Thread: Uber / Lyft i-MiEV in Chicago

Uber / Lyft i-MiEV in Chicago

I live in Chicago, a dense city with many EVSEs available throughout the Chicagoland area. I've been considering working for Uber/Lyft using my i-MiEV and charging up at the local free EVSEs as much as possible with paids spots as last resorts. I drive a 2012 SE Premium with DCFC, owned 1 year and 10,600 miles on the odometer.

Has anyone considered this or done Uber/Lyft with their i-MiEV? Good idea, bad idea, thoughts, can it be done, should it be done?

Here's a PlugShare screenshot of EVSEs in just Chicago:

Here's a PlugShare screenshot of all paid and free CHADEMO DCFC EVSEs in the Chicagoland area:

Here's a PlugShare screenshot of all paid and free EVSEs in the Chicagoland area:

2. The Following User Says Thank You to davidricardo86 For This Useful Post:

inuvik (05-09-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 1,118 Posts
    I say go for it and see how it works out. It will be interesting to see if you can charge enough to keep running for an 8 hr + shift. I would think that aggressive charging as much as possible would be your best bet. Even if it's only for 5 minutes. Even though I don't have a EV yet I do have a Chargepoint account and you can do unlimited charging for like $20 a month. I think using a CHAdeMO site would be imperative to maximize every minute of charge time. Even if you had to drive a couple more minutes to it because the rate of charge is so much higher.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Do you have a Chademo on yours? If not it could be tough.

The best strategy would be to use free stations as a base while waiting for call.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Subscribed for updates. Interesting to consider one of the shortest range EV's for car service.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If you stay in the city and learn your charging stations and patterns it could be okay, you never know where you might go though. My trips average 2-10 miles but I do get 20-50 mile trip normally once a day.

2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)