Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bump starting after engine off coasting

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    NC (neutral coast) is much more efficient than DFCO. Thats what I learn from the UG. Unless U need to slow donw, then DFCO is better.

EOC (engine off coastin) is far better of course since u no longer burn 0.6l/hr of fuel while coasting with the a/c off.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage (Malaysia) GS 1.2 automatic: 44.6 mpg (US) ... 19.0 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Polkiuj For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-28-2013)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    got ya, my driving is stop light to stop light, so I'll have to use a gauge to see which is better. Im a lazy driver too

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    stupid question: does this apply to push start mirages?

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    OMG, this car's using very little fuel already. You want less and helps the environtment? Get a bike! It's also better for your body for getting an excercise and prolong your life ...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

I don't know how this would work with the start/stop button / proximity key.

For one thing, can you even kill the engine while the car is in motion with the button? Will it cause the steering wheel to lock? Does it also kill the gauges?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Kills gauges. Probably will cause wheel to lock. However, my brief time in with the manual, I vaguely remember somehow being able to go to ACC an ON. Just can't remember how.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Yup it will do both, as well as disabling power steering and brakes. Which in any case extremely dangerous and irresponsible to do so.
    The safer way to try to save fuel is by gas control, closing the wheels or closing the air intake holes at the front.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by m4v3r1ck View Post
    as well as disabling brakes.
    That's a myth! If the engine stops, you still have around two full power assisted braking applications in reserve. It's a safety feature built in to every car since forever. And if you deplete the reserve, restart the engine for more, or just press harder on the pedal ... the brakes are still there, they just require more pedal effort.

Also, the Mirage is so light, not having power assist for steering isn't a safety issue for the average driver (who has any arm muscles). My current car is nearly the same weight as the Mirage, has manual steering from the factory. Not a safety issue.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    That's a myth! If the engine stops, you still have around two full power assisted braking applications in reserve. It's a safety feature built in to every car since forever.
    In that case I must get my Galant checked, done this before and I have to hit the brake very hard to get the car to stop, in the end I used my handbrake to complete stop my car. Also mine's the only 8G galant that don't have ABS .... I've checked with other galant owners in NL.

It might be possible that it's US or canada regulatory, it's definitely not a "since forever" built safety feature. My dad's car a daihatsu taft 1982 also don't brake AT ALL when the engine's off. The hydraulic pump quit working immediately.