Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just bought 2017 Mirage!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    One question for you. Does your car have the automatic climate control? If so, there is a way to keep the auto climate control from automatically turning on the AC. I found mine would turn on the AC almost all the time. I didn't want that, so I turned it off.
    No, I don't have climate control. I don't plan to use the AC much and I'm sure I'll get use to the cycling.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Joni For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-16-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Welcome to the site!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I agree. I recently sold my previous car, a 2007 Ford Focus SE wagon. The few times I would drive it after I bought my Mirage, I was surprised at how much heavier it was, how noisy it was, and how much smoother my Mirage ran. I miss having the room of that wagon - I could fit a lot in there - but I rarely used that cargo capacity. I figure there's no need to haul all that extra weight around if I rarely use it.

And as you say, the Mirage is better on gas. I'm going about twice as far in my Mirage than the old Focus for the same amount of fuel.
    I've owned a lot of Fords and typically they always got terrible gas mileage and performance for the size of the engine. The V6s and V8s though are much smoother than their 4 cylinders.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    One question for you. Does your car have the automatic climate control? If so, there is a way to keep the auto climate control from automatically turning on the AC. I found mine would turn on the AC almost all the time. I didn't want that, so I turned it off.
    I believe if you hold down the AC button for 10 seconds it changes automatic climate control so that it doesn't activate AC unless you press it manually (or adjust the temperature control to the lowest setting)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 42.7 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.2 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to anog For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-16-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've had 4 cylinder cars that had this same feeling. Just get in the habit of the AC button being a power boost, when I'm getting on freeways or climbing steap hills I hit the AC button to turn it off momentarily.

Such a sharp car! Welcome, we are so happy to have Metro owners here that understand the beauty of a small wonder.
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Congrats!!!!!!!!you will get use to the surge , and you can control some of that, by the way you drive. You will fall in love with it. I love the color !! Almost the same color as my OutlanderName:  image.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  95.9 KB Glad you choose Mirage a Great Car!!
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Welcome to the forums, I absolutely love that color and would have picked it in a geartbeat if it was available on the 2014's.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Congrats on your '17 Mirage! I love my Mirage. Right from the start, I recognized that it was a quirky little car with issues I'd have to adjust to. I think the engine runs very smoothly, but I know what you mean about the "surging" with the AC on. It drives me kinda crazy to be honest. It's very common in low powered cars. My 2012 Nissan Versa had the same issue, but not quite as severe. Couple the surging from the AC compressor with the surging from the CVT and it makes for some herky-jerky acceleration from red light to red light. I was hoping the 2017 Mirage would be turbo charged, or better yet, supercharged. Nissan made a supercharged 3cyl Micra, so it can be done. The Mirage could really use that. 74hp (78hp for '17) and 74 lb-ft of torque doesn't quite cut it. Would probably feel peppy with about 25 more of both.

Sounds like you're getting great MPGs! Living in the suburbs, I average in the low 40's.

Mirage G4 SE
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Refinement

Hey there. I owned a 2015 Mirage ES hatch CVT with Navigation and just recently taded it on 2017 Mirage G4 SE CVT
    and I noticed this with mine as well and I believe it is normal. With my 2015 I notcied at idle when the ac compressor kicked on and off you would feel the rpm jump quiet a bit. Also while driving I could feel a diffence in power and forward motion. My 2017 does the exact same thing but less noticeable brcause its much more refined than my 2015 was. The ac fans run on and off constantly in these little cars and you can notice the surging when the ac is on and a difference in power. I was driving my 2017 Mirage G4 2 days ago and it was really hot that day and had ac on max high and I could notice the power reduction compared to when it was off. But again this is normal with their 3 cylinder engines and they have their own engine and transmission noises that characteristics of the little Mirage (which I love its quirks). I will say that the refinement between the 2015 and 2017 is a huge difference such as the idle, quietness, sound of engine with windows down, ride, steering and more making the 2017 worth the upgrade. I loved my 2015 model as well though!

Quote Originally Posted by Joni View Post
    I'll start off by saying that I have never owned a new car. I've been a '96 Geo Metro driver for the past 6 years. I have never even test driven a new car so I don't have much to compare the Mirage with. I've owned my 2017 5 speed ES for 5 days and so far I like it a lot. It's not perfect. It's engine/trans is a little noisy (quieter than Geo) and when driving with the AC on there is a noticeable "surging" that is kind of annoying......(Does anyone notice this problem with a 2014-2015?) I do really like that I've been averaging about 48mpg. This is mixed driving with a lot of mountainous terrain. I even hit 52mpg yesterday when driving about 55mph on a hilly 2 lane highway. The steering seems pretty sensitive but overall it is easy to drive. It's definitely much faster and has better acceleration that my Geo. I had some buyers remorse the day I got it. The AC surging was a little obnoxious and I wasn't so sure about the color I got (Sunrise Orange). After driving it for a couple days, I'm happy I bought it and I'm really starting to like the color. It's not so much orange but more like copper.

Has anyone else driven the 2017 and how do you think it compared with the 2015?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mirage ES Navi For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-14-2017)