Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hit & Run on video!

Country
    Panama
    Thanks

Angry Hit & Run on video!

Hey guys! Some months ago, I got a hit and run situation. I just wanted to show you the video and the damage of the mirage. Thanks to my dashcam I could get the plate number and made him pay everything. (USD 2500.00)

Name:  IMG_4784.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  85.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_4789.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  86.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_4795.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  83.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_5162.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  88.8 KB

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kreimerka For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (07-15-2016)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Your dashcam just paid for itself many times over. I got one the first year I had my Mirage after another driver ran a red while texting, I saw him coming, fortunately.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Very nice catch by your dash cam.
    I wish mine had done so well. I have a KDlinks X1 cam and when I checked the sd card after I was rearended I found that it had not recorded anything for days, including the accident. So much for peace of mind.
    Kudos to you though, people like that need to be caught.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to IchabodCrane For This Useful Post:

mohammad (01-04-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Too bad you had to go through this, but thanks for sharing the outcome. I'm glad to hear your camera worked well enough to capture the license, and that the driver was caught.

Could you share more detail about the camera you used? How did you mount & wire it?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Panama
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by strawboss View Post
    Your dashcam just paid for itself many times over. I got one the first year I had my Mirage after another driver ran a red while texting, I saw him coming, fortunately.
    Thatīs crazy, actually I got hit in a intersection by a texting driver, my mirage was destroyed. This cameras are the best thing on earth haha! Greetings from Panama! (sadly, I wasn`t recording this time...)
    Name:  IMG_5848.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  84.0 KB

Country
    Panama
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    Very nice catch by your dash cam.
    I wish mine had done so well. I have a KDlinks X1 cam and when I checked the sd card after I was rearended I found that it had not recorded anything for days, including the accident. So much for peace of mind.
    Kudos to you though, people like that need to be caught.
    Thatīs very stressing, sometimes it used to happen to me, it starts recording like corrupted files that wonīt open. It used to happen to me when I would use the car with the battery switch on with the car turned off, and then when you start the car; that lapse when the car stops sending 12v socket in short seconds and gets again the power with the car turned on, the camera like gets confused and makes the file corrupted. (Thatīs my theory, I stopped doing that and it works now.)
    Greetings from Panama!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kreimerka View Post
    Thatīs crazy, actually I got hit in a intersection by a texting driver, my mirage was destroyed. This cameras are the best thing on earth haha! Greetings from Panama! (sadly, I wasn`t recording this time...)
    Name:  IMG_5848.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  84.0 KB
    Ouch, was anyone hurt? And did the texting driver take responsibility?Or did you have witnesses?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Panama
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Too bad you had to go through this, but thanks for sharing the outcome. I'm glad to hear your camera worked well enough to capture the license, and that the driver was caught.

Could you share more detail about the camera you used? How did you mount & wire it?

Thank you! Sure, Iīm using a Mio Mivue 538. Itīs a great camera, my dad and I have been using it since 2014 and itīs working great.
    You can find it on eBay or Amazon, you can see it in action in other of my videos here. Here are also some pictures of the camera location, it was very easy to do, you just need a plastic knife and you push the cables inside the side pilar and the roof; and I also removed the glove box in order to put the remaining cable inside at the back of it. In youtube there`s a lot of videos on how to do it. Greetings from Panama!

Name:  IMG_6820.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  87.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_6821.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  88.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_6822.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  81.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_6823.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  76.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_6824.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  100.6 KB

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kreimerka For This Useful Post:

Eggman (06-29-2016)

Country
    Panama
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by strawboss View Post
    Ouch, was anyone hurt? And did the texting driver take responsibility?Or did you have witnesses?

I was alone at that moment, and I wasn`t hurt at all. First, when he got out of the car he told me that he was "checking his wallet" and he was distracted because of that. I was like, ok... call your insurance company and we will solve it quickly. When my dad arrives he started to talk to this guy and I can hear him say that the yellow light is very short (this is so wrong in anyway, but he wasnīt even at the yellow light, because a car before him ran his red light! when mine was green, so it was a loooong time for him to stop, when Iīm reaching the intersection he appears from nowhere.) and I was like what!? you said you where distracted! and he startedd to say stupid things and when the police came, he was saying that I ran my red light etc... So, what I did was that I studied the cycle of the traffic lights and it was impossible for me to run the red light and collide with him, in that case I would crash another cars row. It were MONTHS and months fighting against him, I even won the case because of this evidence and he appealed! and asked for an accident reconstruction. At the end, he had to pay a stupid fine of 30$ for running a red light and pay my car repair wich was of 8500 USD.
    (He was driving a company car, Izuzu D-max truck.) Hereīs the post I made about this.
    http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...airbags-deploy

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    I wired up a separate cigarette lighter outlet under the dash for mine...right near the fuse box. Just get an 'Add-A-Circuit' connector for your fuse box and stick it in the location for the rear wiper. This will give you switched 12v power.

Connect the red lead from the lighter plug to the 'Add-A-Circuit', connect the black lead to a ground near the fuse panel, and you are all set.

This way, you do not have to use the car's cigarette lighter to plug the camera in, and are free to use it for a cellphone charger, etc.