Thread: Dont know what it is

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks

Question Dont know what it is

just saw this from a Thai mirage club in FB but i dont understand what might be the problem. but if im not mistaken this is under the wheels right?

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  62.9 KB

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  56.9 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Bikerfreind
    Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    Im not sure if it is a kind of a antiroll bar, i assume i know what it is, but as told im not shure.. Looks like this part, which in Danish is a " Krængningsstabilisator "https://www.google.com/search?q=kr%C...VQyyNMzpIGM%3A

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's the outer tie rod end.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cani Lupine For This Useful Post:

Daox (05-23-2016),flatbroke (05-21-2016)

Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    It is used for turning the front wheels? Also I see no problem, only paint flaking off. not a big problem...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage Intense 1.2 manual: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    yes its used for turning the wheels. the outer is attached to the inner tie rod which is connected to the steering rack.

outer tie rod, there is nothing wrong with it. it looks like some idiot painted the rubber and that paint is cracking off from it moving, which it does, as why its called a tie rod.

to check a tie rod for play, the wheel must be on and the car raised, you grab the tire at 9 and 3 and wiggle left/right. you can tell it has play by the motion from left to right, there will be a loose feeling when changing from left to right or right to left. to check if its the outer, you put your hand on the outer tie rod like in your picture and have someone or you wiggle, if you feel the outer tie rod in your hand has movement that matches the wheel its the outer. if you don't feel it, its probably the inner. to test the inner you grab the boot on the steering rack and pull towards you or down, you will then shake wheel and feel it there. if both are good, nothing to worry about.

a cracked boot will lose grease and the joint will eventually fail, and i don't mean cracked like the picture. most of the time, as a mechanic, we don't even recommend replacement if the boot is cracked open, because 9 times out of 10 the customer doesn't want to spend money on it, if it isn't broken yet.....

7. The Following User Says Thank You to namco For This Useful Post:

Cani Lupine (05-21-2016)