Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2016 outlander sport

Country
    United States
    Thanks

2016 outlander sport

We are thinking about getting an outlander sport to replace our Kia Sportage. We love our 2014 Mirage and think the build quality is great. We would consider another Mirage, but we need a vehicle with a higher ground clearance to get out to our camp. Just looking online I realize there are not many small SUV choices where you can get a manual trans, this is a must have for me. Anyone own an Outlander Sport or have any opinions on it?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I own a 2014. Although, I have the FWD CVT version. Personally it's a love hate just because I got FWD instead of AWC. Gas mileage is kind of hard to get the sticker rating on the CVT to be honest. You really have to baby it when driving while it's either too hot or too cold outside. 60-70F seems to be the sweet spot for the best MPGs. (Also, average highway speed here is 70MPH, traffic is a steady 75-80MPH tho)

Otherwise, I love the build quality and what you get for the money. It drives very comfortably and I really have no complaints on how it handles and I feel it has just enough power to get the job done.

Bought mine brand new with like 80 miles on the ODO, at approx. 42500 or so now and just now getting ready to trade it in for a Mirage.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have a 2015. Love it!! Easily the best bang for the buck out there. Mine is awd with the smaller motor. Really like it!! Why the love for the manual transmission? CVT in ours, works great!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flatbroke View Post
    I have a 2015. Love it!! Easily the best bang for the buck out there. Mine is awd with the smaller motor. Really like it!! Why the love for the manual transmission? CVT in ours, works great!!
    I've never driven a CVT, but I will test drive one before I make my decision. I prefer a manual mainly due to the fun factor. One thing that has always bothered me with an automatic is when you are going up a small hill with the cruise on and it downshifts when it is not necessary, wasting gas but just really annoying me. This might not be the case with a CVT. Did you get yours from White Bear Mitsubishi? I see they still have some 2015's on their lot, probably could get one those with the CVT and AWD for the price of a FWD 2016 with the 5MT, so I will be checking them out. That is where I bought my 2014 Mirage and I do think they are an honest car dealer. So, you really have no complaints with your 2015?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatsby View Post
    I own a 2014. Although, I have the FWD CVT version. Personally it's a love hate just because I got FWD instead of AWC. Gas mileage is kind of hard to get the sticker rating on the CVT to be honest. You really have to baby it when driving while it's either too hot or too cold outside. 60-70F seems to be the sweet spot for the best MPGs. (Also, average highway speed here is 70MPH, traffic is a steady 75-80MPH tho)

Otherwise, I love the build quality and what you get for the money. It drives very comfortably and I really have no complaints on how it handles and I feel it has just enough power to get the job done.

Bought mine brand new with like 80 miles on the ODO, at approx. 42500 or so now and just now getting ready to trade it in for a Mirage.
    You will love the Mirage, the mileage is so amazing, but it does drop quite a bit when it is cold out. Glad your Outlander Sport has been reliable, My mirage has had no problems and now has 26,000 miles...no complaints at all!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    I've never driven a CVT, but I will test drive one before I make my decision. I prefer a manual mainly due to the fun factor. One thing that has always bothered me with an automatic is when you are going up a small hill with the cruise on and it downshifts when it is not necessary, wasting gas but just really annoying me. This might not be the case with a CVT. Did you get yours from White Bear Mitsubishi? I see they still have some 2015's on their lot, probably could get one those with the CVT and AWD for the price of a FWD 2016 with the 5MT, so I will be checking them out. That is where I bought my 2014 Mirage and I do think they are an honest car dealer. So, you really have no complaints with your 2015?
    . Its been great so far. Had a 2014 before this, traded it in for a 2015. I really can't think of anything I don't like about it. I guess it could use a little more power but I knew that when I bought it. I really enjoy having AWD. Nice to know it's there when I need it.
    Last edited by flatbroke; 05-17-2016 at 05:20 AM.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    We are thinking about getting an outlander sport to replace our Kia Sportage. We love our 2014 Mirage and think the build quality is great. We would consider another Mirage, but we need a vehicle with a higher ground clearance to get out to our camp. Just looking online I realize there are not many small SUV choices where you can get a manual trans, this is a must have for me. Anyone own an Outlander Sport or have any opinions on it?
    While I suggest test driving the cvt to see what you think, if you enjoy driving at all, the cvt is often blasted by car enthusiasts as the most annoying and boring tranny to drive. It definitely is a unique driving experience. If you want an SUV with a stick, your choices are limited to the Outlander Sport, Mazda CX5, Jeep Renegade, Honda HRV, and Fiat 500X.

The Outlander is a decent choice although mileage is below average and power is on the weak side. Dash is dated in its design but it's still decently attractive. Deals are always going on, with good sized rebates.

The CX5 is the sportiest of the bunch with excellent driving dynamics, great mileage, and decent power and it happens to be the roomiest. Rebates are rare on them, however, so getting a good deal would be hard. You pay for the sporty factor. Price was the main reason I did not go for one.

The Jeep is for those who like to stand out with a boxy off road flair. It offers turbo power and ties the Honda in feature availability. The Renegade is the only one you can get 4 wheel drive with the stick and the only one with a dual sunroof. They can get pricey, even more then the CX5, but you do get more features to offset that and Jeep often offers rebates.

The Honda has great room and cargo capacity for its smaller size, offers a lot of higher level features, and has good looks inside/out, but it's power is underwhelming and handling isn't up to Honda's standards. It's built in Mexico so I have my doubts that it will have the infamous Honda build quality. Not much of a discount on these, since they are so new.

Last but not least is the Fiat 500X, which I happen to own. Sporty European styling inside/out, roomy, comfortable seats, fastest of the bunch (the turbo hauls butt and the aftermarket support for the turbo is huge thanks to sharing an engine with the Abarth), great handling, firm but well controlled ride, and I'm easily averaging 28-30 mpg in city/suburb driving while using it to deliver food. It's biggest downfall is the lack of options. You get power everything, auto down all windows, auto up in the front, AC, cruise, and aux/usb hookups. But you can't get Bluetooth or a backup camera (it's twin the Renegade offers these). I solved the Bluetooth issue by adding a sun visor aftermarket unit. So far I'm loving it! It stands out from the crowd, feels more expensive then it is, is very fun to drive (I can go way faster around turns then an SUV has any business going), and has been completely reliable. No teething issues in its first 7500 miles. And Fiat has been offering huge rebates on them. I got $4k in rebates when I bought mine back in February, effectively making it the best SUV deal on the market. Give it a look/see. If you enjoy driving, I have no doubt you will find it one of the few fun to drive SUVs out there.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carfreak09 View Post
    If you want an SUV with a stick, your choices are limited to the Outlander Sport, Mazda CX5, Jeep Renegade, Honda HRV, and Fiat 500X.
    I'm surprised you didn't mention the Jeep Wrangler.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That would be Great to get the Outlander!! I really enjoy mine!! But I have the full size outlander
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The CVT is Great in mine. Don't know about this Negitive talk about the CVT. It's a lot diffrent then the mirage with the CVT . If you whant more power you can go for the V6 and go as fast as you whant.

hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)