car forward. If a mechanic tells you otherwise, he is an imposter or a crook! Go some other place!

If you have an alignment-related tyre-wear problem, get it fixed! In the mean time, and also as a general rule, rotating the tyres more frequently saves more money. You can do that yourself.

A simplified explanation: If a wheel has excessive camber, (wheel not standing vertical on the ground, being an issue with some Mirage rear axles) the tread will wear out much more quickly on the side of the tyre closer to the ground.
    Last edited by foama; 05-16-2016 at 09:53 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Flatbroke is correct in that both front wheels propel the car, and that once one tire starts to slip all the power goes to that one tire. It could be the right or left one, just which ever one slips first. Pretty much every single front wheel drive car is the same way. The only ones that aren't have limited slip differentials which is rare and only used on high powered cars.

Thus, I can almost guarantee its an alignment issue.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    It is most likely alignment issue, have it checked

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)