Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problems With Plastic Intakes

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Problems With Plastic Intakes

I wish this aftermarket parts list included an aluminum valve cover and aluminum intake manifold.
    I don't like that those parts are plastic from the factory....not at all.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ferrari's use plastic intake plenums/manifolds as do Toyota's and most everyone. Its a proven design.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to gone.a For This Useful Post:

Daox (06-20-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
    Ferrari's use plastic intake plenums/manifolds as do Toyota's and most everyone. Its a proven design.
    Exactly.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
    Well, Ferrarri's don't count because they are specialty/novelty car that's not designed for the rigors of daily driving, snow, weather.
    As for the plastic intakes being proven, yes proven to deteriorate and crack with age and heat cycles.
    This is documented over and over again.
    Just because something is popular doen't mean it's better. Don't let the bean counters brainwash you.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,566 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyess333 View Post
    Well, Ferrarri's don't count because they are specialty/novelty car that's not designed for the rigors of daily driving, snow, weather.
    As for the plastic intakes being proven, yes proven to deteriorate and crack with age and heat cycles.
    This is documented over and over again.
    Just because something is popular doen't mean it's better. Don't let the bean counters brainwash you.
    I look at it this way, if the plastic intake lasts 250k (and there is no indication so far they won't) installing a metal intake seems to be a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. It seems to be reliable enough for Toyota, Lexus etc.. Good enough for me, bean counters aside, it's apparently good enough to pass engineering design requirements for most manufacturers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Most of the plastic intake failures I'm seeing are at an average of 100,000-140,000 miles. It's no secret that car manufacturers make tons of money by selling parts and service after the sale. If that means making the parts cheaper AND selling more of those parts at a premium price it's a win/win for the manufacturer.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Most of the plastic intake failures I'm seeing are at an average of 100,000-140,000 miles. It's no secret that car manufacturers make tons of money by selling parts and service after the sale. If that means making the parts cheaper AND selling more of those parts at a premium price it's a win/win for the manufacturer.
    If you're replacing OEM parts with a 3rd party aftermarket I'm not seeing how this is a "win/win" for the manufacturer. It might be a "win" for the aftermarket industry but so far on the Mirage this hasn't been an issue. Now on the other hand we have seen a few A/C issues but that's another thread. I don't want to hijack this thread. If you want I can create a thread for this subject so if there are future issues we'll have an established thread.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    New thread created

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Personally the intake manifold breaking is the last of my concerns. I'm reasonably sure in about 5 years you'll be able to buy a complete running car for a under the cost of research and development of a nicely made aluminum one, then you'll have a spare :-)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MightyMirageMpg For This Useful Post:

inuvik (06-20-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What failures are you seeing so much of? Its a pretty proven process at this point. GM has put a plastic intake manifold on virtually every variant of LSx small block V8 since 2000. Everything from Corvette race cars to work trucks with 500k miles. You would think there were be an uproar if all of those failed at 100-140k... Calm down buddy.

Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)