Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel Efficient 15-Inch Wheels and Tires

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Fuel Efficient 15-Inch Wheels and Tires

I'm running a 15-inch wheel/tire combination worth considering if you want to improve your Mirage’s appearance without sacrificing fuel economy. I've logged more than 30,000 miles on this setup and it appears to be as efficient as the OEM 14" wheels/tires.

Keep in mind this isn't the biggest set of wheels/tires you can squeeze under a Mirage, but it does represent a more aggressive looking and fuel-efficient alternative to the Mirage's undersized OEM wheels/tires.

NOTE: Don't even think about changing your wheels and tires until you have had a 4-wheel alignment check done. If your Mirage has a rear wheel alignment problem, you want to have this corrected while you still have the OEM wheels/tires on the car to keep the warranty process simple. Some dealers may try to blame aftermarket wheels and non-OEM size tires for your rear alignment issues. That's a load of BS...but why take a chance? Get an alignment check done FIRST.

Wheel/Tire Combination

Wheels....15 x 6.5 Konig Helium
    Tires.......185-55-15 Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 Plus

FAQ:

Why did you choose these particular wheels/tires?

This was the lightest 15" wheel I could find with the right width, offset and reasonable price. The tires are among the most efficient (and longest-lasting) Low Rolling Resistance tires available. With fuel efficiency as a primary goal, this combination looked great on paper.

Read more details about how/why I selected these wheels/tires in the thread below:

Choosing Fuel Efficient 15-Inch Wheels and Tires

How much does this combination weigh compared to OEM wheels/tires?

Name:  Wheel_Weights.jpg
Views: 1136
Size:  29.6 KB

How do these fit on the car compared to the stock wheels?

In my opinion, the fitment of these wheels can’t get much better on a Mirage. They sit out 1.25 inches closer to the edge of the wheel opening (compared to stock wheels), filling up the wheel well nicely. But they don’t stick out too far which might interrupt the aerodynamics of the car or cause rubbing issues. If anyone at Mitsubishi is paying attention, this is how OEM wheels should fit on these cars!

The diagrams below help illustrate the before/after fitment.

This first diagram is from the website wheel-size.com. This gives you a rough idea of how these wider wheels eliminate the huge amount of fender clearance that the tiny stock wheels have...

The next diagram is from the website willtheyfit.com. They have a cool graphical tool that lets you see 2 wheel/tire combinations on the car at one time. Here’s what it looks like when you compare my setup to the stock 14" wheels/tires…

Here are a few photos so you can see that the wheels do not stick out beyond the fenders...

Do these tires rub anywhere?

These tires do not rub anything under any conditions (with stock springs). The front wheels can be turned lock-to-lock without any concern. This may be the widest wheel/tire you can run without experiencing any clearance issues.

What air pressure are you running in the tires?

I keep the tires at 50psi. The maximum rating on the sidewall is 51psi. After 30,000 miles and 6 tire rotations, the tires are showing absolutely no signs of over-inflation wear.

How has this wheel/tire affected your fuel economy?

I’ve averaged 51+ mpg for more than 30,000 miles on these wheels/tires. I only had the OEM wheels/tires on my car for 700 miles when it was new…so I don’t have any meaningful “before” mileage values to compare. But this wheel/tire combination has proven to be very efficient for the type of driving I’m doing (60% highway/40% city). I don't consider myself a hardcore hyper-miler. I just drive easy, minimize the AC usage, anticipate red lights and almost never exceed 60mph/3000 RPMs on the freeway. I don't do engine-off coasting or anything like that.

I may be getting the best fuel economy of any Mirage equipped with aftermarket wheels and tires.

What makes this an efficient wheel/tire combination?

Consider the following…

• This wheel/tire only weighs 1 pound more than a 14” factory alloy wheel and 165 Enasave
    • The contact patch of a 185 Ecopia is identical to a 165 Enasave (details in this thread)
    • The Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 Plus incorporates the latest advances in LRR tire technology

Do 185-55-15 tires affect the speedometer accuracy?

Yes...the speedometer will read 2.5% slower than your actual speed.
    185-55-15's are half an inch taller than 165-65-14's (a 2.5% difference from stock).
    When the speedometer reads 60mph, you are actually going 61.5 mph.
    When my ScanGauge indicates 60mph, my Garmin GPS shows 61 mph.

TIP: Compare speedometer readings with different tires using this Speedometer Calibration Calculator

Do you have to adjust your mileage formula for these tires?

Yes…but it’s only a slight adjustment. With the slightly taller tires, the car is actually traveling a little bit further than the odometer indicates. When I read the number of miles I have driven for a tank of gas, I just add 2.5% to that number. If the odometer says I went 400 miles, the car really traveled 410 miles.

Does the car handle better with these wheels/tires?

These tires have the same contact patch as a 165-65-14 Enasave. Any handling improvement would mainly be due to the slightly wider stance of the new wheels and the different rubber compound and tread design of the tires (Ecopia tires are supposed to have improved wet/dry traction). To be honest, I drive like an old lady in this car…so I wouldn’t notice if these tires did provide a handling improvement. But others who have switched to a similar combination did report an improvement in handling.

Ecopia EP422 Plus tires are supposed to last 70,000 miles. Is that realistic?

They might last much longer than that the way I drive! I had a set of previous generation Ecopia tires on my G5 XFE. Those tires had a treadwear rating of 480 and had no problem making it to 70K miles. These newest Ecopias now have a treadwear rating of 640...or 33% higher than my older Ecopias.

UPDATE: These tires had 11/32" of tread when new. After 30,000 miles (and 6 tire rotations), they were all between 8/32 - 9/32". At this rate, I expect to get 100,000 miles out of them!

TIP: One way to reduce the cost of a new tire is by making it with LESS rubber. Tread depth is often overlooked when people are shopping for new tires. Did you know that OEM Enasaves only have 9/32" of tread when new?!? I put almost 30,000 miles on these Ecopias before they were worn down to the tread depth of a brand new Enasave.

Where did you buy these wheels/tires and how much did they cost?

Konig wheels are available from multiple online sources. But when you factor in the cost to ship/mount/balance wheels and tires, be sure to price them locally. Discount Tire is a national chain that sells Konig wheels, and they periodically run aggressive wheel and tire rebates...so that's where I ended up.

Discount Tire periodically runs a wheel promotion where you get a $100 Visa card for purchasing 4 wheels installed (installed means you pay for tire mounting/balancing when you buy the wheels). The $100 Visa card basically negates everything involved with the tire installation and all of the sales tax. This is a great deal because Discount Tire’s price on these wheels was only $4 more per wheel than Amazon!

The tires were also purchased during a promotion, where you received a $70 Visa card for buying 4 Bridgestones (this is now up to a $100 Visa card). Since the wheel purchase included tire installation, I only had to pay for the tires and sales tax. With the discount, these tires were actually cheaper than new Enasaves.

Discount Tire Cost

WHEELS (including required hardware)
    15 x 6.5 Konig Helium Wheels (4 @ $89/each)..$356
    Wheel Installation Kit (special lug nuts)....$ 15
    TPMS Valve Stems.............................$ 32
    Sales Tax....................................$ 33

TIRES
    185-55-15 Bridgestone Ecopia (4 @ $100/ea)...$400
    Sales Tax....................................$ 30

INSTALLATION
    Mount & Balance 4 tires......................$ 50

REBATES
    Prepaid Visa card with 4 new wheels.........-$100
    Prepaid Visa card with 4 new tires..........-$ 70

Total After Rebates..........................$746 **

I could have saved an additional $120 if I opened a Discount Tire credit card.

NOTE...
    I sold my original wheels/tires for $450...so my actual cost for this upgrade was only $296!

Why would I want 15" wheels?

1. Big visual impact

Larger wheels (with the right offset) and tires will give your car a huge visual boost…especially on a Mirage where the OEM wheels/tires are small and the wheel offset too positive (the wheels look like they are pushed in too far under the car).

2. More/better/less expensive tire choices

165-65-14 is a very unusual size tire only used on the Mirage (in the US). If/when you need new tires, there are almost no choices available. If you consider an alternate 14” size (175-70-14), you may have a few more options. A more common 15” size (185-55-15) will give you a much greater selection of all types of tires...often priced lower than comparable 14" tires. To illustrate this point, here are the number of tires available at the Tire Rack in each size…

165-65-14 ........ 3
    175-70-14 ........ 7
    185-55-15 ........ 25

3. No down time if you need a new tire now

How many times has someone needed a single Enasave...just to find out that nobody stocks 165-65-14 tires? If you are on the road or in a jam and need a new tire NOW, you may be waiting days until a shop can order in a replacement. Or, you end up purchasing an entire set of 4 tires of an alternate size just to get going. Imagine a tire store that actually sells/stocks the tires on your car!

The real question you should be asking is this: Why would I want to keep my 14" wheels?

Do you really need new lugnuts for these wheels?

Yes. The factory lugnuts are too short/fat and won’t work. Just buy a Gorilla Wheel Installation Kit 21133HT (pictured below) which includes 20 high quality, small diameter, splined chrome lugnuts (12mm x 1.5) and the special socket for installing them. These kits are available on Amazon for $25. Discount Tire only charged $15 for the same thing.

They charged you $32 for valve stems? Isn't that a rip-off?

These valve stems are unique to the type of clip-on TPMS sensors used in the Mirage. They are not a typical rubber valve stem...even though they look like it from the outside. The end that goes inside the wheel has a special notch on the end of it (see image below). This is where the TPMS sensor clips on. Unlike some TPMS valve stems, you CANNOT remove these from your current wheels and reuse them. The only way to remove them from a wheel is to cut them out. $8 per valve stem may seem outrageous, but these cost more than $6/each even if you buy them from NAPA. Here's a picture of one...

Name:  valvestem.jpg
Views: 1916
Size:  64.9 KB

What size hubcentric rings do I need with these wheels?

Mirage wheel center bore : 56.1mm (56.1 is the official size. The exact size I measured is 55.85mm)
    Helium wheel center bore : 73.1mm

You will need hub rings with a 73mm outer diameter and 56.1 inner diameter (73/56.1). This is a common size hub ring you can find on eBay for $15. I prefer aluminum rings over plastic, but either will work. Hub rings are not absolutely required, but they are inexpensive and make installing the wheels much easier. They are well worth $15!

Name:  Hub Ring 73-561.jpg
Views: 1980
Size:  36.1 KB

Note: Do not buy hub rings with a 73.1mm outer diameter, because they won’t fit into the Konig wheel bores without forcing them into place. Hub rings should fit into the wheel bore snugly…but you shouldn’t have to hammer them into place.

Where did you get Mitsubishi center caps for these wheels?

Konig Helium wheels come with blank center caps and flat, adhesive-backed “Konig” emblems that you install in the caps. Instead of using the Konig emblems, I found some Mitsubishi wheel cap centers (49mm) on eBay for $20. They fit perfectly in the Konig center caps. The black Mitsubishi emblem on a silver background looks great with the silver Heliums and gives the wheels an OEM look.

Here’s what I used…

Will the factory TPMS sensors work with these wheels?

Yes. My original TPMS sensors were installed in these wheels and they work fine. As long as the same 4 sensors are going back on the car, the TPMS light should not come on and nothing will need to be reprogrammed.

If you end up installing new TPMS sensors when you get new wheels/tires, the sensors will need to be registered with the car’s computer. Be aware that 99% of tire/repair shops out there will not be able to do this for you because Mitsubishi uses a proprietary TPMS computer. This programming is a dealer-only service which, in most cases, costs upwards of $100.

If you need new TPMS sensors, I highly recommend cloning the ID's of your existing sensors and having those ID's written onto another set of programmable TPMS sensors. If you do this, no further TPMS programming will be required (saving you a $100 trip to the Mitsubishi dealer).

Are these wheels available in any colors besides silver?

Yes. Konig Helium wheels are available in silver, black or bronze.

I heard these wheels crack easily. What’s the deal?

Heliums are made using inexpensive casting methods. The result is a low-cost, lightweight, street-duty wheel.

Some have pushed the limits of Heliums by running them with sticky tires in track events, exposing them to loads they weren’t designed for. A few people cracked a wheel spoke doing this. Search the web for “cracked Konig Helium” and you’ll find some older threads on this topic. Konig doesn’t warrant these for off-road use because they are street-duty wheels, not forged race wheels.

Heliums have been sold for 10+ years and there are likely 100,000+ of them in use right now, but there aren’t any accounts I can find of one cracking under street use. That doesn’t mean they’re bullet-proof. Understand that an 11 pound cast aluminum wheel isn’t as strong as a steel or heavy cast wheel. If you hit a huge pothole, curb, etc. with a Helium, you should treat it like any other wheel and examine it for signs of damage.

If you are generally hard on wheels (you’re prone to nailing huge potholes) then consider a wheel that can tolerate more abuse.

Bottom Line: When used on the street, these wheels have proven to be reliable and are perfectly acceptable for 99% of us. Don’t take my word for it. Do your own research and decide for yourself.

Is there anything else I need to know before considering these wheels?

These wheels will expose your brakes for the world to see! The good thing is you can check your brake pads now just by looking through the spokes. The bad thing is that now everyone can see your crusty rotors. So you may want to consider cleaning up your rotors and hitting them with some paint. Same thing with your brake drums. The factory paint on brake components is really thin. So even if your drums/rotors look good now, take some time to put a layer of good high-temp paint on them. I painted everything and even did the calipers with G2 silver caliper paint. This is relatively easy when everything is new and clean.

Last edited by Top_Fuel; 11-02-2017 at 06:14 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 51.5 mpg (US) ... 21.9 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 61.8 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

01-7700 (11-25-2017),arz (06-24-2016),Car Nut (06-07-2016),Cobrajet (06-07-2016),ComputerAbuser (06-17-2016),Daox (06-06-2016),Donut (06-06-2016),Eggman (06-06-2016),emdeplam (06-24-2016),fc321 (07-27-2017),HitShane (06-23-2016),IchabodCrane (06-06-2016),Inudalek (06-06-2016),ioriknight (10-29-2016),Marklovski (06-06-2016),MetroMPG (06-06-2016),mitsumi (06-13-2016),Remy (09-29-2016),roscoe1972 (06-06-2016),spork (10-09-2016),Teasmade (06-06-2016),Wayne (03-19-2017),wellswebdesign (06-06-2016)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Wow.
    That's a lot of info. Very well done.
    I will use your recommendations regarding tires if I can find them here. For my tastes though I prefer a 12 spoke rim. Did you consider any options in 12 spoke?
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    ...Did you consider any options in 12 spoke?
    I didn't go searching for any particular wheel style. I mainly went looking for the lightest 15 inch wheels I could find, and then went from there. These were the best "bang for the buck" I could find. At barely over 11 pounds each, that pretty much eliminated everything else for me. I originally came across these at this website.

8 spokes is enough for me. I wouldn't want to have to detail any more than that every time I wash my car!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 51.5 mpg (US) ... 21.9 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 61.8 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

HitShane (06-23-2016)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to IchabodCrane For This Useful Post:

Inudalek (06-06-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wow, that was a remarkably well written post and addressed almost all questions I'd have about a wheel upgrade. I see so many cars with ridiculous looking plus sized tires. People dont seem to get that bigger doesn't always equal better. If the wheels and tires are too heavy, it makes the car feel clumsy and ruins the ride. But the mirage tires are sooo small, they do look kind of pathetic. Your setup looks great and not too big.

And a plug for Discount Tire - I bought 4 snow tires from them. The price was as cheap or cheaper than tire rack and the service was great.

A question or two . . . do the larger diameter tires affect the turning radius? One of the aspects I really like about the Mirage is the tight turning radius. I know the thread states that the tires don't rub. Have you confirmed that this is the case with the steering cranked to full lock (tightest turn)?

Country
    UK
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    The best post regarding aftermarket wheels and their selection that I've ever read on any form! Thank you for taking the time to put it together!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 3 CVT 1.2 automatic: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    The car looks great with those . Like the front of the '14 + '15 better than the '17 . Never been a big fan of the chrome trim thing , cheesy . Excellent write-up ! Maybe you should consider a novel of your travels and experiences with your car . Title , MIRAGE and ME . Thanks

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Great post Top Fuel, thanks!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 49.0 mpg (US) ... 20.8 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 58.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranny View Post
    ...If the wheels and tires are too heavy, it makes the car feel clumsy and ruins the ride.
    I agree. When you're starting with a stock wheel/tire that only weighs 26 pounds, you have to be careful or you may end up with a combination that's easily in the low/mid 30 pound range. These smaller, lighter cars are going to be more sensitive to heavier wheels/tires. If you look at Tire rack, I don't think you will find a 15" wheel anywhere near 11 pounds.

But the mirage tires are sooo small, they do look kind of pathetic.
    I was motivated to do this by looking at cars sitting in parking lots. Mainly Sparks, Aveos and Mazda-2s. I just felt that these cars didn't look funny on stock wheels, so maybe my car doesn't have to, either.

...do the larger diameter tires affect the turning radius?
    I don't think so...but I will double-check. I've already had the car in a "lock-to-lock" turning situation and didn't hear anything funny. I've looked up in the front fenderwells and don't see any "clean" spots on the fenderwell linings to indicate that anything is rubbing.

edit - Check THIS thread. This forum member is running the same wheels and same size tires...and he also reported no rubbing issues lock-to-lock.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 06-10-2016 at 02:56 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I appreciate the positive feedback, guys.

I burned up a LOT of time comparing different combinations and I don't want anyone else to waste as much of their life as I did just to consider new wheels. Looking at wheel pictures on the web is fine, but without a lot of info behind the pictures, they really weren't helping me make an informed decision.

Hopefully this will help someone down the road when their Enasaves wear out. A wheel upgrade just might be worth considering.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Eggman (06-07-2016),HitShane (06-23-2016)