Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Yaris shocks and springs?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    Tangential describes the ends of the springs. Basically a tangential spring looks like it was cut from the center of a bigger spring, or like the spring just keep going.

Look here for some pictures http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...ng-install-DIY
    The second post, 2nd too last picture shows exactly what I mean

The Honda fit springs were perfect in stiffness but i really couldn't stand the bumps top issue. I have a pair I'll sell you for $5 plus shipping if your interested.

When you guys are swapping around shocks and springs etc keep in mind suspension droop. If you don't have a jounce (full droop) stop before the spring slacks your going to have a really bad day.

Koni makes (10 position?) adjustable for the Toyota echo. They are $90/ea and will bolt in minus the bumpstop issue, that may or may not be an actual problem. The good thing about the konis, they are liquid charged so the ride height doesn't matter. This is very important so they don't blow premature. (Read that straight face???? Lol)

I'm sure if you looked hard enough you could find a cut-a-strut from koni that would fit the frontb
    That's an awesome idea. Adjustable Koni's !!!... anyone have old struts that they can cut open and take measurements? I'd be willing to try the rears but I'm up here in Canada and the cost is a little too much just for an 'experiment'... I'd need a little more info if anyone tries them...

Last edited by obrother; 07-12-2016 at 08:03 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to obrother For This Useful Post:

gone.a (07-13-2016)

Country
    Puerto Rico
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    This is very interesting. there was no way I was going too be able too simply pull the rear springs out by hand without dropping my shock. I even ran Honda fit springs for a while that if I recall correct were slightly shorter, and they were locked tight.

I also included a picture of my factory front spring next too an eibach spring. Clearly the factoryy spring is easily 2" longer, plus the 3/4" or so the eibach squished. It obviously would be under some pretty high pressure, because i cannot collapse the spring down 2" by hand

I have a 2015 I bought used. I wonder if different years got different leagth springs, struts or shocks, if my springs were changed prior to me owning the car.... or maybe I'm remembering wrong?? Herm.

So.... OP, any thoughts after a while of use???
    So far its perfect, no nasty stiff ride or jarring, no noises or rattling, even ride height but way improved body roll and carrying capacity. Now I can have 3 adults in it and some cargo and it doesnt sink in the back. I would 100% recommend this to anyone. I have beat the crap out of these in the mountains alone, and if that didnt cause issues I dont think anything will. As for the front I picked up some Mk3 Jetta rear lowering springs for $20 I wana try. I will also swap the sway bar end link bushings to poly.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caramanos2000 For This Useful Post:

gone.a (07-13-2016),MightyMirageMpg (07-14-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sorry for being lazy. What rear springs and shocks to get caramanos?
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to alex16 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (07-13-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Caramanos2000 View Post
    So far its perfect, no nasty stiff ride or jarring, no noises or rattling, even ride height but way improved body roll and carrying capacity. Now I can have 3 adults in it and some cargo and it doesnt sink in the back. I would 100% recommend this to anyone. I have beat the crap out of these in the mountains alone, and if that didnt cause issues I dont think anything will. As for the front I picked up some Mk3 Jetta rear lowering springs for $20 I wana try. I will also swap the sway bar end link bushings to poly.
    Just to clarify- are you trying rear Jetta springs in the front or did you mean to say front Jetta springs? Reason I ask is that based on your success I might just copy your findings.

I should have my rear yaris springs installed in a few days and will also report my thoughts here.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to gone.a For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (07-14-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Is there a top and bottom to the Yaris springs? They seem identical. Only markings are small dabs of dark and light green paint.

EDIT - I have had the rear Yaris springs in for a few days now and I also agree with the OP that they are far superior to the OEM springs. The ride is firm, planted, with controlled body roll, but not harsh and I am very happy with them. The stock damper also seems to be well suited to the springs.

Now we just need to find some cheap front springs to stiffen things up a bit without lifting the car.
    Last edited by gone.a; 07-23-2016 at 05:28 PM.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Hi sir, I am lulu from the philippines. May i know what specific year make of yaris?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by luluboy View Post
    Hi sir, I am lulu from the philippines. May i know what specific year make of yaris?
    After reading through the thread, this is the closest I can find.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
    I've been doing some digging, looks like the 2012 and 2013 Yaris part numbers are the same. Prior years are different, and I believe 2014 is also different. So If you want to try this mod look for 2012 and 2013 springs. Not sure about 2014 onward

The 2012 US based Yaris SE trim came with a sport tuned suspension option, and what I can only assume were slightly stiffer springs but I have not been able to locate those online.

Also, I have found rear spring part numbers 4823152F30, which is the one offered at the few US based Toyota parts dealers I have looked at and also part # 4823152F40 which is a Mexico/Rough Road spec spring, which I am assuming is slightly softer??

OP - Do you happen to know the part number of your springs?

I just ordered the 4823152F30 rear springs, should have them installed in about 2-3 weeks. Will report back with perhaps a new thread regarding ride and handling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caramanos2000 View Post
    I cant speak about the se model because we dont have it in pr. As far as the other yaris im 99% sure all years will work, part numbers may differ but are identical. I currently have 2005 yaris ksport coilovers installed in my 2013 yaris and previous to that had 2010 springs in it. They are all interchangeable minus the se which probably just has stiffer dampening.
    This is a good question as I can't find where Caramanos2000 says which year he used.

Welcome to the forum.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey there guys!

I want to lower my Mirage and I think I am going to try out these 2013 Yaris lowering springs. It doesn't say how much it lowers it but I'm thinking its probably 1.5 inches, if not than 1.3 inches. It doesn't give too much info on them which kind of worries me, but other year Yaris springs they have to offer does provide info about them. I guess I'll just have to test them out. I hope the spring rate is close to stock 2013 Yaris. Thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A1F86TF7G43XA2
    Empty to full in $12 flat.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasMirage2 View Post
    Hey there guys!

I want to lower my Mirage and I think I am going to try out these 2013 Yaris lowering springs. It doesn't say how much it lowers it but I'm thinking its probably 1.5 inches, if not than 1.3 inches. It doesn't give too much info on them which kind of worries me, but other year Yaris springs they have to offer does provide info about them. I guess I'll just have to test them out. I hope the spring rate is close to stock 2013 Yaris. Thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A1F86TF7G43XA2
    In my opinion...

Save your money. Unless they can supply specs, like spring rate and the amount it lowers the car....

Not to mention... nobody knows if they even fit the front of the car. You'll likely have too cut the spring for the front, too, because it needs too have the right amount of wind, and if I recall correctly, a progressive spring would definitely not fit.

On the other hand... it's only $100... and might end up as the "go to setup" for low budget...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MightyMirageMpg For This Useful Post:

VegasMirage2 (09-06-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    In my opinion...

Save your money. Unless they can supply specs, like spring rate and the amount it lowers the car....

Not to mention... nobody knows if they even fit the front of the car. You'll likely have too cut the spring for the front, too, because it needs too have the right amount of wind, and if I recall correctly, a progressive spring would definitely not fit.

On the other hand... it's only $100... and might end up as the "go to setup" for low budget...

Does the Yaris have progressive springs in the front? Also why would a progressive spring not work on the Mirage?

Empty to full in $12 flat.