Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Automatic Emergency Braking coming to Mirage

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    I think your view on this depends on if you ever had been rear-ended or not. And no I don't want it in my car, just the car behind (and one behind it too)
    When I was 23, I was rear-ended by a fully loaded tractor-trailer truck while waiting to make a right turn into a shopping center. There was a pedestrian crossing the entryway, and I was yielding to them. I have been rear-ended half a dozen other times as well, so I know what it is like.

It's not so much the safety features and technology in and of itself that I am opposed to; it's more the government mandates. I'd be perfectly okay with this stuff being optional, and wouldn't fault anyone for opting to pay extra for it. This kind of tech makes people LESS attentive as drivers. This is fine when they are in the new car with the electronic collision nanny. But what happens when that same person gets behind the wheel of an older car, not realizing this feature is absent, and fires up their Facebook page while going 40 in a school zone thinking that they are safe?

Government mandates make cars endlessly more complex, more expensive, and less reliable. If I wanted a car that was complex, expensive, and unreliable, I wouldn't be HERE.

Last edited by Cobrajet; 05-31-2016 at 04:55 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-31-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Those are all good points, Cobrajet. I'm not sure I agree with everything you are saying, but I can't deny the truth of it.

As far as mandates, It's the march of progress - learning from the lessons of the past. Do you think an open market would still support this innovation?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Those are all good points, Cobrajet. I'm not sure I agree with everything you are saying, but I can't deny the truth of it.

As far as mandates, It's the march of progress - learning from the lessons of the past. Do you think an open market would still support this innovation?
    The open market is where these innovations COME FROM. They aren't created in a government office building somewhere.

Every safety feature that the government has mandated started out as being an optional feature. From safety glass in the 1920s, hydraulic brakes in the 1930s, to seatbelts in the 1950s, to padded dashes in the 1960s, to airbags in the 1970s, to anti-lock brakes in the 1980s, to stability control in the 2000s, all the way down to radar-guided collision avoidance today....the market created them all.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    When I was 23, I was rear-ended by a fully loaded tractor-trailer truck while waiting to make a right turn into a shopping center. There was a pedestrian crossing the entryway, and I was yielding to them. I have been rear-ended half a dozen other times as well, so I know what it is like.

It's not so much the safety features and technology in and of itself that I am opposed to; it's more the government mandates. I'd be perfectly okay with this stuff being optional, and wouldn't fault anyone for opting to pay extra for it. This kind of tech makes people LESS attentive as drivers. This is fine when they are in the new car with the electronic collision nanny. But what happens when that same person gets behind the wheel of an older car, not realizing this feature is absent, and fires up their Facebook page while going 40 in a school zone thinking that they are safe?

Government mandates make cars endlessly more complex, more expensive, and less reliable. If I wanted a car that was complex, expensive, and unreliable, I wouldn't be HERE.
    I would agree with you, if all people on the road were good drivers.

In our state they stopped requiring parallel parking on driver test, and allow a california roll on stop sign. Why? too many people were failing and had to come back. This is in the state where driver ed is mandatory. And btw use of phone is illegal.

Unfortunately we live in society where everyone have to drive to get somewhere, and half of the people on the road would have been better off not being burdened by the privilege to drive.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    The open market is where these innovations COME FROM. They aren't created in a government office building somewhere.
    Of course - I'm not questioning that end of the transaction. I'm curious about adoption by consumers. Why pay extra for these features if they only drive up the cost of the vehicle?

Here is something I've been wondering. WHAT IF the Big Brother government stopped requiring all this stuff? Would the demand still be there?

I propose the demand *could* be driven by insurance companies - a private venture, rather than government. This could be addressed in different ways - it could be in the form of discounts to those who adopt good driving habits and equipment, and/or higher insurance premium prices for those who do not.

Just thinking out loud... well, not out loud per say as I'm not really talking to anyone here. ...

P.S.: Your avatar cracks me up every time. I wish I could Thank an avatar... Heh, hu-huh - a-huh...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I propose the demand *could* be driven by insurance companies - a private venture, rather than government. This could be addressed in different ways - it could be in the form of discounts to those who adopt good driving habits and equipment, and/or higher insurance premium prices for those who do not.
    I think to a degree this is already happening. The IIHS takes into account active safety features as part of their overall score and the first "I" in that acronym stands for "Insurance".

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Perhaps it is being taken into account in tests. I'm wondering how it will reflect in the cost of insurance to drivers? I'm sure it is already a factor but to what extent?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Perhaps it is being taken into account in tests. I'm wondering how it will reflect in the cost of insurance to drivers? I'm sure it is already a factor but to what extent?
    My guess is to a large extent. IIHS crash testing is yet another data series the actuaries can use to price risk. If that IIHS crash data wasn't useful in pricing risk, they wouldn't be doing it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    I would agree with you, if all people on the road were good drivers.

In our state they stopped requiring parallel parking on driver test, and allow a california roll on stop sign. Why? too many people were failing and had to come back. This is in the state where driver ed is mandatory. And btw use of phone is illegal.

Unfortunately we live in society where everyone have to drive to get somewhere, and half of the people on the road would have been better off not being burdened by the privilege to drive.
    When have all people on the road EVER been good drivers? Lousy drivers aren't something that only happened in the last few years.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think there's an assumption that it (automatic brake system) will cost a lot. It is not necessary true, all basic components of the system with exception of radar sensor are already in the car. On cars with adaptive cruise control everything is already in place, and on a few cars which can be bought without CC it is specifically disabled in software to push buyers to more expensive trims.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)