Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1.2L Mirage clutch replacement cost (estimate)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ----------------------
    Admin note:
    We know of at least one U.S. based Mirage used in taxi service that has had a clutch replacement, and we're starting to see a few high-miles 6th gen. Mirages around, which prompted this clutch replacement discussion. This topic originally came up in our used Mirages thread.
    ----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Hopefully I never have to replace the clutch disc, although I would like to get at least 300k out of this car.
    I didn't find it posted anywhere. Alldata shows 6.8 hours to replace the disc, pressure plate and flywheel. Disc and plate show about $400 at Mitsu dealer. Maybe about $50 to resurface flywheel. Most dealers are at least a $100 per hour by me. I would say about $1200 to replace a clutch.

Last edited by MetroMPG; 05-25-2016 at 07:17 PM. Reason: (copied post from another thread)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to flatbroke For This Useful Post:

anog (05-25-2016)

Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flatbroke View Post
    I didn't find it posted anywhere. Alldata shows 6.8 hours to replace the disc, pressure plate and flywheel. Disc and plate show about $400 at Mitsu dealer. Maybe about $50 to resurface flywheel. Most dealers are at least a $100 per hour by me. I would say about $1200 to replace a clutch.
    6.8 hours for this small car, now imagine how long it would take to change on a crappy merc?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage Intense 1.2 manual: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.6 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by flatbroke View Post
    Most dealers are at least a $100 per hour by me. I would say about $1200 to replace a clutch.
    Bumping this thread.

Is this estimate realistic? I wonder if anybody here has driven their car enough to need a clutch yet.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

fc321 (07-27-2017)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Apparently I do.. I just had my clutch replaced while they were working on my transmission (3rd gear needed to be replaced). The transmission work was under warranty, but the clutch work was not. In the end, my bill was $525, but was estimated at $1,200 (USD) if the transmission was not already out of the car. They told me the disc was down to 20%, and the car has 37,000 miles on it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    I wonder if the hills of San Francisco had any impact on your clutch wear?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Excellent guess Eggman But I live in Los Angeles. I perhaps it was going over Mulholland drive every day for work. I really don't think I drive it that hard imo.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Merv View Post
    I just had my clutch replaced while they were working on my transmission (3rd gear needed to be replaced).
    I'd like to hear more about your transmission failure. This sounds like the first manual transmission problem anyone has reported.

They told me the disc was down to 20%, and the car has 37,000 miles on it.
    Hmmm...that would mean your original clutch was going to be toast before 50,000 miles?!? Unless you slip your clutch a ton, that seems way out of the ordinary for one of these cars.

...my bill was $525, but was estimated at $1,200 (USD) if the transmission was not already out of the car.
    They did the right thing. Any time your engine/transmission comes out, a new clutch should go in while everything is apart.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Merv View Post
    Excellent guess Eggman But I live in Los Angeles. I perhaps it was going over Mulholland drive every day for work. I really don't think I drive it that hard imo.
    Sorry, I misread your profile location to be San Francisco. My bad.

Out of curiosity did you get to see the old parts?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    @Top_Fuel
    The service manager asked if anyone other than me drives the car (no), and that he'd never seen this before. I realized there was a major problem when the transmission (5spd Manual) was in neutral, but the clutch was still engaging. So she had to be towed.

As far as clutch slippage, I really don't feel I drive it that way. This is my 9th car with a manual transmission, and the only other one that needed clutch replacement was over 150k miles. Anyway, I’m terrified of using my gears to slow down now. So I’m relying almost 100% on my brakes now to slow the vehicle. Wayyyy cheaper than replacing a clutch.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    @Eggman
    No worries. California's a big place

I didn't get to see the clutch.. And that thought crossed my mind after I’d signed the paperwork. I guess after a week of waiting, and being stuck in a rental, I was just over it.