Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Mitsubishi Mirage driving in snow (how does it handle?)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wellswebdesign View Post
    I'll second what burghbeagle said, though I have more trouble with taking off than stopping (thankfully). I'm trying to decide if it's because it's a manual (my previous car was a Saturn automatic and I always put Goodyear.... crap, can't remember the model, but decent tired), or if it's the car/tires. It's not bad enough to scare me, at least not yet. Of course, we've had a very mild winter here. I've thought about winter tires, but they'd be used so rarely, I can't justify the cost.
    Do you still have oem enasaves?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes I do. Only 9k miles on my car, so the tread is great. Like you, there's (usually) not enough snow to justify winter tires, so I'm just dealing with it. It's not *bad*, just not as good as my last car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes I do. Only 9k miles on my car, so the tread is great. Like you, there's (usually) not enough snow to justify winter tires, so I'm just dealing with it. It's not *bad*, just not as good as my last car.
    The frustrating part of owning 14" wheels is the lack of choice in rubber. On a bright side General RT43 available in 185/60, and offer a good compromise between performance, efficiency and value.

When we switched out from Enasaves it was a big improvement in all areas except MPG.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    When we switched out from Enasaves it was a big improvement in all areas except MPG.
    How big of an MPG hit did you take with the General RT43s?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    How big of an MPG hit did you take with the General RT43s?
    Initially it was huge, but it may have due to increased A/C usage, tire break-in and my son kicking tires (I generally get 3-4MPG better than he). We are getting somewhere ~43 overall now, which isn't bad for winter. I'd say 2-3mpg give or take.

185/60 RT-43s are intended for slightly wider rim, so to mitigate unavoidable squirm you have to pump tires to 48/42psi. Then they grip and roll. After 7k wear is hardly detectable, so they will likely go well over 60k warranty period.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have a 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage. This is my first winter here in Syracuse NY with this car. I have the all season tires that came on the car. No Snows. I was a little Concerned about not having 4 wheel drive. My previous ride was a jeep wrangler. Which was a blessing being that in Syracuse we average 10 feet of snow each year.So far this winter we have received 25 inches of snow, I have a 5 speed Manual transmission. And this car is great in the Snow. I have no reservations driving this car in Snow now. The deep snow throws it around a little .But it handles very well. And honestly is more fun than the jeep wrangler.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SyracuseMPG For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-23-2017),Pryme (12-23-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SyracuseMPG View Post
    I have a 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage. This is my first winter here in Syracuse NY with this car. I have the all season tires that came on the car. No Snows. I was a little Concerned about not having 4 wheel drive. My previous ride was a jeep wrangler. Which was a blessing being that in Syracuse we average 10 feet of snow each year.So far this winter we have received 25 inches of snow, I have a 5 speed Manual transmission. And this car is great in the Snow. I have no reservations driving this car in Snow now. The deep snow throws it around a little .But it handles very well. And honestly is more fun than the jeep wrangler.
    Many of us came to this realization. It's great in winter! ��
    (blank signature)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    A note about my worst ever winter car. A 1971 Mustang, 429SCJ, 4spd, 3.91 locking diff, insane hp. 5" wide bias ply summer tires. I'm amazed that I didn't wrap it around trees a million times over, but learning to control that beast in the snow meant everything that followed was a breeze.

Now my Mirage. Hands down my all time favorite car to drive in the winter and in my top 3 all time for winter performance. When my top all time winter performance vehicle was my Polaris Indy 500 snowmobile you know the Mirage faces stiff competition!

I haven't found anything yet that the Mirage can't handle. I don't live in insane snow regions like some of you but I do drive the two worst sections of Ontario roads in the winter, the 400 north to Midland and the 401 from Toronto to London. Either of those can be white knuckle trips for 40-50kms.

Snow tires made all the difference. Back in the day I put snows on my '14 before winter hit. This year winter arrived before the snows went on my '17. The difference was amazing. I've only had to adjust my driving style marginally with winter tires in the snow.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    There was a narrow road on Snoqualmie Pass where the truck didn't coming the other way didn't want to move at all. My brother drove his truck over the deep snow so I followed. I was cutting through a one to two feet of snow without any problems. Of course the traction control light was popping up but I wasn't losing control at all.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    1 to 2 feet lol come on.