Thread: I want to buy a Mirage but I'm seriously worried about Mitsubishi. Thoughts?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

I want to buy a Mirage but I'm seriously worried about Mitsubishi. Thoughts?

Hey all.
    I just had a nightmare of an experience with a Hyundai Santa Fe that I purchased used and was an utter piece of junk. I'm out $6 grand on the car and repairs. My rental car has been a 2015 Mirage and I've fallen in love with the little guy. I am blown away by the low cost of the vehicle and the crazy gas efficiency. I found one at the local Mitsubishi Dealership in red and I was just about to buy until I started looking into the health of the company.

My question is what do you all think about the future health of Mitsubishi? Is the merger with Nissan a good thing, or are they just going to shake Mitsubishi for all it's worth and leave a broken company that will no longer exist in America? I want to buy a Mirage because they seem so reliable and I need a car now with a warranty after all the drama I've been through with my latest vehicle. I just hope that if I purchase this car, there will still be a Mitsubishi to support my warranty!

Thanks for your input!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Hey crazy- I can't attest to Nissan's intentions (though I do think they'll keep mitsu around for a variety of reasons) but I can say that I've driven the snot out of my Mirage in the last 2 years with zero issues.

Since Jan 2014 I've put 66K miles on my Mirage and averaged 5.3L/100km. Maintenance has been limited to oil changes, air filters, and flat tires.

Look at it this way- even if Mitsu isn't super healthy, their product is. Just the fact that they're willing to OFFER the warranty they do means they build a good product.
    Last edited by Tyrelirwin; 06-11-2016 at 08:38 PM. Reason: s[pelling

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tyrelirwin For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (06-11-2016),CrazyGideon (06-11-2016),Eggman (06-11-2016),inuvik (06-11-2016),Mikhail (06-13-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, I just drove my rental Mirage up into the mountains and it had no problems whatsoever. I think it actually handles curves quite well, it was a windy day but I didn't feel as buffeted around as I do in an SUV, and I was passing cars left and right even with just 75hp. The more I drive it, the more I like what it is about. Also, the love this car gets from consumers is quite a testament to the vehicle. I think I'm just going to have to head back to the Mitsu dealer and buy that little red 2015!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    I wouldn't worry too much about this. Mitsu and Nissan have been partners for years, and Mitsu actually CREATED the stock Nissan bought specifically so Nissan could buy it. I don't think this has the makings of a 'hostile' takeover.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

CrazyGideon (06-11-2016),Tyrelirwin (06-12-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrelirwin View Post
    Look at it this way- even if Mitsu isn't super healthy, their product is. Just the fact that they're willing to OFFER the warranty they do means they build a good product.
    Well said.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I ended up buying the car! Thanks for all your input. I'll post pictures soon!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CrazyGideon For This Useful Post:

HitShane (06-15-2016),inuvik (06-14-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Congrats on the purchase! We will be waiting for the pics.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,566 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Congratulations and welcome to the forum!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)