Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Recommended Oil change intervals

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    If you really want to find out what is going on, do an Oil Change & drive it for ... say 5000 miles & take a sample & have it analyzed... If it comes back OK, drive it for ...oh, maybe 2000 more & repeat. This will give you a really good idea of what is happening in the engine & with the oil & you can tailor oil changes to your exact driving habits...For test kits, https://www.blackstone-labs.com/test...dard-analysis/ or stop by your local Heavy Duty Transport Truck Repair garage & ask for one from them... It can be very interesting... & post the results here so we can see. Mohammad did this with his Transmission & was able to determine it had a service before he bought the car (I Think,,,)

Last edited by klroger; 08-10-2022 at 01:35 AM.
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

Fummins (08-10-2022)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    Mohammad did this with his Transmission & was able to determine it had a service before he bought the car (I Think,,,)
    Well...supposedly, CarMax is supposed to do that with all their cars before they sell them if they're to be believed.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    Mohammad did this with his Transmission & was able to determine it had a service before he bought the car (I Think,,,)
    That is correct, The report visible at 18:36 in my youtube video linked here: https://youtu.be/erlbDUi48Jk?t=1116 states that the fluid was probably changed at least once by a previous owner. I also didn't have a transmission pan gasket installed on the car. So either the car didnt come with a pan gasket or the previous person that changed the fluid didnt want/didnt bother re-installing it.

I believe if you do the oil analysis and ask them, they will give you an estimate of how long they think it would have been safe to run that oil for. So you could maybe obtain the number you are interested in (km between oil change) from a single lab analysis.

please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos