Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mitsubishi Mirage driving in snow (how does it handle?)

Agreed - that was no test. But it looked funny, so I posted it.

I've got four ice/snow tires on my smaller-than-a-Mirage Firefly/Metro (non-studded... illegal in southern Ontario). I've had no trouble at all this winter, and it's been much snowier & icier than usual this year.

I visitied friends' cottage over new years, and had to descend, then climb about 100 ft steep vertical elevation on a twisting, icy/snowy one lane access road. Descending was easy. Climbing out was fine as long as I kept momentum. (Stopping half way up without studs, and you'd have to back down and try again. )

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Phantasmagoria
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

My Mirage is great in snow

Quick update. We just went through another snow (about 6"). We tried to drive our Kia Soul, it would not roll. So we came back home and got my Mirage. I can now say after 3 major storms and 1500 miles that this car is great on snowy roads.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Yeah, this car is pretty mean in the snow. I'm surprised how easily I can skate around luxury SUVs in this thing. She only struggles for traction when starting from a stop, but stability is unparalled. Even my Yaris wasn't this good. (But my '85 Buick Century - now he was a BEAST!)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    While the Mirage does handle well in the snow, I've notice that I'm losing hub caps at a shocking rate due to the snow. I'm already onto my second 4-pack of replacement wheel covers.

The covers definitely are needed though. Over the weekend a bit of snow collected in the rim of one of my front wheels, although I didn't notice any problems at lower speeds, at around 60 MPH the whole car started to shake like one of those massage chairs due to the slight imbalance in one of the Mirage's tiny wheels.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yttrium View Post
    While the Mirage does handle well in the snow, I've notice that I'm losing hub caps at a shocking rate due to the snow. I'm already onto my second 4-pack of replacement wheel covers.

The covers definitely are needed though. Over the weekend a bit of snow collected in the rim of one of my front wheels, although I didn't notice any problems at lower speeds, at around 60 MPH the whole car started to shake like one of those massage chairs due to the slight imbalance in one of the Mirage's tiny wheels.
    Huh, maybe I should send you down some Canadian-spec wheel covers. Mine were packed with snow and hold on for dear life. :P

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorifuta View Post
    (But my '85 Buick Century - now he was a BEAST!)
    Is this a Buick in the Canadian Police Chase?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0id9fUYb95A

Incidentally, the police here are switching to an AWD Ford and have snow tires, and they also have a few snowmobiles, but for years they got around in Crown Victorias, which were rwd, and probably not as capable in snow as a car with more weight over the drive wheels.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ^ You would think they would have awd chargers to say on ford turbo issues

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoehead View Post
    ...for years they got around in Crown Victorias, which were rwd, and probably not as capable in snow as a car with more weight over the drive wheels.
    Police cars, at least here, carry TONS of stuff with them. Their trunks are usually pretty loaded up with gear. I'm sure they have enough weight on the rear wheels.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Mirage cuts through the stuff like a rally car!

Here in Illinois, we just got nailed with 8 inches of snow. Plows can't keep up with it. The Mirage cuts through the stuff like a rally car! Must be a combo of skinny tires and the sweet traction control, whatever it is, it's amazing! Fun too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 29.4 mpg (US) ... 12.5 km/L ... 8.0 L/100 km ... 35.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoehead View Post
    Is this a Buick in the Canadian Police Chase?
    That was a Chevrolet Caprice, or a Pontiac Parisienne, full-size B-body cars. Mine was a midsize A-body, like this one.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0l1RULGc_M

That heavy iron V6 really helped those narrow 185-width tires dig into the snow!