Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1.2L Mirage clutch replacement cost (estimate)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Merv View Post
    ...I realized there was a major problem when the transmission was in neutral, but the clutch was still engaging. So she had to be towed.
    Almost sounds like it was somewhat of a fluke. I'm pretty sure you're the only one who has reported a problem like this. Thanks for following up. It sounds like they got you fixeded up!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flatbroke View Post
    I didn't find it posted anywhere. Alldata shows 6.8 hours to replace the disc, pressure plate and flywheel. Disc and plate show about $400 at Mitsu dealer. Maybe about $50 to resurface flywheel. Most dealers are at least a $100 per hour by me. I would say about $1200 to replace a clutch.
    6.8 hours to change a clutch disc sounds a bit much for such a small engine and transmission. I bet I could remove and replace the engine in only four or five hours. Shoot, the engine is so small it could be removed without even using a lift.

Anyway, back to the clutch topic. My car has 200k miles and is still on the original clutch disk. I'm hoping to get at least 250k miles out of this clutch, but with the amount of miles it has, there is always the possibility it could go at any moment.

Normally I get parts like this from RockAuto. They don't sell clutch kits or even just the disc for this car.

Mitsubishiautopartsdirect.com doesn't sell clutch kits but the parts can be ordered individually. The typical parts for doing this job are the clutch disk, the pressure plate, and the release bearing. Total price is $344 plus another $25 for shipping.

I don't plan to replace or resurface the flywheel as long as it looks okay. More than likely I will just spray it with some carb cleaner and give it a nice cleaning with a Scotch Brite pad.

Has anyone else done this job or dealt with Mitsubishiautopartsdirect.com? I have never ordered from them and and am wondering if they are the best source for these parts since RockAuto doesn't have clutch parts.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    You might save a few bucks buying from MitsubishiPartsWarehouse.com. I don't know tax & shipping costs (I think both websites estimate shipping) so I'll let you figure that. MitsubishiPartsWarehouse should be closer to you.

2014 Mitsubishi Mirage DE Clutch & Flywheel components
    MitsubishiAutoPartsDirect.com: $344.35
    MitsubishiPartsWarehouse.com: $335.68

You might want to do a close visual inspection on your clutch cable as I recall at least one such failure here on the forum - the failure was at the transmission-end ferrule.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    You might save a few bucks buying from MitsubishiPartsWarehouse.com.
    Even the shipping charges are cheaper with them. Thanks a bunch.