Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mitsubishi Mirage driving in snow (how does it handle?)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Question Mitsubishi Mirage driving in snow (how does it handle?)

Hello all, I live right on a massive body of water. We get killed every winter with lake effect snow. I was wondering about how well the wee little mirage handles in the snow, and if it can drive its way through deeper unplowed roads?

---

Admin edit - see also:

Thread: Winter Driving Review

Edit, Jan 2014... video from a Pennsylvania, USA Mitsu dealer:

Based on my small car history: with a set of 4 snow tires, it will be fine. It's also got decent ground clearance for a little car.

What's the smallest car you've driven where you live?

FYI, I wouldn't hesitate to drive my ~1850 lbs 1998 Pontiac Firefly / Geo Metro anywhere around here (eastern Ontario) in the winter.

Front wheel drive, good ground clearance, and narrow winter tires can do wonders.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

TXmirageGUY (12-14-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Edit, Jan 2014... video from a Pennsylvania, USA Mitsu dealer:

Based on my small car history: with a set of 4 snow tires, it will be fine. It's also got decent ground clearance for a little car.

What's the smallest car you've driven where you live?

FYI, I wouldn't hesitate to drive my ~1850 lbs 1998 Pontiac Firefly / Geo Metro anywhere around here (eastern Ontario) in the winter.

Front wheel drive, good ground clearance, and narrow winter tires can do wonders.
    HEY Interstate Mitsubishi, that's where I bought my Mirage!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ISP_guy For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-29-2017)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Given the light weight, fair clearance, front drive and traction control, I suspect it would handle as well as most cars. Of course something with awd, or better yet 4x4 and more clearance would be better. That said, I have driven a Ford Focus on winter roads, across frozen lakes, and through some absolutely huge drifts (right up over the hood, wheels left the ground) and don't get stuck much. Winter tires are a huge improvement. Of note, winter tires seem to be divided into those that are better in deep snow (aggressive treads), or better on clear ice (slicker, soft ribber with sipes - like a broomball shoe), so get the ones that suit your local conditions. Compared to a 2wd truck or van, I would much rather have a small front drive car. They are also much easier to un-stuck as I imagine 6 strong Michigan men could lift the Mirage off the ground (or 4 Ohio guys)!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canoehead For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-12-2019),TXmirageGUY (12-14-2017)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    do most use tire cables up there?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kalifornia View Post
    do most use tire cables up there?
    If that is what we call tire chains - no, not on cars. The big rigs use them, but most of the northerners on the ice roads just have a 4x4 truck (Ford, Chevy, Dodge) with the stock tires. Here in Winnipeg, tire chains are virtually non-existent - and snow tires are catching on, but still only about half the cars have them.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Canoehead For This Useful Post:

Gonggong (04-17-2015)

Also FYI, see this thread: Winter / snow tires for the 2014 Mirage

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Where I live we cant have chains or spikes on the tires. I have owned a couple awd eclipses, an all wheel drive 3000gt, a couple 4x4 trucks and now my Montero. Never have I had a wee little hatchback lol

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I grew up on the boarder of Wisconsin and the Upper Penninsula. First car was a Toyota Tercel which weighs almost the same as the Mirage. It handled winters up there like a champ. The only issues I had were handling ruts and thick slush which tends to throw the car around a little.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

The only time I've gotten in trouble in the winter with a little car (1st gen VW Rabbit/Golf, lighter than the Mirage) was due to high crosswinds, excessive speed and lack of snow tires (~60 km/h / 40 mph).

Driving in a blizzard down a snow covered road, I came out of a sheltered, wooded area into a clearing and -- WHOOPS! -- was shoved sideways by the wind, right side wheels caught heavy snow and pulled into the ditch. I also didn't have snows on, so a lot of that was my fault. Oh, and I was also probably driving too fast for the conditions. (Hindsight is 20/20)

No damage, and a farmer pulled me out with his tractor and I went on my way. More slowly.