Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Getting ready for first autocross Sunday. (pics)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Keep it civil fellas.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

wilbur (05-24-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,821 Times in 2,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flatbroke View Post
    We all look forward to reports on your adventure.
    Yes more reports please.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am actually serious about wanting to know how this turns out. I think the Mirage is well made for what it is, but I don't think it will hold up under this type of abuse. I could be totally wrong, (it has happened once before I think), but run her to the limit and lets see what happens!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flatbroke View Post
    I am actually serious about wanting to know how this turns out. I think the Mirage is well made for what it is, but I don't think it will hold up under this type of abuse. I could be totally wrong, (it has happened once before I think), but run her to the limit and lets see what happens!
    I completely agree with this statement. What truly worries me is the tiny little tierods. It gets pretty brutal out there, and the guys at my neighborhood auto stores already warned me about the unavailability of general parts.

Anyone who looks on eBay can buy motors and transmissions complete for very little cash, and swapping these items out appears to be a few hour job each.

Next motor I see within driving distance will be sitting next too my spare transmission. I have a megasquirt 2 v3.57 I've been dying to stick on something, and a boosted 3a92 in a gutted mirage could pack quite a punch without sacrificing (most likely gaining) mpg.

I've always been curious about the mivec controls and what RPM they activate, or if it's map based. This is another thing that could drastically improve mpg for the higher mph freeway people, if it's based solely on rpm. To me it feels like it switches profiles around 3400, but I have no proof.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I guess I have to brag, my insurance company doesn't mind people who race, granted, they also aren't a high end brand name insurance company. ****, I straight up told them I crashed my s2000 because I was drifting, and they still paid for the fix, and my insurance at the time only went up 10 bucks a month for $6000 in damage repairs.

But on that, the name of the game, this car handles itself very well. I hate to once again confirm that I am "that guy" but I've raced a few people and they get SUPER mad when they are passed by a Mirage. I mean, when you are driving XX speed, and a Mirage passes you, that's like getting passed by a Prius, you don't let it happen, REGARDLESS if they were actually racing me or not (some where some weren't) being passed by a Mirage is a huge kick in your manhood..... Funnily enough, most of the time they have much larger vehicles so they can't keep up because of the tight spots I can wedge the Mirage into to get further ahead.

On handling, I've had a few sticky situations, I was doing 110 on a turn that my STI can do easily 140, so I was already pushing it, I doubt other drivers could handle that speed in the Mirage on that particular wide angle turn, its scary for normal people..... anyway, this d-bag decided to change lanes without a blinker, so I had to lay on the brakes mid turn. The rear end began to slowly move around into an over-steer moment. A quick light counter steer and all was corrected and well. The d-bag got back into the lane he WAS ALREADY IN so s/he could turn off at the fork near the end of the turn.... so they are assholes looking for a paycheck from a rear ending.... it happens, people are assholes (more than I, rofl...)

One night, I was going home from work, pissed off and its pouring down rain. So, I took the off ramp too fast. Thinking to myself "bro, this aint your sti, wtf were you thinking" long story short, I wasn't cuz I was pissed. So, to fix my under-steer, I yank the ebrake pretty hard, the rear end comes sailing around into an over-steer situation. So I counter-steer and hold. The whole first 90 degrees of the 180 degree off ramp, I drifted and held it... so ****ing epic. The next day it was raining again, so I decided to see at what point the rear end comes around when pulling the ebrake. Turns out, the rear end drums are pretty well matched with those tires, just barely touching it, around it comes. This time I held the drift all the way around the 180 turn by constantly tapping the ebrake to keep it going. When I got to the first red light, a truck pulled up next to me and asked me if the car was modded to RWD, I said "no" and surprised he asked "how" and I said "ebrake". He exclaimed "no way" and pulled off as the light turned green. People are funny.....

The car has lots of potential, a nice suspension that lowers and properly stiffens, a turbo, an LSD, and the trans modified into a dog box, it would be one hell of a contender in sporting events.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to namco For This Useful Post:

anog (07-17-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by namco View Post
    I guess I have to brag, my insurance company doesn't mind people who race, granted, they also aren't a high end brand name insurance company. ****, I straight up told them I crashed my s2000 because I was drifting, and they still paid for the fix, and my insurance at the time only went up 10 bucks a month for $6000 in damage repairs.

But on that, the name of the game, this car handles itself very well. I hate to once again confirm that I am "that guy" but I've raced a few people and they get SUPER mad when they are passed by a Mirage. I mean, when you are driving XX speed, and a Mirage passes you, that's like getting passed by a Prius, you don't let it happen, REGARDLESS if they were actually racing me or not (some where some weren't) being passed by a Mirage is a huge kick in your manhood..... Funnily enough, most of the time they have much larger vehicles so they can't keep up because of the tight spots I can wedge the Mirage into to get further ahead.

On handling, I've had a few sticky situations, I was doing 110 on a turn that my STI can do easily 140, so I was already pushing it, I doubt other drivers could handle that speed in the Mirage on that particular wide angle turn, its scary for normal people..... anyway, this d-bag decided to change lanes without a blinker, so I had to lay on the brakes mid turn. The rear end began to slowly move around into an over-steer moment. A quick light counter steer and all was corrected and well. The d-bag got back into the lane he WAS ALREADY IN so s/he could turn off at the fork near the end of the turn.... so they are assholes looking for a paycheck from a rear ending.... it happens, people are assholes (more than I, rofl...)

One night, I was going home from work, pissed off and its pouring down rain. So, I took the off ramp too fast. Thinking to myself "bro, this aint your sti, wtf were you thinking" long story short, I wasn't cuz I was pissed. So, to fix my under-steer, I yank the ebrake pretty hard, the rear end comes sailing around into an over-steer situation. So I counter-steer and hold. The whole first 90 degrees of the 180 degree off ramp, I drifted and held it... so ****ing epic. The next day it was raining again, so I decided to see at what point the rear end comes around when pulling the ebrake. Turns out, the rear end drums are pretty well matched with those tires, just barely touching it, around it comes. This time I held the drift all the way around the 180 turn by constantly tapping the ebrake to keep it going. When I got to the first red light, a truck pulled up next to me and asked me if the car was modded to RWD, I said "no" and surprised he asked "how" and I said "ebrake". He exclaimed "no way" and pulled off as the light turned green. People are funny.....

The car has lots of potential, a nice suspension that lowers and properly stiffens, a turbo, an LSD, and the trans modified into a dog box, it would be one hell of a contender in sporting events.
    Only problem is most cars are much faster than a Mirage. Once rolling it can pace some, but if anyone put their foot down you are dust lol. The going faster through the corners part is just balls and grip. Once you are going 110 in the Mirage there is no throttle left. You are very close to situation you can't correct. I did that in a Saturn SC2. I was ripping 90 degree corners at 90 MPH and tried at 100, there wasn't enough petal left to pull through the corner. My Alloy Wheel ripped in half on the curb and the car spin 3 times around. All the warning lights and dash beeps were going off, but the air bag didn't deploy until the car had came to a complete stop. I was laid back so it never touched me

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

A couple comments:
    - I think UR sway bar would be a good complement to your driving style. With AD springs car understeer on entry but then oversteer mid corner...
    - take it to the tail of dragon
    - which tires are you on?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    A couple comments:
    - I think UR sway bar would be a good complement to your driving style. With AD springs car understeer on entry but then oversteer mid corner...
    - take it to the tail of dragon
    - which tires are you on?
    rofl, the oem enasaves man, good old 165-65-14, the 110 was pushing it for like a mile downhill before the long sweeper... i wanna upgrade bad but if i do im going 15" rims and 205-50-15 federal rs-rr tires

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    rofl, the oem enasaves man, good old 165-65-14, the 110 was pushing it for like a mile downhill before the long sweeper... i wanna upgrade bad but if i do im going 15" rims and 205-50-15 federal rs-rr tires
    Agree stock rims are to narrow even if you can bfgoodrich SS in 185/60R14 they will roll off. So why 205? 195/50R15 closer to oem size.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    you get the mirage too do 110.........? i hit 88mph and although i didn't go back in time, i did hit an extremely slight hill, and it stopped.

i would suggest refraining from ANY high speed manuevers with the factory enslaved tires. once a hard compound tire looses grip, you won't regain it in any short amount of time.

but I'm glad not the only mirage owner with a more capable car that enjoys pounding a mushroom!!!