Thread: Wondering about wandering

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Wondering about wandering

So before I bought my '14 ES 5speed (now w/ 26K), I drove several new and slightly used mirages cvt and manual. They all tended to wander especially on the highway, requiring increased attention and adjustment of steering, more so than any car I've driven. I just chalked it up to the "bad handling" that all the reviews indicated.

However it is annoying, and possibly unsafe, crossing lines when my attention is distracted by .... radio, phone, talking to another person, etc.

I've looked at various posts, particularly about rear cross member problems and alignment. It's not clear if replacing the cross member or adding aftermarket stabilizer bars has improved this handling problems. Anybody have any luck with these?

I had swapped wheels from my old del sol, 185/70-14's and the handling improved notably, but the tires did bump something in the rear when going over driveways. So I bought some 175/70s to replace the nearly worn out ensaves, and the results have been less than stellar.

So my next step is to have an alignment check, and then consider replacing the cross member if the rear is out.

Any other thoughts or ideas how to fix? Has everyone had this problem? Is it just the bad handling of these little gas misers?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I only really notice the wandering when it's windy out. Then it feels like I'm being thrown around pretty good. I don't feel that it's dangerous (I don't tend to get distracted while driving), and if anything keeps me more alert by having to make corrections.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wellswebdesign View Post
    I only really notice the wandering when it's windy out. Then it feels like I'm being thrown around pretty good. I don't feel that it's dangerous (I don't tend to get distracted while driving), and if anything keeps me more alert by having to make corrections.
    I never noticed it either and I have taken lots of long trips before I did anything with the suspension or wheels. It always went where it was pointed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wellswebdesign View Post
    I never noticed it either and I have taken lots of long trips before I did anything with the suspension or wheels. It always went where it was pointed. Maybe it has to do with alignment?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by philavine View Post
    So my next step is to have an alignment check
    Make this your first step.

I took advantage of a free alignment check at my local NTB.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Make this your first step.

I took advantage of a free alignment check at my local NTB.
    How was your alignment?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    They said it was good.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)