Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Debating a wheel purchase

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Debating a wheel purchase

So, I've been eyeballing the Konig Heliums after reading the other thread on here, and Amazon has ones in Bronze available at a good price with free shipping. I've also checked out some tire options, and debating between the Dunlop Direzza DZ102 and the BF Goodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2.

But, I've already got my VX wheels, and the RT43s on there still have 6/32" of tread left, and the OEM alloys have near-new Altimax Arctics on them, so I don't actually need new tires yet.

The main thing I'm trying to figure out is which set to sell. If I sell off the OEM alloys, then I'll have to either sacrifice a set of wheels if an accident should happen, or rush to buy another set of steelies for $100 to throw away like I did last year. Really don't want to sell the VX wheels, since I went through a lot of trouble getting those, and I've had them for about 5 years now. I'm thinking of getting a set of Arctics onto the VX wheels for winter and run the Konigs for the summer.

So ideally, I wouldn't even be ready for new tires until next year, when the VX tires wear out. I'm hoping those Heliums won't end up discontinued or no longer available in bronze by the time I'm ready to put some rubber on them if I wait to buy.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Offers for a set of metallic gold painted OE 14" alloys with near-new 175/65/14 General Altimax Arctics?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Konig Heliums have been around for 10 years (maybe longer?) I don't think you need to worry about them disappearing anytime soon...even in bronze.

I know the Amazon purchase sounds appealing, but you may want to hold out until Discount Tire is running one of their "$100 off 4 new wheels" promotions. Discount Tire's price on Heliums is only $89 per wheel.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    They have Heliums listed for $99 each at the moment: http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...il.do?pc=77244

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Cani, I've been trying to send you a pm for the mat but you're inbox is full.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Didn't know it was full, fixed now.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cani Lupine View Post
    They have Heliums listed for $99 each at the moment...
    Interesting...they were $89/each when I bought mine back in April.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Don't do it. Google "konig helium broke" and you'll see why they're so cheap for the weight.

They're cool looking and really light but having seen so many people complain about fractures and complete failuree, it isn't worth the risk.

Unlesd unintentionally laying frame at speed is something your intoo ide keep the VX wheels!
    Last edited by MightyMirageMpg; 06-12-2016 at 03:56 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    Don't do it. Google "konig helium broke" and you'll see why they're so cheap for the weight.

They're cool looking and really light but having seen so many people complain about fractures and complete failuree, it isn't worth the risk.

Unlesd unintentionally laying frame at speed is something your intoo ide keep the VX wheels!
    "We actually keep stats on breakage and you may be surprised to learn that there is NO correlation between price and breakage rates. In fact, the highest damage rate we have is on the highest price rim we have...the SSR Comps. Again, the Heliums are the least expensive rim we sell and has almost the lowest breakage rate. Want to know our lowest breakage rate weight rim? Enkei RP-F1."

And when you actually click on the links on the 3 forums, vendor and racing reps chime in.

Thousands of these sets of wheels have sold. A handful of Honda and Mazda boys had issues. In 2006.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 51.2 mpg (US) ... 21.8 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 61.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If I didn't already have a set of alloys with the same snow tires I would have traded my civic hybrids + cash ��
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticMirage View Post
    "We actually keep stats on breakage and you may be surprised to learn that there is NO correlation between price and breakage rates. In fact, the highest damage rate we have is on the highest price rim we have...the SSR Comps. Again, the Heliums are the least expensive rim we sell and has almost the lowest breakage rate. Want to know our lowest breakage rate weight rim? Enkei RP-F1."

And when you actually click on the links on the 3 forums, vendor and racing reps chime in.

Thousands of these sets of wheels have sold. A handful of Honda and Mazda boys had issues. In 2006.
    Sales reps only say what's needed to pay the bills. Lol I've seen stress cracked helium's in person. It wasn't 10 years ago, either.

If any company figured out a way too make cast rims as light as forged rims, for 1/5th the cost, don't you think they would simply take over the majority of the market share for rims?

If it was"just 3 people" (3 rims) konig would have my business hands down. The failure rate on cast rims alone is not appealing.

This shouldn't even be a debated issue. There's nothing you can say that detracts from the fact that these rims have failed, and could continue too fail catastrophically, for little reason.

Is it really worth risking your car to save a few dollars on some rims? Quit being silly.