Thread: mt5 drain plug length?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

mt5 drain plug length?

I would like to put a magnetic drain plug in the five speed. I found an 18mm version, but it seemed a bit on the long side. How long is the stock drain bolt? How much distance is there from the bolt seat to the internals of the transmission? What is the longest bolt I can safely use?

Any insights appreciated, as I would like to change the oil very soon. Finding 75w-80 synthetic is proving difficult.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ESpecially frugal hatch 1.2 manual: 49.3 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    I would like to put a magnetic drain plug in the five speed. I found an 18mm version, but it seemed a bit on the long side. How long is the stock drain bolt? How much distance is there from the bolt seat to the internals of the transmission? What is the longest bolt I can safely use?

Any insights appreciated, as I would like to change the oil very soon. Finding 75w-80 synthetic is proving difficult.
    Not sure about the bolt length, but my guess is they are probably all pretty standardized. As far as fluid goes, I can heartily recommend Redline MTL. I put it in my transmission, and noticed a substantial improvement in terms of smoothness when shifting.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/r...USIaAh5X8P8HAQ

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    From the surface of the bolt where the gasket ring touches, to the inmost end, I measure 12mm. Otherwise said, it protrudes inwards 12mm minus the gasket thickness. The gasket ring might be 1mm or so thick.

Here in Europe there is absolutely no lack of sources for 100% synthetic 75W-80/GL4 or 100% synthetic 75W-80/GL4+
    Mitsubishi part Nr. of the OEM product is MZ 312644, it being very similar to PSA B712330.
    You might want to search those numbers in eepay or similar. Manufacturers like TOTAL, ROWE, Mannol, or Ravenol, and many others make it.
    That sort of oil is also specified for numerous Hyundai and Citroen/Peugoet.

Just do NOT use GL5 because that will corrode the brass synchro rings inside the gearbox, and then changing gears will become increasingly difficult.
    Made in USA are two Redline products you may also want to look at.
    Last edited by foama; 04-25-2017 at 05:48 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-25-2017)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    From the surface of the bolt where the gasket ring touches, to the inmost end, I measure 12mm. Otherwise said, it protrudes inwards 12mm minus the gasket thickness. The gasket ring might be 1mm or so thick.

Here in Europe there is absolutely no lack of sources for 100% synthetic 75W-80/GL4 or 100% synthetic 75W-80/GL4+
    Mitsubishi part Nr. of the OEM product is MZ 312644, it being very similar to PSA B712330.
    You might want to search those numbers in eepay or similar. Manufacturers like TOTAL, ROWE, Mannol, or Ravenol, and many others make it.
    That sort of oil is also specified for numerous Hyundai and Citroen/Peugoet.

Just do NOT use GL5 because that will corrode the brass synchro rings inside the gearbox, and then changing gears will become increasingly difficult.
    Made in USA are two Redline products you may also want to look at.

Thank you. I found some Suzuki GL4. 75w-80 at a reasonable price. Everything I can find for that oil says it is compatible with the Mirage transmission..

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ESpecially frugal hatch 1.2 manual: 49.3 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)