Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel Efficient 15-Inch Wheels and Tires

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'll see what the MPG hit is. I'm not a hypermiler, my main concern is wear on the suspension. I'll try these out for a while then in the next year or two spring for lighter snow tires.

They are perfectly balanced and give a secure planted ride. Definitely makes the car feel bigger.

Last year driving through snow drifts on country roads, I thought I was headed for the ditch. I'm confident these will do the trick.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by roscoe1972 View Post
    I'll see what the MPG hit is. I'm not a hypermiler, my main concern is wear on the suspension. I'll try these out for a while then in the next year or two spring for lighter snow tires..
    Ide much rather arrive safe than save 3 cents/trip as well.

Did you paint your keyhole? Mine isn't body color. Mitsu surely did a lot of tiny miss matchings with these cars.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    Did you paint your keyhole? Mine isn't body color. Mitsu surely did a lot of tiny miss matchings with these cars.
    No it came that way on my ES manual.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Check THIS thread. This forum member is running the same wheels and same size tires...and he also reported no rubbing issues lock-to-lock.
    While they all look great, I like the looks of your silver-colored rims better. Maybe body color has something to do with it.

Last edited by Eggman; 12-02-2017 at 11:13 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Ok, so the takeaway from this is that the tires are far more important than the wheels, but the wheels certainly need consideration.

Amazon canada has the konig bronze for $145/wheel, and the silver for $450/wheel!!!!!! Needless to say I won't be considering Amazon for my wheels. I'll google around when I get some time to see who distributes konig wheels in Ontario. I've set my upper price margin for wheels at $100/wheel.

Bridgestone Ecopia will be at least $105/tire up here, finding the 185/55r15 is not easy, everyone stocks the 175/xxrxx and the 185/60r15. I'll have to dig deeper.

Add lug nuts, probably about $30? maybe $40 for nice locking ones and this is becoming a $900 project. If I find the Konig for $100/each. Still, your cost was about $800 IIRC but you had the TPMS additional costs which I don't have.

I have a line on nice looking alloys from Australia that fit my budget, if they weigh out properly I can afford the Ecopias and have one smart looking Shelby. Now if I can just find room in the engine bay to drop in a 428 super cobra jet I'm set. LOL

Oh, and many thanks for such a well researched and presented topic. Finding it came at the perfect time for me.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Amazon canada has the konig bronze for $145/wheel, and the silver for $450/wheel!!!!!! Needless to say I won't be considering Amazon for my wheels. I'll google around when I get some time to see who distributes konig wheels in Ontario. I've set my upper price margin for wheels at $100/wheel.
    Yes, keep looking. Amazon does not always set prices. If they are the seller, then yes they set the price. Vendors on Amazon can ask a high price - doesn't always mean they'll get it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    ...the tires are far more important than the wheels, but the wheels certainly need consideration.
    That pretty much sums it up.

Here's a basic rundown of how you could duplicate my setup for around $500 (before excessive Canadian taxes ) from Discount Tire Direct.

Tip:
    When shopping at discounttiredirect.com, tell the website you have a 2015 Chevy Spark to see 185-55-15 tires and the right 15" wheels.

Bridgestone Ecopias.....$406 ($101.50/each)
    Konig Helium Wheels.....$396 ($99/each)
    Lugnut Kit..............$30 (Amazon.com price...Discount Tire may be cheaper)
    Valve Stems.............$3 (These are normal valve stems)
    Mount/Balance 4 tires...FREE
    Shipping................FREE

Total...................$835
    Max out Rebates........-$320

Total Cost..............$515

That's a pretty respectable deal for a set of new 15" wheels with top quality tires that will show up to your doorstep ready to bolt on.

There are cheaper ways to put tires on a Mirage in the short term. But factoring in the expected tread life of these tires and no hit to your fuel economy, and these tires may be cheaper to own over time than many less expensive 14" tires. Not to mention that your car will look COMPLETELY different with the right wheels/tires.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-03-2018),TXmirageGUY (12-14-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Has this been tried with the 2017 mirage?

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Yes, keep looking. Amazon does not always set prices. If they are the seller, then yes they set the price. Vendors on Amazon can ask a high price - doesn't always mean they'll get it.
    Yup, definitely the vendor. Might have something to do with import tariffs too.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auris View Post
    Has this been tried with the 2017 mirage?
    I can't think of any reason why this setup wouldn't work on a 2017. The brakes and springs/struts/shocks were updated for 2017, but these shouldn't impact the fitment of the wheels/tires.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)