Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you getting out of a tank?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchbackkid82 View Post
    Just curious to see what others are getting out of a tank.

I'm not getting anything over 300 miles Closest i got was 270 miles from the tank. Starting to wonder if something is wrong with my car.

No I'm not flooring it, usually drive with the ECO light on and between 2K-2800 rpms. Driving is usually a combination of city and highway. Even in the city the avg fuel economy I get is 24 mpg according to the gauge.
    I want to point out something I think is a fault. I have ran the car down to the point where it shows -- as the Miles remaining till empty, because the tank is so low. At this point you would think the tank was about empty right?! But, I have done this 10 times now and every time I can only put in about 6.8 gallons. This means there is still 2.4 gallons in the tank as a reserve. At 40MPG that's still almost 100 miles I could have gone!!!

The most messed up part is that is almost exactly 1/4 of the total fuel capacity!!!!!!! :/

45MPH 10 miles strait.
    Attachment 6595

Reverse direction at 45MPH, got stuck at a few red light, but no traffic. Kept it under 3k RPMs
    Attachment 6596

Last edited by HitShane; 06-30-2016 at 05:45 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    We drive it through the last square blinking, then about 30 miles while the whole thing is blinking. Then it will take 7-7.5 gallons.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
    What kind of driving do you do? What car did you have before and what kind of mileage did you get in it?

Do you do a lot of short trips, like start it up, drive two or three miles to work on 35-45 MPH roads, then a mile or two the grocery store after work and then back to the house? You will get bad mileage in any car in that scenario because it never really warms up and is running rich the whole time.

We do mostly in-town driving in ours, with a lot of traffic, but most drives are at least 10 miles, usually around 20 miles each way and sometimes turning around and coming right back after picking someone up. We get 35-38 MPG in traffic with the A/C cranked and low-mid 40s in the spring and fall when you don't have to use the A/C.

In town, try doing some mild hypermiling. If you see a stop sign or red light in the distance just lift off the accelerator and coast up to it as long as possible (without annoying people behind you). Leave it in gear and pretty much the entire time you are coasting it will not be using any gas.
    It's a combination of city and highway. I had 2010 Toyota Yaris, that got 340-360 miles out of the tank.

Not many short trips really. My commute is 45 mins about 12 miles, with 9 of that being on the highway

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
    We drive it through the last square blinking, then about 30 miles while the whole thing is blinking. Then it will take 7-7.5 gallons.
    I guess the closest I took it, was no squares blinking for about 10 miles. Still, with you at 7 gallons you still had 2.2 gallons of fuel left! Out of a 9.2 Gallon Tank!!! You had 60-80 more miles to go lol. 100 on a flat highway!

EDIT: The system doesn't count the last 2~ gallons (20%+) of fuel for measurements...

EDIT: 2 Just add 2 more gallons at your average MPG to the number you got before empty, for the actual max fuel range!

EDIT: 3 Take a gas can with you if you are testing this and reply back!!!
    Last edited by HitShane; 06-30-2016 at 06:30 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HitShane View Post
    I guess the closest I took it, was no squares blinking for about 10 miles. Still, with you at 7 gallons you still had 2.2 gallons of fuel left! Out of a 9.2 Gallon Tank!!! You had 60-80 more miles to go lol. 100 on a flat highway!

EDIT: The system doesn't count the last 2~ gallons (20%+) of fuel for measurements...

EDIT: 2 Just add 2 more gallons at your average MPG to the number you got before empty, for the actual max fuel range!

EDIT: 3 Take a gas can with you if you are testing this and reply back!!!
    Haha I've thought about that too lol. Wait so what I'm getting is that I'm filling up way too soon even thought e fuel gauge is telling me otherwise.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to hatchbackkid82 For This Useful Post:

HitShane (06-30-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchbackkid82 View Post
    Haha I've thought about that too lol. Wait so what I'm getting is that I'm filling up way too soon even thought e fuel gauge is telling me otherwise.
    I fill it up when it gets down to about 1/3 (2 bars) full, because it puts less stress on the fuel pump and it rains (floods) here very often, so I would like to float and/or keep water out of the tank lol. I am also bad at watching the fuel gauge, so I do it before I forget. My normal fill up is $12-$13~ for medium grade or Ethanol free...

I have tested it though, when I knew I would have abundant gas stations around, and cooperative weather
    Last edited by HitShane; 06-30-2016 at 07:41 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My other car is a 2012 Yaris (5-speed) and it is easy for me to get 7 or 8 more MPG around town in the Mirage (same conditions). The Yaris will get upper 30s in mixed driving so if you fill it with 9.x gallons it equals a tank of 350-375 miles. In the Mirage, if you are only putting 6 gallons in and going 270 miles, that equals 45 MPG.

Do this for the most accurate MPG calculation
    • Fill up the car
    • Zero out the trip meter
    • Drive it until the whole fuel gauge starts blinking
    • Go to a gas station (ideally to the same pump at the same station) and fill it up, easing back to a slow speed once you hit 5-6 gallons (on ours the pump will sometimes shut off early if you have it on high speed right to the end)
    • Don't top it up after the pump clicks off
    • Divide miles by gallons and you will have an accurate MPG figure

9. The Following User Says Thank You to adrew For This Useful Post:

HitShane (06-30-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If you set it to "miles to empty" take it with a grain of salt. Mine said 50 to empty when I left the other day, was gonna see if I could squeeze it until I got to the north towns where gas is cheaper as that is where I was heading. It dropped to 40 to empty right after I pulled out of the driveway. I coaxed it and got it up to a 48.1mpg average (with the AC on no less) and when I had gone 30 miles flipped it to miles to empty and it still said 50. Car took just about 7 gallons.

I usually fill up just before this and seem to be averaging 42mpg.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to man114 For This Useful Post:

HitShane (06-30-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I run my mirage hard as a uber car and delivery car. I idle a lot with ac on and drive fully loaded with ac on often. 5 speed, I drive fast too 3-3.5k rpm shift p175-65r14 I get around 36-42mpg about 70% highway. It's not uncommon for me to idle 4-6 hours during the day with ac on. Like I said I am very hard on my mirage and it makes good money for me. I thought about getting a beater car for delivery but the mirage is just so cheap to run it outweighs the cost of owning a second car. The only delivery car I'll consider owning is a first generation Honda Insight.
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to alex16 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (06-30-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by man114 View Post
    If you set it to "miles to empty" take it with a grain of salt. Mine said 50 to empty when I left the other day, was gonna see if I could squeeze it until I got to the north towns where gas is cheaper as that is where I was heading. It dropped to 40 to empty right after I pulled out of the driveway. I coaxed it and got it up to a 48.1mpg average (with the AC on no less) and when I had gone 30 miles flipped it to miles to empty and it still said 50. Car took just about 7 gallons.

I usually fill up just before this and seem to be averaging 42mpg.
    Yes, that is a dynamic reading. If you get better MPG for 30 seconds then it will update a better number :P, But it only does in increments of 10, so until you get better than 5 miles till empty, it wont update

Attachment 6598

Attachment 6599

Attachment 6600

Quote Originally Posted by alex16 View Post
    I run my mirage hard as a uber car and delivery car. I idle a lot with ac on and drive fully loaded with ac on often. 5 speed, I drive fast too 3-3.5k rpm shift p175-65r14 I get around 36-42mpg about 70% highway. It's not uncommon for me to idle 4-6 hours during the day with ac on. Like I said I am very hard on my mirage and it makes good money for me. I thought about getting a beater car for delivery but the mirage is just so cheap to run it outweighs the cost of owning a second car. The only delivery car I'll consider owning is a first generation Honda Insight.
    I also use mine about 1000 miles a week under the same conditions. I work for a marketing company delivering samples to customers. I also ford 2-3 foot water constantly throughout the week with no problems. Trac off, Low Gear! This is a great do all vehicle!

Last edited by HitShane; 06-30-2016 at 09:34 PM.