Thread: Shift gear squeaks

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks

Angry Shift gear squeaks

Need help im just irritated with my shift gear. if i push it to the left i hear a squeaking sound but if i push it to the right it sounds ok. how do i get rid of the squeaking? can i use grease? how do i remove the center console plastic?

the squeaking can be heard at the beginning and last part. it sounds like a mice.
    https://youtu.be/J_M1TW6dRc4

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Center console is easy,

Going from memory there is 2 bolts and 2 push pins

The bolts are 10mm socket heads (or 8?) And are located one behind the e-brake, actually in the back seat area. There's a trap door u pull down and open up.
    The other bolt is in front of the e-brake actually under the handle, there's another trap door (removable piece) you simply grab squeeze and twist, the panel will pop open.

There's two push in pins located on the very front, that go sideways into the dash. Carefully pry the center out and then pull the entire pin out.

Unscrew the shifter knob and leave the boot in place, the boots kind of a pain so try to leave it alone lol

Then pull the entire console out and put a wad of grease on everything thatt moves. Factory appeared too use white lithium grease.

May want to check in cupholders and tray for another screw or bolt.

Should take you 5 minutes to get it out. You'll need an extension for the bolts.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MightyMirageMpg For This Useful Post:

mitsumi (06-23-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Here is a thread with some pics:

DIY short shifter installation
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

mitsumi (06-23-2016)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    i dont have a lithium grease what i have at home is a color red grease dont know whats it called but its used for gears like bike, motorbikes etc. can i use it? or is there any other brand i can use?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I'm not sure how lithium grease works with regular grease. Perhaps you can just smear it around so it doesn't squeak.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (06-24-2016),mitsumi (06-23-2016)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    @Daox i did try this morning and it did lessen the noise and feels like the gear is much softer. i just noticed that the white grease in the gear is like on the sides. i think it should be checked once or twice a month and apply new grease for the gear. Thanks for the help