Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My dealer says .39 rear toe is within spec

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This entire situation is so ridiculous on the part of the body shop. All it should have taken was a call from the body shop manager to the insurance adjuster telling him that the car could not be aligned after the accident and needed a new rear axle. The tech would have been given a pretty good paying job of replacing the axle. Totally dropped the ball on their end.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flatbroke View Post
    This entire situation is so ridiculous on the part of the body shop. All it should have taken was a call from the body shop manager to the insurance adjuster telling him that the car could not be aligned after the accident and needed a new rear axle. The tech would have been given a pretty good paying job of replacing the axle. Totally dropped the ball on their end.
    A couple days after I first left the car at the dealer I called and they told me the estimate was for $6,000. I said they might want to consider totaling it because the alignment is hard to fix. He said they could adjust it no problem.

Has anyone else noticed that no one at the dealerships knows the rear alignment is not adjustable? Whenever I talk to someone in the service department, it's always a big surprise that the alignment is non adjustable.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts
    I haven't discussed it with my dealer service department yet. I've had techs at repair shops that believe the axle can be aligned and can't understand that this rear axle is not adjustable.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    A couple days after I first left the car at the dealer I called and they told me the estimate was for $6,000. I said they might want to consider totaling it because the alignment is hard to fix. He said they could adjust it no problem.

Has anyone else noticed that no one at the dealerships knows the rear alignment is not adjustable? Whenever I talk to someone in the service department, it's always a big surprise that the alignment is non adjustable.
    Your dealer is also a Toyota dealer as well. I'm sure that is the focus of the majority of their efforts. Mitsu is probably the ugly redheaded stepchild for them.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ok here's what happened today. I called the Mitsubishi main number to try to get the official specs but they were pretty much worthless. They told me I could pay $20 and get them from mitsubishtechinfo.com. Then they said they would do some research and if it was possible to get the specs they would call me in 5 business days.

Then I called the Mitsubishi dealer I bought the car from (Long Lewis Mitsubishi in Florence, AL). They were very helpful and said I could bring the car in and get it checked and get the official printout. So I drove out there and got it rechecked. The rear toe was even a little worse, .43 instead of .39. And the specs were just like this forum shows (-.03 to +.28). So then I called my insurance adjuster and he said I need to call the dealer where the work was done and get them to fix it and add to the claim. Then I brought my car in to the dealer and showed him the printout from the other Mitsu dealer. He was very nice and didn't argue about it. He asked me if installing a new rear axle was what I wanted to hear and I said "Yes!". I asked him if I could wait until the part came in and was ready to install so I wouldn't have to pay for a rental and he said OK. Hopefully this will fix it. My main fear is that the new axle is off also.

Thanks for the info!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Madison320 For This Useful Post:

Donut (06-01-2016),Eggman (05-31-2016),wilbur (10-13-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts
    Much thanks for the update Madison320. Please keep us posted on the outcome.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Good news! They fixed it, they put in a new axle and the alignment looks good now. My rear toe readings are .20 and .17. Hopefully I'll get better tire wear now.

Thanks for the info!

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Madison320 For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (06-21-2016),Eggman (06-21-2016),inuvik (06-20-2016),MightyMirageMpg (06-20-2016),wilbur (10-13-2016)